Tanks Pads

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
What's available? I'm considering getting a set for the sides of the tank (and the regular centre one). I've heard of the Tech Spec (but not seen many pics). What else is there?

Post up pics if you can

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TechSpec is very grippy. It's thick and quite heavy. Works very well.

pic from their site:

0083_1.jpg

Another popular option is StompGrip: (my R6)

ul94.jpg

This one is light and transparent. Knobs are very aggressive and grippy. I would think twice about these if I wore regular jeans for riding. I think they may eat through fabric over time.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you find it really makes a difference while riding?

I have wanted some of those side pads for ages but never really felt like i was lacking grip on my tank. It's a kind of "i want it because i can, not because i need it" thing.

But then when i think of the difference a set of grippy pegs and bar grips did this can only help!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you find it really makes a difference while riding?

I have wanted some of those side pads for ages but never really felt like i was lacking grip on my tank. It's a kind of "i want it because i can, not because i need it" thing.

But then when i think of the difference a set of grippy pegs and bar grips did this can only help!

It makes a tremendous difference in certain situations.

Do you squeeze the tank with your knees when you brake hard? This is where the pads (or even a tank bra) help a lot.

If you slide of the seat at all into turns, they help a great deal.

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the TechSpec products from what I saw on their website.

Not to derail the thread, but PO had a center tank protector, but IMHO it is mounted too high. What does one use to safely remove it? I have hear Goo-Gone works well, but don't have personal experience using it, especially on a painted surface. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Tom

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the TechSpec products from what I saw on their website.

Not to derail the thread, but PO had a center tank protector, but IMHO it is mounted too high. What does one use to safely remove it? I have hear Goo-Gone works well, but don't have personal experience using it, especially on a painted surface. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Tom

Start by heating it up a bit. Heat gun on low setting or even blow drying on high will work. Keep heating up until you can relatively easily dig your nail under one corner. You should be able to pull the whole thing off and leave very little residue.

If any residue remains, googone works great.. just be sure to use very soft cloth, wash googone off with soapy water and then you may wanna wax it.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
It makes a tremendous difference in certain situations.

Do you squeeze the tank with your knees when you brake hard? This is where the pads (or even a tank bra) help a lot.

If you slide of the seat at all into turns, they help a great deal.

I do grip the tank when breaking hard but i don't really slide at all, i guess my legs are pretty strong...
In turns i do slide a cheek off the seat ( if there is a need for it), but i feel like in that position most of my weight is on the outer peg and i don't really feel like my knee needs much help holding on the tank.
This is why i went with aluminium pegs, i always felt like my foot was going to slide of.

Not sure i need them grip pads, but i do know i want them!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do grip the tank when breaking hard but i don't really slide at all, i guess my legs are pretty strong...
In turns i do slide a cheek off the seat ( if there is a need for it), but i feel like in that position most of my weight is on the outer peg and i don't really feel like my knee needs much help holding on the tank.
This is why i went with aluminium pegs, i always felt like my foot was going to slide of.

Not sure i need them grip pads, but i do know i want them!

Your weight is in the right place (outside peg). What's locking you in that position? How do you pull yourself back or over to the other side?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Your weight is in the right place (outside peg). What's locking you in that position? How do you pull yourself back or over to the other side?

I usually just use my inner leg to push myself back to center position once i exit the turn...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Tech Spec for my tank sides and a generic CF type tank pad.

Good grip!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually just use my inner leg to push myself back to center position once i exit the turn...

If you're using your inner leg, you're weighing your inside peg. Not ideal.

Outside thigh should be used to pull yourself back or to the other side. And what's the point of contact of the outside leg? Yup!.. the indentation in the tank where the grippy pad goes :D

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're using your inner leg, you're weighing your inside peg. Not ideal.

Outside thigh should be used to pull yourself back or to the other side. And what's the point of contact of the outside leg? Yup!.. the indentation in the tank where the grippy pad goes :D

I usually using my inner leg once the turn is over and i am back straight, not sure it makes a difference...

Thanks anyway, I will try to experiment and analyse what i am doing a bit more.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually using my inner leg once the turn is over and i am back straight, not sure it makes a difference...

Thanks anyway, I will try to experiment and analyse what i am doing a bit more.

At street speeds and one corner at a time situations, no big deal. At *spirited* speeds going through chicane (when you complete one turn and want to set up for the next as fast as possible), you want to slide across the seat using outside leg, without weighing pegs and with no input to the handlebar.

Sit a bit farther back in the seat, or you will likely be pivoting around the tank instead of sliding side to side.

It's very fun to practice this.. doesn't need to be at high speed and you don't need to slide off a lot.

To bring this all back to original post. The technique mentioned above is where those side tank pads help a great deal!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I love mine. For the rear of the tank, I ordered one from them (rectangular) and cut it down some:

That's a Tech Spec as well is it? It does look good. How thick is it?

Not too keen on those Stompgrips. As Erci said, a bit too knobbly for me I reckon.

They're the main two I'm hearing about. Tech Specs seem the way too go, but very pricey. I wonder if I could just buy some rubber from a rubber shop and glue it down somehow?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if I could just buy some rubber from a rubber shop and glue it down somehow?

No doubt you could. The nice thing about TechSpec is that if you install it properly (very clean tank) you can remove them and re-install them. No residue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a Tech Spec as well is it? It does look good. How thick is it?

Not too keen on those Stompgrips. As Erci said, a bit too knobbly for me I reckon.

They're the main two I'm hearing about. Tech Specs seem the way too go, but very pricey. I wonder if I could just buy some rubber from a rubber shop and glue it down somehow?

.125"

Yamaha FZ6 04-10 Snake Skin

I really, really like these, fit perfect, well worth the investment IMHO. For something so obvious to the bike, I wouldn't cheap out on it...

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
At street speeds and one corner at a time situations, no big deal. At *spirited* speeds going through chicane (when you complete one turn and want to set up for the next as fast as possible), you want to slide across the seat using outside leg, without weighing pegs and with no input to the handlebar.

Sit a bit farther back in the seat, or you will likely be pivoting around the tank instead of sliding side to side.

It's very fun to practice this.. doesn't need to be at high speed and you don't need to slide off a lot.

To bring this all back to original post. The technique mentioned above is where those side tank pads help a great deal!

mmmm, you might have convinced me to get some! And i though my modding frenzy was finished...