Tank range?

andru8

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going for my first real solo ride on my bike from South Wales UK to the middle of France for a few days.Its around 750 miles each way.My simple question is when would it be safe to stop and refill? Would it be safer to stop every 100 miles or can I push it further safely?

Thanks

jdesro

Reaction score
Visit site
I can easily get 175 miles out of a tank - 200 miles if it's a good day where there is little traffic and I can just cruise along at 45 - 55 mph with few stops.

So depending on the area you will be traveling in and how far apart gas (sorry - petrol) stations are, you should easily be able to do at least 150 miles or more before having to worry about running out.

jdesro

Reaction score
Visit site
I think so. I've never gotten very good mileage at highway speeds - too much wind resistance that can really hurt your MPG.

On my bike, the sweet spot seems to be between 45-55 mph. If I can keep a steady pace around those speeds I can get great gas milage. My last trip to New York form Massachusetts was all two lane back roads with little traffic, so I was able to keep it in that sweet spot almost the entire trip, and I averaged 50 MPG on that trip.

Highway riding at the greater speeds with more wind resistance and higher engine RPMs I'm lucky to get low 40's MPG.

Even at speeds of 70 -75 you should still be able to get at least 150 miles out of a tank, but you would probably be able to get a little more if you slow it down a little.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing all highway commuting at about 80 ish and was gettin 190 before the indicator started blinking....but that is with the 17t front sprocket....

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
The other thing that can really improve your range is to fill the tank all the way. I fill mine on the centerstand, and top it off repeatedly until it's really and truly full. When I do this, can make 200 highway miles at a brisk pace.

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can easily get 175 miles out of a tank - 200 miles if it's a good day where there is little traffic and I can just cruise along at 45 - 55 mph with few stops.

So depending on the area you will be traveling in and how far apart gas (sorry - petrol) stations are, you should easily be able to do at least 150 miles or more before having to worry about running out.

I have been seeing a similar range. Around town I usually get around 180-190 miles, but when I am on the back roads and just cruising along for a couple of hours with no traffic I can hit 210 or so.

You also need to think about how hard you are riding the bike, not just the traffic. If you are revving it high a lot, or pushing its boundaries you will see a significant decrease in MPG.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I did around 215 miles on a tank a couple of weeks ago with a fairly brisk pace. Speed ranged from 55 to 85 and hilly terrain. I was just in a hurry to get home before dark and didn't realize untill I parked the bike in the garage that the gauge was blinking. :eek:

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I think filling up on the center stand is the big key. I've gone 210 miles before the flashing bar, went another 15 miles and still only got 4.25 gallons in the tank, so probably could have gone further than 260 on the tank.

Putting it on the center stand doesn't take much effort and can increase range, so when I'm on trips, I always fill that way.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get `160 miles to a tank, ride at 10-12,000 rpm in 6th for most of my 15 mile commute.
Have a great break,

Nelly

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to echo what others have said, in metric Australia, I frequently get 330kms per tank with a combination of town (at 60kph) to highway (at 110kph) going to work. (110kms/day)

On long trips, my fuel economy improves, with my maximum thus far, being 393kms on a tank.

If you can sit behind a truck, or even car, your economy improves as the wind resistance decreases markedly. (within 30m, you don't have to be right behind)

As proved many, many times - once you hit reserve, and your odometer changes to F:, you are good for a further 60kms.

I have topped the tank off on the side stand, then put it on the centre stand to see the difference and it's a bit over .5L, so 10kms or so.

Plan your trip with 300kms between fills, and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Rick

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chance are, if you have never taken a long trip , you will be finding a reason to stop to rest rather than for fuel. It's just that when you do stop, it's a good time to fill up.

I consider myself a seasoned rider when it comes to long distance, I usually stop for one reason, fuel. So I can stretch my stops between fuel ups every 3-4 hours or 200-250 miles.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually stop at 175 to 200 miles depending on where my fuel stops fall. I have all that punched into my GPS program and uploaded to my GPS before I leave so I usually know where I'm going to stop for fuel ahead of time.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
where the hell do you live? :eek::eek: i wish my I could commute at 130mph:rockon:
I live in the ar5e hole of no where right in the middle of the beautiful country side.
We are blessed with a great road and little traffic. This morning going to work at 07.30 I saw no other cars on the road until I got to work.

Nelly

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the ar5e hole of no where

From what I've seen, on the telly and in magazines - there is no such thing in Ireland!

The countryside looks gorgeous! (the people are kinda weird but... jks!)

Now, come to Oz and in the red centre you'll see nothing but sand for as far as the eyes can see.

Now THAT has got to qualify!

Cheers,
Rick

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the ar5e hole of no where right in the middle of the beautiful country side.
We are blessed with a great road and little traffic. This morning going to work at 07.30 I saw no other cars on the road until I got to work.

Nelly

lucky:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If we didn't have so much rain it would be paradise. It's not barren like some parts of Australia. When Ireland joined the Euro we had millions of funding for road infrastructure. Only in 2003 to come down from Dublin would be a 3 hour drive on country lanes. You can do it in an hour now.
Nelly
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Chance are, if you have never taken a long trip , you will be finding a reason to stop to rest rather than for fuel. It's just that when you do stop, it's a good time to fill up.

I consider myself a seasoned rider when it comes to long distance, I usually stop for one reason, fuel. So I can stretch my stops between fuel ups every 3-4 hours or 200-250 miles.

I do the same thing. Usually around 150 miles I"m looking for a stretch. When I am just going back and fourth to work is when I extend my range, usually to about 170-180 miles.