The FZ6-R Project/Track Bike

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a R1 shock in the rear? How much better is a R1 shock compared to the R6 shock?

Ohlins 46HRC Rear Shock for me. I haven't really had a chance to ride the bike yet but almost anything is gonna be better than the OEM shock. It was too soft for 235lbs and not enough feedback when set to higher preload settings.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
how hard was it to fit the r1r6 fairing onto your bike it looks wicked and i am interested in doing that

I'm sorry. I never saw this message. Getting the 03-05 R6/06-08 R6S front fairing on required cutting up the FZ6 fairing stay and welding & bending rods and brackets to get mirror mounts. You can see this in some of the older pics I've posted.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to streetfighter the bike to get some seat time before my track day. Here are the pics...

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the headlight is temporary but does it match the bike's paint or is it just the pics?

can you even see the cluster mounted like that? (i'm assuming its attached to the tank camera bracket)

are you only running one mirror for a reason?

is that a tank pad or just a random sticker?

Looking good Oso! :thumbup:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the headlight is temporary but does it match the bike's paint or is it just the pics?

can you even see the cluster mounted like that? (i'm assuming its attached to the tank camera bracket)

are you only running one mirror for a reason?

Looking good Oso! :thumbup:

Thanks!

The Acerbis DHH fairing/headlight is closer to Yamaha Blue than the darker Galaxy Blue that my 05's gas tank is. Flash also affects my 5 year old 5MP Kodak DX7590.

I can only see the cluster when I look for the gas tank opening. :/ Indicator lights get washed out but the speedo is ok. Having the handle bars so low (1" lower than I want them) makes the angle even worse. I may have to remount them above the triple.

I only have one mirror for two reasons. The other mirror perch was cross threaded from the factory AND it won't fit with the stupid brake reservoir mounted! I'm gonna need to do something about it. It's fugly and it's integrated into the damn brake perch! I'll see if I can figure out a way to mount it up better.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see the track day pics!

How does the suspension feel? I just got my HRC in the mail last night and have not had a chance to test the R6S forks. Can you tell any difference without pushing it (not that I won't be pushing it :D)?

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see the track day pics!

How does the suspension feel? I just got my HRC in the mail last night and have not had a chance to test the R6S forks. Can you tell any difference without pushing it (not that I won't be pushing it :D)?

I can definitely tell the difference in the rear. It's firm w/o feeling too stiff. I still haven't even setup the sag for my weight. I've had the forks for over a year and they always were a huge improvement.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

The Acerbis DHH fairing/headlight is closer to Yamaha Blue than the darker Galaxy Blue that my 05's gas tank is. Flash also affects my 5 year old 5MP Kodak DX7590.

I can only see the cluster when I look for the gas tank opening. :/ Indicator lights get washed out but the speedo is ok. Having the handle bars so low (1" lower than I want them) makes the angle even worse. I may have to remount them above the triple.

I only have one mirror for two reasons. The other mirror perch was cross threaded from the factory AND it won't fit with the stupid brake reservoir mounted! I'm gonna need to do something about it. It's fugly and it's integrated into the damn brake perch! I'll see if I can figure out a way to mount it up better.

Wow, what a transformation, one day a GP bike, the next a streetfighter, gotta love the FZ.

For a mirror a bar end would work great. The good ole' Nepolean is only $19.95 or so.

When I was racing I made simple brackets with band aluminium. Simply find an ancor point, bend and or twist the band and then attach/bolt it to the speedo cluster.

On my RZ I pulled the tach dial out of the cluster and glued it into a 3.5 inch PVC pipe. Drilled holes in the pipe and mounted it up. I think it was all of $3.00 and worked great! I'm all about dirt simple and inexpensive for the track.

Have you had your track day yet Louis or is it this weekend?

BTW...I gotta the set backs last night, the look AWESOME! Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to fiddle with them.

Finally - You might want to check out my ConvertiBar install thread in the Mods section. It maybe something that will help you go between the track and the street.

Looks great Brother!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, what a transformation, one day a GP bike, the next a streetfighter, gotta love the FZ.

For a mirror a bar end would work great. The good ole' Nepolean is only $19.95 or so.

When I was racing I made simple brackets with band aluminium. Simply find an ancor point, bend and or twist the band and then attach/bolt it to the speedo cluster.

On my RZ I pulled the tach dial out of the cluster and glued it into a 3.5 inch PVC pipe. Drilled holes in the pipe and mounted it up. I think it was all of $3.00 and worked great! I'm all about dirt simple and inexpensive for the track.

Have you had your track day yet Louis or is it this weekend?

BTW...I gotta the set backs last night, the look AWESOME! Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to fiddle with them.

Finally - You might want to check out my ConvertiBar install thread in the Mods section. It maybe something that will help you go between the track and the street.

Looks great Brother!

I'll probably end up going the way of bar end mirrors.

I think bar end mirrors are where I'm going. Need to get my controls layout figured out eventually.

I'm thinking I'll get a cheapy bracket from OSH/Home Depot/Lowes and drill out the appropriate holes for the cluster.

Convertibars are where I would have liked to have gone with my clip-ons. I'm just struggling with the idea that I have to spend ~$370 for a clip-on system.

And thanks for the compliments on the set back plates. I rode the bike to work today with the set backs. I'm not liking the flipped shifter peg. The shifter peg pushes into my foot. :/ I'm thinking I'm gonna have to work that out.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Some videos of my riding to and around work and pics of the camera mount. Track day at AAA Speedway/California Speedway on the AMA Track!

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=SnC_2O2H6vM"]YouTube - FZ6-R Ride to Work 20080328[/ame]

First video @ myspace

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=HIl_awO8Obk"]YouTube - FZ6 Video Part 2[/ame]

Second video @ myspace

Pics too...