The AUSSIE ONLY - OIL Thread

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
ok winter is fading. Our conditions arn't mirrored anywhere else in the world and frankly I don't really care about 'what is sold in Walmart'.
My machine is important to me and what is happening inside that engine may be vital to me one day.
I also want the next owner to get peace of mind when he gets my bike, the service records and the keys from me when I sell it.

So my friends, what I want here is your experience and your opinions.
No Hijackers welcome!Tell me:
1. Who services your FZ6 oil.
2. Your experience with oil and what you use now.
(be specific, mineral oil, semi synthetic, fully synthetic and brand and cost)
3. Your Kilometre and month interval changes. (when do you change the filter)
4. How hard you ride eg: touring cruising / road warrior / Grandma Duck
5. How long you keep your bikes before upgrading.

6. Noise level of the engine with current oil
7. Gear changing characteristics of your current oil.

and finally
8. What the oil looks like when it comes out.

It is my opinion this thread should be automatically stickied.

My bike has done 22,000 and the last Yamalube mineral oil 15 W 50 has gone in. I always change the oil at 3,000 km intervals and the filter every 6,000 km
BUT
I am sick of the noise and its time to go synthetic.

The cost is higher but when I read the opinions here I will make my JUDGEMENT.
Hopefully other members and newbies will benefit as well.

Yeah yeah, I know oil threads are done to death but this is an Aussie only thread.

Rumpole:thumbup:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Here goes
-Motul 5100 10W40 semi synthetic. $60 for 4L drum. Use it in all my bikes, road or track.
-Oil changed every 5000km by me
-New filter changed every 10,000km by me
-Ride bike to & from work each day staying under 10 grand most of the time
-I warm up the bike every time I ride it. Some days I leave home at 4am & its 5 degrees. If I have to wait 10 min for the engine to warm up to 2 bars so be it
-Occasional touring including long days up to 1200km in a day
-Weekend warrior up the putty or old rd every 3 or 4 months where the bike is thrashed to red line through out the day. Usually do this right after an oil change
-Bike has over 110,000km on the clock & the gear box is a clunky as the day I bought it :D
-Selling it???????? Who wants to buy an FZ6 with 110,000 on the clock?

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
1. I service my fz6
2. have only realy used belray semi syn, the old mans bike had motul 5100 in it when he got it and seems to run better on the belray (fzr1000)
Have used it in my fz6 old mans fzr1000 and my old gpx250. its what we put it in all the roadies at my work and everyone seems to like it.
3. oil every 5,000 and oil and filter every 10,000
4. I like to think i ride prety hard but in reality i do flog the bike on the weekends but i commute aswell
5. had the old gpx250 for my Ls and Ps and offloaded it with 30,000km on it all by me and with belray, dont plan on gettin rid of the fz for a long time
6. great no noises as yet
7. only clunks from 1st to 2nd and the rest are pretty smooth
8. not very dark but dark enough to be doing the job, still smells the same as when went in

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Motul 5100 is the best value for money for my money, But it's only semi-synthetic...for super smooth gear changes, and an oil that last's a bit longer, in terms of thinning out over it's usage life, then IMHO, you cant go past Motul 7100, about $90 for 4 litres, but the difference is noticeable!

I have an FZ6 with 45000km's on it, and it aint been treated with love...more likely it has been throttled hard most of it's life, including whilst 2 up...i have nearly always put 5100, or 7100 (more so 7100) in the bike since it was 8000km's old, and the motor is super quiet, and shows no sign's of ageing...

I change my oil every 5000km's, whether i need to or not. I change my oil filter every second oil change, and i have a real close look at my oil when it comes out for any metal shaving's, etc, the condition of the oil, etc...

in Summer, i like to run a slightly Higher viscosity during summer, due to it being less temperature sensitive...so 10w/40 in both Motul 5100/7100 during winter, and either the 5100 15W/50, or the 20w/50 in the 7100.

I have a friend who has always put 5100 in his 08 Z1000, until i finally convinced him that fully synthetic oil is not the doing of an evil empire...,and last at week at 44000km's on his Z1000, he changed to fully synth 7100....He rang me after his first ride with the "new" oil, and was waxing lyrical about how good his bike felt...gearbox, power, etc, etc...

Do yourself, and your bike a favour, put some really decent oil in it, and change it at sensible, regular intervals...it DOES make a huge difference to how well your bike runs.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Wolfman, I have used Motul since I had my 250 zeal because the difference was noticeable.

I only use the 7100 and always check after a service to make sure the dealer put the right stuff in. I actually did the inbetween service at 5k/kms myself and put on a new filter and new 7100 since I figured since I was doing it anyway and the oil filters are relatively cheap its just easy.

I rarely really thrash the bike, but do alot of low K's commuting which obviously isn't the best thing for the bike (startup is the worst time as its when the engine is least protected by oil), and am careful to let it warm up before getting moving, when I visit my grandparents a few times a year it gets a good run up thunderbolts way, but it has a pretty easy life most of the time :p

I've also done alot of reading which definately indicates the fully synthetic oils are at least as good if not better in alot of areas than the minerals, especially if your buying the right stuff.

On other oils: on my old Zeal I actually tried alot of different oils, but I have to say she just didn't run the same as on the motul, and it WAS noticeable despite what people say. Personally I think I'm extremely picky with my bike and notice even small things (so small they sometimes don't even matter) and always could tell the difference between oils unlike some people who claim there is none.
The gear changes are smoother once the 7100 goes in instead of whatever crud Yamaha provides with the bike, and I actually find if I'm riding well the first to second gear changes are effortless and almost unnoticeable apart from that little surge of power (which if the missus is on the back is accompanied by being smacked in the back of the head).

