The VFR dilema

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I came across a great deal on a 2007 used VFR in the 25th anniversary edition. The price is under $5k and it looks to be in good shape. I have had my FZ6 since new in April, 2008 and put 10,300 mils on it almost all city. I ride the FZ6 in the rain and two-up, almost exclusively in the city. Anybody had a Gen 6 VFR or went to it from an FZ6. My only concern is that it is bigged than the FZ6 physically and my use will be mostly in the city. I also have a MOnster for fun which handles and feels remarkably different than the FZ6. Thoughts? There is nothing wrong with my FZ6. I do wish for more torque and for it to be smoother (like the Honda will be). After 2.5 years I am itching to replace it (not logically!). Was also thinking of the GSX650F, but think it's too close in specs to the FZ6

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
My recommendation is to ride it first if the seller will let you. I rode a brand new 06 VFR and it did not impress in real life like my imagination had led me to believe beforehand. My impressions were this compared to a stock 06 FZ6.

Heavier...tires were terrible...exhaust note needed improvement...not any quicker than the FZ6....more expensive to maintain.

I love the look of the VFR...riding position a little sportier...stock seat was more comfortable.

All the observations I have made can be changed with a few mods, thats just my 2 cents worth comparing stock 06 FZ6 to stock 06 VFR.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
dankatz, if you don't buy it, I'm gonna find it and buy it out from under you! LOL.

Seriously, that's the only bike I'd take over my FZ. That year and that color scheme (and my X-11 Lawson replica would match it perfectly).

Just FYI, though. I've got a riding buddy that has that exact bike and he's started having some electrical problems. He had previously owned a '01 or '02 VFR and had a MAJOR electrical problem that resulted in the bike catching fire and literally burning up on the side of the road. He was told by the dealer before he bought the '07 that those problems had been fixed, but a few days ago, he started experiencing the same pre-fire problems as he'd had on the first one. Obviously, he'd been through it before and recognized the symptoms and was able to stop and get off the bike before it had a chance to catch on fire. It's now at the dealer and they're trying to figure things out. But you should do some research on that issue before jumping in.

As long as the electrical problems have, in fact, been nullified, that's one sweet bike!

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
I just traded my 07 VFR in on the FZ6 ! Therefore, I could likely help you out with this by sharing 'my' opinion.

The VFR does have more low end torque and when the rpm hit 6500 the VTEC kicks in and the bike comes alive. Running on two valves per cylinder and then 4 valves per cylinder when you hit that rpm. It can be annoying, or at least I found it annoying.

The bike, although very maneuverable, kinda felt clumsy to me. Perhaps that was just my perspective because I had been riding cruiser style bikes prior to the change to sport-touring. The riding position was too forward for me and both of my hands would get numb after a good amount of time in the saddle.

Lastly, I just could never reach a comfort level on the bike that enable a truly enjoyable ride. The VFR has been a very popular bike for many years. It is considered to be one of the finest sport-touring bikes around. It just was not for me.

Oh, and as stated before, maintenance is pricey! Having the valves checked/adjusted is said to be several hundred dollars. :eek:

I am absolutely impressed by the FZ6 and have yet to find a complaint!

Hope I helped a little.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advise. I am at the point where I need to replace tires on my Yamaha and am trying to decide if I should start investing in it or change to something else after 2.5 years.

My friend has a 1993 VFR which he has had for 11 years and loves it. I am 5'8" and my only fear is that the VFR would be a tad big for me in the city. Nothing too wrong with my Yamaha, but now I have a Monster as well which is my bike of choice for a Sunday morning ride. My wife rides with me as well, so need something comfy for two up, with grab handles, and rear trunk. The VFR I am checking out has the rear rack and trunk which can be negotiated into the price.

My other worry is trying to sell the FZ6 in this market.... I am hoping to check out the VFR this week. It is not registered so my ride will be very short and around the block type of thing.

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you've got a VFR at hand and have the ability to negotiate the price, but if you're looking for more of a sport-touring type of bike other than that, I can recommend the Triumph Sprint ST. I've ridden a couple of them and couldn't be more impressed. They're great for 2-up too and look amazing with or without the hard bags. Just my .02. :thumbup:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
CCHouskey: I know. I saw one that has heated grips, full luggage including top case, a 2009 model (2008+ had a couple of useful mods), 6k miles and new tires for $7900. It was a beautiful black, but couldgn't get to ride it in time before it sold for $7500!. Like I said, this one VFR I am looking at is less than $5k, so the hit won't be too bad if I decide to sell it later.
I also rented a BMW F800ST for 10 days/2500km in the alps. It was a great bike with massive massive torque. I was surprised that it was as upright as the Yamaha. Besides the sewing machine sounds (would need an Akrapovic slip on) my biggest peeve with it was the belt drive and not being able to change the very tall gearing. 60mph was at 3000 rpm. Plus, good luck finding a used one...

Last edited: