the fz1 bar install

ttoften

Reaction score
Visit site
so i finaly got my fz1 bar and new grips from my dealer. Been waiting for almost 3 weeks now.

So how difficult is it all?
anyone got some good to-do-before advice?
or a picture by picture guide :D

and ofc ill show pics when its done :D

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll need to loosen the banjo bolt on your brake master cylinder and rotate the line some so it doesn't get mooshed against the triple tree.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The brake hose that comes off of the lever, you'll need to rotate it out of the way.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Super simple. Remove your bar ends and grips. Used compressed air to save your grips if you have a compressor, otherwise cut 'em off and buy new ones. Loosen everything else and slide it off. You will need to drill a small hole (I forget the exact diameter) in the new bar for the mounting peg of the brake fluid reservior (I think that's what requires it), and put everything back on. I am a complete buffoon when it comes to mechanicals and I had no trouble with it. Took me maybe an hour a) 'cause I'm no mechanic, and b) 'cause I spent about 20 minutes with a stubborn grip. You'll do fine. :thumbup:

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two quick things:

WD-40 can be used to get the grips off and on without destroying them. It dries sticky, so the grips are tight after re-installing them.

Make sure you check the clearance of the bars after everything is installed. Mine have maybe 1/8" between the on/off switch and fuel tank.

ttoften

Reaction score
Visit site
installed it yesterday at work, so i had plenty of access to tools :D

the install wasn't that hard at all, but getting them to be "just" as i liked em, took a hell'ova'lot longer than i though :D
now they just barely miss the tank :p

Ill post pictures tomorrow. since its tooooo dirty now for a fotoshoot :D