Cheap oils go into my Hyundai Excel which is worth about $100 when its got a full tank of fuel in it, the bike is much more performance orientated by nature and deserves alot better.
I probably won't be selling mine for a long while as I'm finding modifications just make the bike better and better as time goes on. Its possible in the future it will be passed on to my fiancee which also means it needs to the best care taken of it in all respects.

I used to change at every 3000k's on the zeal, but now I mainly commute on the FZ6 5000k's seems a bit more wise, or every 6 months worst case scenario.

Also the best answer to clunky gears is an aftermarket exhaust, you won't hear it over the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
then IMHO, you cant go past Motul 7100, about $90 for 4 litres, but the difference is noticeable!

:eek: :eek: Your kidding arent you ??? You SA boys get ripped off with everything :( Its only $76 for 4L at my local Yamaha dealer & even less with my 10% discount :) As you can prolly tell I use Motul 7100 aswell , it really is THAT GOOD & worth every penny :thumbup:

Bike gets an oil change every 5000k's & a new filter every 10000k's pretty much the same as everyone else , bike is used as a daily commuter , weekend warrior & a tourer & has never been babied :D During the commute I always ride for economy but on weekends , well the bike is fitted with a rev limiter for a reason ;) & if you've ever heard Scorpion pipes bouncing off the limiter :drool: :drool: you'll understand why :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: :eek: Your kidding arent you ??? You SA boys get ripped off with everything :( Its only $76 for 4L at my local Yamaha dealer & even less with my 10% discount :)

Yes, well, $90 was with the 10% discount!

Yes, us SA boys, like our WA friends, take it fair square up the clacker, when it comes to pricing for just about anything with our bikes....especially if it is an essential item, like oil, or tyres.

Old story...not enough competition in SA to bring the price competition game into play!

:(

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Small question.Why are conditions for oil so different in Oz then?
You have members here from Arizona,(scorching) to Russia (freezing) and in-between,Britain (30c to -18c)

Serious question btw,I'm not offended by my exclusion :D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look like anyone is using the Yamalube semi or full synthetic.
although there are still a few people to post on this from down under.

to the Pommy asking about our conditions.
Come out here in October and ride from Adelaide to Woomera.
Rumps

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have members here from Arizona,(scorching) to Russia (freezing) and in-between,Britain (30c to -18c)

Be patient Ridgy. Someone will answer your question soon.

Wolfman probably :D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site

International oil discussion just turns into a mud slinging match, particularly when you take into account different conditions, prices, oils available and the contraversy between people who beleive in quality oils and those who do not.

On the conditions thing though its not just temperature, but many other associated variables too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

All i know is that when you are riding across the Aussie countryside in the middle of summer, you are basically riding across a desert...in 40C+ in the shade temperature's...which amounts to a road temperature well inexcess of 70C!

The theory is that with a oil with a higher viscosity rating, ie a 20w/50, the oil is less likely to thin out at high temps. With the 20w rating, this is not a concern for cold starts, as in the Australian Summer, in most parts, it doesnt get cold at night, in fact, average overnight temps are in the teens for some months of the year...

With that theory in mind, i run a higher viscosity oil in summer, if i can.

:thumbup:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I see what you mean about the Aussie section,but I like to read and sometimes contribute to all the sections,even the UK one occasionally :D

After all,it is the FZ6 International forum.There is not a condition placed on threads,that you are barred from certain sections.

Maybe Wolfman could just stickie the data bits.I dunno.....

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is an international forum. Whilst we can ask for input only from people in "Sydney" for example, the thread is open for all to read. Many people from other areas may have input or even just a general question that we can answer. We cannot ban people from showing an interest in what's going on here.

2 posts have been deleted for insulting other members. The thread will be closed if it happens again.

The general questions in this thread are specific to Australia, but you are all welcome to read and ask a question if you have one.

Thank you

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm... just woke up and seen this! Deleted posts, insults....i dunno what has happened, but C'mon people...play nice, it's a freakin forum, not life itself!

:thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I think each geographical section on the forum should have its own stickied oil thread.

It's the only way ppl...

ps: and no, I had nothing to do with the deleted posts :D

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Who services your FZ6 oil.

Well only had the first service done so far. That was with Northside Yamaha. They used Motul.

2. Your experience with oil and what you use now.
(be specific, mineral oil, semi synthetic, fully synthetic and brand and cost)

Motul 3100, no clue if it is synthetic etc or even cost (Part of the service!)

3. Your Kilometre and month interval changes. (when do you change the filter)

Well first service was at 1000km's. Oil filter got a change. Waiting for next service now. I think that is at 5000km's ... So about 3500km's to go !

4. How hard you ride eg: touring cruising / road warrior / Grandma Duck

Grandma Duck for sure. Usually just ride to work and back. Occasional ride when I can go out and "play" haha

5. How long you keep your bikes before upgrading.

Second bike. First bike had for about one year then traded it in on a car. Then got a new job, got my R license and then my FZ6 :)

6. Noise level of the engine with current oil

I would say the noise level is about the same as the running in oil.

7. Gear changing characteristics of your current oil.

No change either, finding changing gear just as hard as with the running in oil ;P Brin on the adjustable rear set ! ;P

8. What the oil looks like when it comes out.

No idea with this one. Although will try to find out on the next service. But I am guessing black. Always bet on black, once you go black .... etc etc ;P

Hope this helps ! (yeah yeah I know, probably not :( )