The mud got me...(first time down on the roadbike)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you always read about things and say "yeah that would never happen to me"....we'll i've read plenty of falling over in the driveway stories, and being an avid dirtbiker, that was never going to happen to me.

Just got home tonight from a 3 hour shift (thanks alot Kraft :spank:), drove through the cold and rain, and was it ice, wind or cagers that got me? Nope, the mud in my driveway...

I have a gravel driveway (well it once was, more like hard packed dirt now), but where the cars tracks are a little stream 4" wide flows, so i went to the left of it. At this point my mind had stopped focusing on riding and went to the days events, as they were good ones, since i figured "i'm home"....Big mistake...

Went to the left of the stream and must have been in dirtbike mode because i drifted left and didn't realize how wet it really was and the bike just kind of slowly slide to the right, right out from under me (to the left of the car tracks is a little slope to the right).

Lesson learned. Think about riding til you're parked and the bike is shut off.
Glad it happened really, it's an eye opener. I guess sometimes you think your invincible and are a solid mix between Casey Stoner and Ricky Carmichael... til something happens.... I'm just glad my "something" happened going 5mph in my driveway landing in soft mud, instead of doing 70 down the highway landing on tarmac.

Anyways, i'm fine, the bike took the damage quite well, small scratches on the bar end on the left side (fell to the left). Washed the mud off everything else to see if there was more damage, no scratches or cracked fairing (thank god), the shift pedal got bent a little.

Anyways, lesson learned.... Bad me! :spank::spank::spank:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
sucks, but be thankful it wasn't serious. you could've effed-up your leg even from a simple dump like that, for example.

take a pic next time! :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
sucks, but be thankful it wasn't serious. you could've effed-up your leg even from a simple dump like that, for example.

take a pic next time! :thumbup:

Lol i know it, effed my leg up on the motocross bike a couple of times, both were under 10 mph wrecks.

I'd have taken a pic but it was dark, my driveways long, i didnt know if gas overflows when its down like it does on carbed dirtbikes and had no idea if there was radiator damage, figured it was best i pick it up asap.... first time i've used the kill switch :thumbup:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing you and your bike is OK. :thumbup:

Statistics show (apparently) that most bike and car accidents happen very close to home. Either because the brain disconnects from driving mode when we're almost home (like you said - "my mind had stopped focusing on riding"), or because we tend to relax and don't take things so seriously close to home ("it's only a short drive, I ride here every day").

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Very important to be 1000% focused all the way into the garage. I am a dirt biker also and sometimes think I can ride anything any where or at any time. Wrong because the brain has to be focused and it does not take much time not focusing on the task at hand to have a brain fart and dump the bike.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Good to remind us all that we're on two wheels and no matter how much experience we have, or think we have :BLAA:, always, always pay attention!

Glad to hear you are okay.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Very easily done. You can almost feel the defenses shutting down when you approach a destination which can make the end of a trip the most dangerous. Only time I dropped one was in my garage, the safest place of all! LOL

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
The situation you describe was exactly the same one I encountered a month ago. A 5mph dump that, in my case, resulted in a tibial fracture requiring surgery and 3 months of non weight bearing, crutch dependent, limited mobility, motorcycleless recovery. Believe me when I tell you it sucks, really sucks.
I'm glad your outcome was better.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Hannuka, and Happy New Year to all you FZ6 riders out there. I look forward to the day I can join you once again.