The BMW K1300S and Why I Want One

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you look to see how many dealers there are in Alberta, let along western Canada, because that's where it has to be towed to when you're in BFE.(

I think this is a practical question to consider - even if not stranded if you want to use that 3yr warranty you need to get to a dealer. I've been lusting after a Benelli Tre-K Amazonas for a couple of years now but I just can't bear to spend "real" money on a bike that will likely need "real" service and deal with a limited dealer network. I keep figuring that I mostly use the bike for trips so I'm bound to be away from home if/when it hits the fan...

BTW - the K1300S is a nice bike.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dealerships in edmonton and calgary i dont think there are any elsewhere in alberta.

definitely something to consider but wont be make/break for me.

i am researching the reliability of this machine on some other forums from owners of the K13S and previous-gen K12S

Am leaning towards getting it, but the research will be ongoing until next season when i make the final decision. it is really looking like this bike will be my next machine though.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait and get the S1000RR :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XhjXeQSfYU]YouTube - BMW S1000RR Superbike[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYVNzJUJeKQ&feature=related[/ame]

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
Just stop looking at new bikes. Your FZ6 is fine, really.

Think of it this way: is it worth $20k so that your legs don't cramp as much? Really?

The problem with looking at new toys is that they just seem so much shinier and we don't really think about the fiscal impact they have over the long term. We rationalize what a bargain it'll be and this is what happens:

The first week you own it, it's better than sex. That new car/bike/laptop/TV is just the most awesome thing ever and you lay in bed awake at night thinking about playing with it again tomorrow.

The second week you own it, it's like getting a phone call from a pretty girl. You feel antsy when you don't have it and blissful while playing with it.

The third week you own it, it's like coming home to a hot steak. You're eager to have it and you feel satisfied once you get it.

After that, it's just your car/bike/laptop/TV.

And then you're still paying out the nose for it.

Here's my advice to you: borrow a friend's Honda Rebel or Ninja 500R or something for a week. When you get back on your FZ6, you'll get that new-toy feeling all over again after riding something that is really underpowered and uncomfortable.

I've actually found those large ST bikes to be a bit disappointing compared to the FZ6. Luggage space is really nice and all, but the heft really takes the fun out of things. Riding around on a ST1300 feels more like a cruiser in comparison because of its 9k redline needed for the torquier engine to carry the weight.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stop looking at new bikes. Your FZ6 is fine, really.

Think of it this way: is it worth $20k so that your legs don't cramp as much? Really?

The problem with looking at new toys is that they just seem so much shinier and we don't really think about the fiscal impact they have over the long term. We rationalize what a bargain it'll be and this is what happens:

The first week you own it, it's better than sex. That new car/bike/laptop/TV is just the most awesome thing ever and you lay in bed awake at night thinking about playing with it again tomorrow.

The second week you own it, it's like getting a phone call from a pretty girl. You feel antsy when you don't have it and blissful while playing with it.

The third week you own it, it's like coming home to a hot steak. You're eager to have it and you feel satisfied once you get it.

After that, it's just your car/bike/laptop/TV.

And then you're still paying out the nose for it.

Here's my advice to you: borrow a friend's Honda Rebel or Ninja 500R or something for a week. When you get back on your FZ6, you'll get that new-toy feeling all over again after riding something that is really underpowered and uncomfortable.

I've actually found those large ST bikes to be a bit disappointing compared to the FZ6. Luggage space is really nice and all, but the heft really takes the fun out of things. Riding around on a ST1300 feels more like a cruiser in comparison because of its 9k redline needed for the torquier engine to carry the weight.

that is good advice that is all too painfully accurate and true....

i will be sleeping on this decision until next year anyway....so much time to mull it over.

very good feedback though, cheers.

(but i think the bmw redlines @ 13,000 or so is max rpm on the guage)

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the only ST I've ridden was the ST1300 so I figure they're all low-tuned torque engines that are a compromise between a Goldwing and a Hayabusa.

Even still, I think I prefer the 600cc class to the bigger mills, especially for commuter bikes. My biggest gripe about the FZ6 over my old bike (1100cc Honda Shadow ACE) was that I couldn't legally have fun with it in town. On the Shadow, I could rev the bolts off of it and hear that glorious peak-and-fall sound as I shifted through the gears and would be going about 55mph as I shifted into 4th gear. Then I try the same thing on the FZ6 and I'm already breaking that speed in first gear, so I have to immediately let off and go back to hum-drum city riding.

So imagine trying to do that on something with twice the power of the FZ6.

We have the "misfortune" of having a bike with such value-for-money and practicality that it's hard to find an upgrade that doesn't cost at least $5000 more.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have the "misfortune" of having a bike with such value-for-money and practicality that it's hard to find an upgrade that doesn't cost at least $5000 more.

i know, the more that i think about it, the more i think just kitting my FZ with hard bags and a quality seat would do me just fine for at least another year or even two. I wont be doing any continent wide trips for at least a few years yet.

And I really dont need tons more power, im still learning the ropes on the FZ.

by this time next year i will have decided one way or the other...

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya id never sell the FZ she is too amazing. I just want something to supplement her to give me a long range weapon of choice in my garage.

Easyfeller

Reaction score
Visit site
Lonesoldier84:

I currently own a fully-optioned '09 K1300s (7200mi on "clock"). There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread on BMW's, and the K13S in particular. The K13 cannot remotely be considered the same as K12. There are so many upgrades and re-engineering of this new model release it's like comparing apples & oranges.

The FZ is a fine bike and you need decide what you want to do, but do not base your decisions on some false info contained in parts of this thread. For example: this bike does NOT demand a lot of maintenance. Its maintenance schedule is far less intensive than the boxer twin R models, and one of the primary reasons I traded my '08 R1200R, though a terrific bike, for this one. My K13s is my daily driver; I use it constantly like most use cars. If it were need of so much attention or so expensive to operate, I'd have nothing to do with it and bought another Japanese bike.

I've owned 5 bikes within the last 2 years and this thing is incredible. I was considering 2 Ducati models (I prefer twins) and even test rode them until I took this bike out.

Another example: Since I passed 1600mi on the bike, it has not averaged less than 46mpg... that's calculated very carefully with checks against GPS to verify miles. Tops has been an average of 49.7mpg... and that is NOT riding like grandpa! Additionally, pricing is nowhere near as bad as implied in the thread.

There is a lot more to share vs the FJR, C14, ST1300 which too are good bikes. The K13s is a true sport tourer. Anyway, if you have need of further detailed info, feel free to PM me, or preferably email at [email protected]

David

Current ride: '09 BMW K1300S
Previous: '08 BMW R1200R, '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250, '07 Suzuki SV650, '07 Suzuki M109r, '78 Suzuki GS1000, '77 Suzuki GS750, '75 Honda 400F Super Sport.

Last edited:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Lonesoldier84:

I currently own a fully-optioned '09 K1300s (7200mi on "clock"). There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread on BMW's, and the K13S in particular. The K13 cannot remotely be considered the same as K12. There are so many upgrades and re-engineering of this new model release it's like comparing apples & oranges.
. . .

Current ride: '09 BMW K1300S
Previous: '08 BMW R1200R, '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250, '07 Suzuki SV650, '07 Suzuki M109r, '78 Suzuki GS1000, '77 Suzuki GS750, '75 Honda 400F Super Sport.

Hey Easyfeller, how about a first hand report of the Hossack front end? I've heard Internet rumors say it's not as precise as traditional slider forks and may cause the bike to wander at times.

Wow, '70's bike to '07 bikes. You're making up for some lost time, heh.