The little FZ6 that could...

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend & I did a little 330 mi loop through the forest of northern California Saturday, and I just wanta say how impressed I am with this here FZ6. :rockon:

Ourtrip.jpg

Map

Now 330 mi ain't noth'in, fancy, but this was a lot of goat trails, and 'bout 55 mi. of dirt & slimy mud. T'ain't got no video, but I did get some picz...
It started out goaty great on Leeseville

Leesville_Rd.jpg

A urinal with a view...

Urinal_With_View.jpg

Leeseville, Ladoga, and the paved part of 162/FH7 were great. Hell even the dry dirt part of FH7 wuz great, but then it started to hail which I thought wuz great too, (keeps the dust down) until, it got worse, and worse, and worse; my visor wuz covered in hail or snow, or sum other kinda white wet cold stuff from the heavens.
We thought 'bout wait'in it out, but see'in there wuz no blue sky or break in sight we had to push on.

Had a few "moments" where the bike went slidewayz, (Maybe Pilot Powers aren't the best tires fer dirt & mud?) but harkening back ta mah dirt roots, I just kept on the gas 'n everythang worked itself out.
But then whilst in 3rd gear at 'bout 35 mph go'in in a straight line, the wheels just slid out from under me! WTF? I tried pick'in the bike up, but wuz laugh'in too hard, plus mah cowboy boots didn't have much grip in the snake snot slime either. Then my ride'in buddy Kurt came along and helped me get the bike up, and told me to SLOW DOWN!!!
So I did, I took off and wuz only in 2nd gear at about 25 mph, and bailed again no more than a mile down the road.
Same thang; go'in straight and the wheels just slid out from under me; there wuz no grip! Kurt wuz shlep'in along in the duff on the shoulder of the road in 1st, so I did the same; for awhile, but then mah bike wuz over heat'in so I had to take off! I figured it wuz just all the mud & snow caked on the radiator, so up at the summit, I packed mor snow all over the motor, but that didn't help. Hummmm?

The_Summit.jpg

By now we're on the down hill side, so I coasted with the key on, and the fans cooling the motor. Once it go down to 150 degrees, I fired the thang back up, but it wuz up over 200 degrees in no time. we puled over, (The rain/snow/hail has finally stopped) and I could see where there wuz a hole in the coolant line from my git-off. :eek:
"Oh jeez, now what?"

Kurt_N_dirt.jpg

It's sum purdie country up thar!

The_View.jpg

I coasted fer 'bout 12 mi. down to Indian Dick (Which wuz difficult cuz mah rear brake wuz bent in a weird way) where we fixed the thang, (The hole in the radiator hose was right by the water pump "in" so I just 1/4" off the hose, and slid it back on.) and had lunch with sum hippies. Interest'in thang, all the locals up thar ride KLR650s and they were everywhere ride'in without helmets. True Americans live'in free!:applause
We got ta Covelo, and I called mah friend Duncan to tell him we're o.k. our roadside fix worked. :p
Even though my pinkie finger, shoulder, hip, and leg were sore, I still found the inner strength ta do HWYs 253/128 on the way home. Itwuz quite an adventure, and the FZ waz flawless! (Despite all the torture I put it through!) :cheer:

Dirt_Bikes.jpg

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like much fun was had!

Glad you could laugh about it - if I pranged my bike, I'd just sit down and sob uncontrollably!

Even luckier was that no injury was sustained - no doubt ATGATT?

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up man!!

I gotta ask though, you type like a lot of people round here talk, so where are from originally?

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like much fun was had!

Glad you could laugh about it - if I pranged my bike, I'd just sit down and sob uncontrollably!

Even luckier was that no injury was sustained - no doubt ATGATT?

Cheers,
Rick
The bike held up great! there are some "new" scratches, but I bought the bike used a few moths back, and lets just say it wasn't in "pristine" condition anyway. ;)
I was wearing my 'stitch, SHOEI RF1100. A* gloves, and redwing boots. Despite the ballistic Kevlar on the shins, I still managed to bang 'em up purdi good, and did something to my little pinky finger where it's red, black & blue, and swollen. (Made putting my gloves on & off miserable for the rest of the day)
My gear did it's job, but at 51 yrs I'm get'in kindas old ta be bouncing off the ground @ 35 mph. :BLAA:

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to take mine exploring.
They're great bikes for exploring, that's wut I got it for, but the weather caught us out this time. :( If I just had off road tires, (As opposed to Pilot Powers w/ 2,000 mi on 'em :D ) I may not have bailed?

Great write up man!!

I gotta ask though, you type like a lot of people round here talk, so where are from originally?
The backwoods of northern Cali. :america:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that's pretty cool. I never thought my FZ6 was much of an off roader but maybe so. Thanks for the pictures and ride report. Kind of funny in a weird sort of way. Glad you could make it throught the whole ride dispite the problems.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great ride report, adventure and pictures!
I don't know that I've seen an FZ6 get that dirty! LOL!
Great fix on the hose! :rockon:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend Kurt has some video, unfortunately, his lens was covered in snow, and didn't get me crashing & wallowing in the mud. :(
That's me out front on the FZ6 :cheer:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBteLFAUXy8&feature=bf_prev&list=UUkHw9KMH9BW7edlRhzXDF1g]Andy & Kurt's Big Adventure - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqbKGN1784&feature=autoplay&list=UUkHw9KMH9BW7edlRhzXDF1g&playnext=1"]FH-7 & More Storm - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: