Thin paint

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I stripped off the back end plastics today,as I have some ultra tough satin black arriving tomorrow to freshen up the panels.Anyway I was shocked that after a couple of very light passes with some 800 grit wet and dry,I was down to and past the factory primer on the grab rail section.

The only reason I'm respraying these,is the rails are proper marked up by my cargo net rubbing (I even stuck some tape on there once,so I didn't loose the end when I was doing something and it took some of the paint off )
And the side panels had light scuffs and scratches that wouldn't polish out.

I would have thought Yamaha would have splashed on a bit more paint.It seems like it is literally a couple of microns thick.What with that and the paint coming off the rims when I used the jet washer on them,I'm thinking mine must have gone through the spray booth on a Friday afternoon,when everyone wanted to bugger off early for the weekend......:spank:

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
Same same, made a few gentle passes with some automotive rubbing compound on the grab bars to blend a cargo net hook scratch and went right through the paint. Fortunately it was on the underside of one of the rails and is not obvious. Then a small bungee cord wrapped around the bar left a permanent impression of the cord weave, it's a thin and delicate paint. Perhaps some electrical tape on the contact areas or the clear 3M protective sheets ( 3 big sheets in a $15.00 package from Factory Effex, picked it up at a local Yamaha Dealer) might serve to look good and protect the rails. For trips maybe a black rubber hose split lengthwise that would self-clamp or anything else to protect the paint from straps and cords. Ideas anyone? The tank appears to have a thicker coating, “Tanks a lot Yamaha!”