Tax Disc Location

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine on one of the bolts holding the chain guard cover on tucked out of the way nicely but be careful dont over tighten the bolt as it may strip the thread. :thumbup:

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a good idea in the UK because it has to be displayed at all times, if not you can get fined upto £1000 for not displaying it.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a good idea in the UK because it has to be displayed at all times, if not you can get fined upto £1000 for not displaying it.

Same here in Oz. I had mine under my seat, but with the cops picking on every little thing on bikes lately, I have put mine back on the chain-guard mount.

Our's are a sticky film, have thought about sticking it to the windscreen, but don't know if I want it that visible???

:)

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fairly standard place to keep it...
grommit-albums-some-pictures-picture2282-peg3.jpg

...on the chain guard.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Ozfazer6! I wondered what that tax disc was for, but your answer certainly makes sense.

Back in the states, we have small stickers that are placed on the license plate each year. The sticker color will correspond to a certain year, and it will have the exact same series of letters and numbers as the license plate does.

Same job, just different ways of doing it.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
??? People steal the discs over there??? Each disc here is specific to the bike, has the VIN number and plate number on it... pointless to steal them.

:)
Yep, when my girlfriend first had her bike her tax disk was in a self-adhesive holder fixed to the inside of the windsheild. That went walkies in a couple of weeks.

It costs £7 to replace a tax disk, which I guess is better than paying £48 for another one. Now it's in an alloy holder which is bolted together and bolted securely to the chain guard, if someone wants to rob this one they'll have to bring a toolkit.

It's absolutely daft as to why anyone would steal one, especially as they are bar coded now, but I guess someone without a valid disk will display it on their car or bike and hope that it'll pass casual scrutiny by the police.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
It's absolutely daft as to why anyone would steal one, especially as they are bar coded now, but I guess someone without a valid disk will display it on their car or bike and hope that it'll pass casual scrutiny by the police.

Bingo! As cahmpion221elite said, ours are the little colored stickers. If you're more than 10 feet away, you can't tell that it doesn't go to that bike (or car for that matter, they're all the same)

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Oooohh.... This explains why I have a cable tie on the chain guard. Now its all coming back to me. When I bought the bike last year it had the tax holder on the chain guard but I guess it got unscrewed and got lost. So when I saw the loose chain guard I never thought (riding on an fz6 does that to you when u can't wait to jump on it) about the tax disc until recently when I wanted to renew the said tax. :-(

By the way thanks to all of you for your contributions

B

bluenova

I think they steal them because the police would normally only have a glace at the colour of the disc so as long as the colour is correct for the period it's not very likley they would give it a closer look unless they were stopping the vehicle for another reason.