Tapping noise

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys & Gals,
Im a new member. I have had my 2006 FZ6 for 4 months. Love it....... I have noticed though that there is a tapping (ticking) noise at low revs (below 3500) I thought it was the camchain. I have taken it back to the dealer who failed to hear it. Its only done 4000 miles. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Last edited:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys & Gals,
Im a new member. I have had my 2006 FZ6 for 4 months. Love it....... I have noticed though that there is a tapping (ticking) noise at low revs (below 3500) I thought it was the camchain. I have taken it back to the dealer who failed to hear it. Its only done 4000 miles. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Sounds like valve train. I wouldnt worry about it, unless its real loud.

S

sportrider

I hear a little noise sometimes, I thought it was an exhaust leak, I checked it out and found nothing so I guess a little noise is normal, my suggestion is put a loud pipe on the bike or wear ear plugs!!!(LOL) I wouldn't worry about it.

:Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I just found it a little wierd. You here stories about cam chain tensioners not working correctly. Then wam bam 1 large bill. I have to say though that I have not heard any stories of the R6/FZ6 engine suffering from a problomatic top end.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear a little noise sometimes, I thought it was an exhaust leak, I checked it out and found nothing so I guess a little noise is normal, my suggestion is put a loud pipe on the bike or wear ear plugs!!!(LOL) I wouldn't worry about it.

:Sport:
Loud exhaust sounds good, Ive seen a few with devil mods, sound lovely.....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
. Its loud enough as in I can hear it whilst traveling at 30mph with lid on. Is it possible to manually adjust the cam chain tensioner?

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

When was your last oil change? I have my opinions on oil, motorcycles, and intervals. If you have not changed it recently, and you used a standard oil, it may be begining to fail. Just a thought.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate, The bike had its 3000 mile dealer service, and have put 1000 miles on it since I have had it.
Im really wondering if any other owners have the same low rev noise?

W

wrightme43

Well 1k sure wont wear oil out. I dont get the noise at all. I have a 07. 7100 miles.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im going to take it back to the dealer again. Im convinced its the cam tensioner. Can you adjust these on the FZ6 manually?

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Im going to take it back to the dealer again. Im convinced its the cam tensioner. Can you adjust these on the FZ6 manually?
The cam tensioner should run off of oil pressure. Meaning the higher the motor is revved the tighter the chain will get. You say you here a tapping noise which would make me believe the valves our out a little bit. If the chain was loose it would make more of slapping noise.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The cam tensioner should run off of oil pressure. Meaning the higher the motor is revved the tighter the chain will get. You say you here a tapping noise which would make me believe the valves our out a little bit. If the chain was loose it would make more of slapping noise.
Hi Mate thanks for the post, Is it feasible that the valves could require adjustment at such low miles (4000). Its not slapping, you know how it is when you are trying to describe a sound with words. Its like a ticking/tapping sometimes its loud sometimes its not. Confused, I am

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have what I think is the same noise you're describing. I've read a few things over at SBN and other places I could find and had decided it's harmless valve noise that some of us have, others don't - if you find otherwise I'd be interested since I'd rather not listen to it. I'm around 6500 miles now so find it hard to imagine it that the valves actually need adjustment given the long specified interval for this bike.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have what I think is the same noise you're describing. I've read a few things over at SBN and other places I could find and had decided it's harmless valve noise that some of us have, others don't - if you find otherwise I'd be interested since I'd rather not listen to it. I'm around 6500 miles now so find it hard to imagine it that the valves actually need adjustment given the long specified interval for this bike.
No worries mate, I intend to take my bike to two dealers this weekend to see if they all agree that its nothing. It does bug me though as its in the back of my mind when im giving it the berries doing 100+. I would hate for it to fail........

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate thanks for the post, Is it feasible that the valves could require adjustment at such low miles (4000). Its not slapping, you know how it is when you are trying to describe a sound with words. Its like a ticking/tapping sometimes its loud sometimes its not. Confused, I am
4000 miles is low mileage to need a adjustment. A ticking tapping sounds like valve noise, You are always going to hear a little noise. I just had my r1 valves serviced and I still here them. What weight oil are you using? That could cause a little noise. Whats the temparture where you ride?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
I haven't got a clue what weight the oil is as it was serviced by the dealer prior to me purchasing it. The weather temp over here at the mo is poor. I guess it has averaged between 12C - 19C since I have owned it. The noise has been consistant at these temperatures. What difference would oil weight make? sorry fixing people mot a problem, fixing bikes useless.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
I haven't got a clue what weight the oil is as it was serviced by the dealer prior to me purchasing it. The weather temp over here at the mo is poor. I guess it has averaged between 12C - 19C since I have owned it. The noise has been consistant at these temperatures. What difference would oil weight make? sorry fixing people mot a problem, fixing bikes useless.
Say you have a 20w 40w oil in there and it is 50 degrees outside, that oil is thicker and will take longer to thin out and make its way through the motor. The hotter it is outside the thicker oil you want to run, the colder outside the thinner oil you want. Did you buy the bike new? 4000 miles is alot on the first oil change.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Say you have a 20w 40w oil in there and it is 50 degrees outside, that oil is thicker and will take longer to thin out and make its way through the motor. The hotter it is outside the thicker oil you want to run, the colder outside the thinner oil you want. Did you buy the bike new? 4000 miles is alot on the first oil change.
No mate I am the second owner, the bike had 3200 miles on the clock when I got it. I may try and change the oil and see if this helps. My commute is short, however the engine warming indicator stops flashing for a while berfore I stop.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant believe it... Went out today covered about 90 miles. No sign of he level of noise I was getting before. Just a fine quite 4 cylinder type of noise. Just when I was going to get ear plugs to fix it.

besier

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be some bad fuel!

Did you recently put new fuel in the bike, there may have been excess water in the fuel from the last time you filled up, or just bad fuel. I first used regular gasoline in my bike, and found that it ran rough and made some ticking noises, but with premium fuel it runs great, a noticable difference. The manual mentions this issue also and suggests running higher octane.