Thievin Bastards!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks mate. It does set it off nicely. If I had a naked, I wouldn't worry, but they do look good on the faired bikes. Next one I get I'll intstall with Torx security screws and locktite. (It's just taken me over an hour to remove the 8 screws holding my top box bracket on, using a drill, different pliers, nails- don't ask...)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you that it is unlikely to have fallen off. How often do you check the fastening. Is is possible two of the three came undone and then the last one failed. Having said that you would have surely ridden over it or noticed it.

Nelly

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about possible scenarios. I doubt 3 bolts could all fall out at the same time. If one or two of them worked loose, then surely I would have seen or heard some rattling/flapping around before the final one eventually gave way. But no, I hadn't checked the bolts recently, but again, to all of a suden lossen after 3 years.

I guess I'll never know for sure.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you get the new pan, a couple of options you can do to keep it (or at least slow down the theivery considerably:

(1)Get longer bolts (if there's room) and self locking nuts. Use locktite while installing the longer bolts, then double lock with the nuts on the inside.

(2)Besides the above, if you have access to a drill press, drill a VERY SMALL HOLE in the ends of the longer bolts for either a cotter pin or safety wire. Yes, it'll be a PIA, but more so for the thieves!!! And gaurenteed NOT TO LOOSE THEM without lots of help....

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Good tip about the cotter pin/safety wire. You do see that on a lot of race cars/bikes. I'll definately do that.

My main concern now is whether to put the rear seat cowl on. I'm re-painting the bike and was going to put the cowl on but I'm concerned the same thieves might come back for that. Only way I can think of securing that is Torx (or other style) security screws.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good tip about the cotter pin/safety wire. You do see that on a lot of race cars/bikes. I'll definately do that.

My main concern now is whether to put the rear seat cowl on. I'm re-painting the bike and was going to put the cowl on but I'm concerned the same thieves might come back for that. Only way I can think of securing that is Torx (or other style) security screws.

They already have one now, so I really wouldn't think it would happen again.

Re the torx screws, excellent idea. To go one step farther, being the screws are pretty small, get the SECURITY TORX screws (with the pin in the middle), they won't screw with it anymore, too much trouble, time, specialty tools to screw with....

They'll need a special torx, security tool to remove the cowl :thumbup:

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
They already have one now, so I really wouldn't think it would happen again.

Re the torx screws, excellent idea. To go one step farther, being the screws are pretty small, get the SECURITY TORX screws (with the pin in the middle), they won't screw with it anymore, too much trouble, time, specialty tools to screw with....

They'll need a special torx, security tool to remove the cowl :thumbup:

Considering a security torx wrench set is about $10 or less on eBay i don't really think it is worth it! If they want to steal it, they will steal it, torx or no torx.

The best prevention is to move your bike to a safer place...