Temperature question.

xxStephenxx

Reaction score
Visit site
What does your temp gauge read while idling on an 85+ day? Mine gets up to 214F. Once I get moving it drops to 175-185. Should I be concerned?

tdawga

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it was 70-80F yesterday. Bike was reading 170-180 while moving greater than 20 mph. But under 10 mph the bike was reading 220F. The fan kicked in until it cooled to a lower temp.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1....What I did was to install an override switch for the fan so that I can cut it on constantly whenever I know that there will be traffic or whenever I take dirt roads so that I can watch the ruts and whatnot instead of my gauges :thumbup: and by the fan being on constantly I can be sure that no pebbles will get lodged in there and burn up the fan since its already moving....

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Fan should kick on at 212. Today was about 70 here and moving at 45mph+ I saw low 170s. Going slower and it would creep up into upper 170s maybe low 180s. On a day like today I would need to be stopped in traffic for awhile for the fan to kick on. Highest I saw while sitting at traffic lights today was 190.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
On a hot day if I am sitting idle for a while, temp will get up to about 211/212, and then teh fan kicks on and it will drop to around 200. While riding, its around 165-170 usually.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
mine only has bars of temp. Which reads two things to me, 2 bars is perfect for riding and 4 means my bike is going to blow up.

I dont have snazzy numbers like the S2 does

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
4 bars on our bikes means the fans kick on, 3 bars is slow riding or hard riding and 2 bars is cruising at normal speeds (45+) 1 bar is warming up and the flashing bit on the tachometer and with no bars:eek: if you try and ride it hard it blows up.

there ya go, Yamihoe's technical breakdown of temp gauge on the pre-S2 models :welcome: