Thinking about getting FZ6 or FZ1, opinions!

Jerm

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here's the deal. I'm 29 (almost 30, noooooo) and guess I'm going through a pre-midlife crisis. I've owned an FZR600 for 3 years and have had my current 2002 YZF600r for 6 years now. Looking to get a bike with a little more upright riding position. Originally I was looking at a honda 919, then a Kawasaki Z1000. Have always liked Yamaha's (obviously) but for some reason just wasn't real keen on the looks of the FZ6 or FZ1, but but after seeing the pics of the FZ1-N I pretty much decided I'd get an FZ and do the Euro naked conversion. Best looking naked IMO.

I now need to decide whether I should get an FZ1 or be a good sensible adult and get an FZ6. I'm 5'10 200lbs and ride usually ride with my wife who's 5'2'' and 110lb.

I have been riding motorcycle's for over 8 years so I'm pretty sure I can handle the power. I don't do wheelie's or go crazy speeds and always wear full gear and have felt at times that I just wish my YZF600r would have a little more power. Not all the times, just some. Any input on the acceleration difference between a 2002 YZF600r and a 2006 or 2007 FZ6?

Any comments on a FZ1 versus FZ6 for me and my situation? I have the money for either (willing to spend around $6,000).

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i love the fz6 but based on what you said i'd go for the fz1. if it were just you i'd say the fz6. it has plenty of power. but adding your wife to the picture i'd go ahead and get the bigger bike. on top of more power you have adjustable suspension.

i've never sat on an fz1 so i can't say... but i'm guessing it's a little more "sport" with the flat bars than the "standard" fz6 with our bars. but i think eric will chim in and give some more detailed info. and he'll probably tell you to go with an fz1 as well. :D

Jerm

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ride a YZF600R? How's the power compared to a ~2007 FZ6?

I keep kicking this back and forth. I'd like to save a few bucks (who wouldn't) and an FZ6 should suit me just fine. Just the thought of owning a literbike keeps pulling me the other way (even though I've never driven one).

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
With 8 years of riding experience with 600 cc class sportbikes, I'd say you're ready for the FZ1.

Try sitting on the FZ1 or even schedule a test drive if your local dealer will allow it. You'll find the FZ1's seating position is slightly more forward leaning than the FZ6, but it's not too bad.

Happy shopping!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate. Don't you just hate having a choice...lol? I've had and loved both. Both magic bikes for doing the lot.

The FZ6 has the grab rails, and I'm sure, a more comfy pillion seat. (I've never sat on the FZ1 pillion seat but it looks less comfy). It certainly won't struggle to move the two of you either.

The FZ1 has the grunt to not notice a pillion at all.

They both bog down at low revs, making them a good choice for commuting, and also keeping your pillion's feet on the pegs, as they don't get scarey until you make them rev a bit. Having said that, they will also launch like a rocket if you slip the clutch off the lights and stay in the power band (not your pillions favourite move I'm sure...lol)

If you're a little bored with a sporty 600 though, then you'll probably get used to the FZ6 pretty quickly and be looking for more.

The FZ1 hasn't had that effect on me yet...lol...every time I reach for more it says, "Oh yeah? How much can you handle?":eek::rockon::D

Best of luck with your choice.:thumbup:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that the Fz1 rear seat is not really comfortable. It has the power but the FZ6 seats are much better for touring IMO....buy the FZ1 for you and the FZ6 for the wife (or vice versa) :rockon:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ride a YZF600R? How's the power compared to a ~2007 FZ6?

I keep kicking this back and forth. I'd like to save a few bucks (who wouldn't) and an FZ6 should suit me just fine. Just the thought of owning a literbike keeps pulling me the other way (even though I've never driven one).

I've put some miles on my friends 05 YZF and it's not as quick as the FZ6 is. The FZ6 weighs less (30lbs) and has about 10 hp more. The YZF has a higher top speed by almost 10mph.

Another inexpensive standard to consider would be a Bandit 1200S. :Flash:

KutWrite

Reaction score
www.radiofreemind.com
My thought is this:

I just traded a Honda 919 for a 2008 FZ6.

I know I'm going to miss the grunt of the 919, and I didn't ride two up... but...

The insurance is less; signifantly less than an FZ1 would've been - I priced it.

Also, the gas milage on the 919 was not that great - about 42mpg; 120 miles before the "fill me" gas light came on. My Honda car gets 33 or so, and lasts 340 mi on a tankful. So, the 919 wasn't much of an improvement there. I suspect the FZ1 eats more gas than the 919.

I had an FZ600 when they were new, and feel the FZ6 is much faster. Smoother, too, even though cruising RPM is higher.

So, the question is, how often does your wife want to ride as a passenger? Also, what's your budget for gas and insurance, AFTER making payments on the bike?

I keep getting tempted to get a Victory Hammer S instead of the FZ6 - but I think that's my ego talking. I keep imagining a few deep dips & curves I drive over, and trying those with a 725 lb V-twin cruiser instead of a nimble Fizzer. "Oh, OK," I then say.

I hope this stream-of-consciousness somehow helps.

Dan

Jerm

Reaction score
Visit site
Still going back and forth. Anyone ride a YZF600R and switched to a FZ6? What's the riding position in comparison? How does the power compare between the 2? If it's the same I'll probably go with an FZ6 since the YZF was enough power for me. I sat on both the FZ1 and FZ6 and they both felt good. I thought they felt more comfy than my YZF600r but it's hard to tell with just a few minutes sitting on the seat in the showroom after a 45minute drive in the car.

As far as costs are concerned, I can really afford either. I'll pay cash for either choice and my budget doesn't take a hit with either gas expense.

I really wish I could test drive the FZ1, the 2 dealers in the area don't allow test drives (what's up with that????). I guess the only reason why I'm leaning away from the 1 is because I've never driven a liter bike. Just hoping having that much power doesn't turn out to be a bad thing down the road. Also my YZF is plenty fast for the riding I do.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
sound like you are trying to convince yourself that the fz6 is OK for you but you would love the fz1 more. so y not? got for it since your budget allows.

cdnfz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding for 20 years and have owned a litre bike only once and was not for a long time. I just cannot justify paying more ins for it when the 600 has plenty of power and can get you into trouble all the same. Both bikes are a great choice. Good luck!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For two up riding, the FZ1. Nice grunt, plenty of power, much better suspension, and brakes.

I found an '09, bone stock, with 800 miles for $6,800. I'm not saying where because I may buy it! :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Saddlery also makes a great saddle for the FZ1. Since you'd be buying the faired version, it will have the pillion pegs and grab rails. Converting is simple and not so expensive any longer.

You'll enjoy the extra torque for two-up riding a lot more on the 1. Since the Gen II is now in it's 5th year, there are not many companies that DON'T make a mod for this bike. Most are fairly cheap too.

The only complaint I can see is the range of the tank. This is my only beef with the FZ1. It should have had a larger capacity tank. Looking for fuel every 140 miles can get tiresome on a road trip when you were used to 210 miles on the FZ6. And with the TS seat, I ONLY have to stop for gas now! :D