Tank Pad for for all Black FZ6

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking up why people get tank pads and the various reasons behind it. I've seen people say for reasons such as if you get into an accident and your body leans into it you'll get less hurt, and to protect the tank from your zippers(makes more sense).

What do you guys use it to for, and what would you recommend for an all black bike? Probably stick with a black one?

I've also seen people debating on where to place the tank pad, an inch from the bottom, all the way at the bottom, etc. Where do you guys have it placed and why?

Also, what kind would would you guys recommend? I see a bunch on eBay, some are "carbon fibered" or whatever that means. :confused:

EDIT: Got 1 rep power ;), yall see that?!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen people say for reasons such as if you get into an accident and your body leans into it you'll get less hurt

LOL^^^ That's funny.

I have one mostly because it looks cool. But I guess if you want a legitimate reason it's to protect the tank from my zipper. I would go with a clear pad on a black bike. Or pimp it out and go chrome like me Blah

Most are made of a rubber type material. The "carbon fiber" ones just have a carbon look to them, they are still rubber. I would go with a Progrip brand protector, I've had good luck with them and have never had them peel on me.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL^^^ That's funny.

I have one mostly because it looks cool. But I guess if you want a legitimate reason it's to protect the tank from my zipper. I would go with a clear pad on a black bike. Or pimp it out and go chrome like me Blah

Most are made of a rubber type material. The "carbon fiber" ones just have a carbon look to them, they are still rubber. I would go with a Progrip brand protector, I've had good luck with them and have never had them peel on me.

Where did you place it?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine starts about one inch above where the seat meets the tank. It's really up to you where to put it. Doesn't matter much.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I also use mine to protect from my zipper. As for placement, I sat on the bike and leaned forward to see where my zipper would contact - and made sure that area was covered. Mine is a really dark grey and blends in just enough.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine starts about one inch above where the seat meets the tank. It's really up to you where to put it. Doesn't matter much.

I also use mine to protect from my zipper. As for placement, I sat on the bike and leaned forward to see where my zipper would contact - and made sure that area was covered. Mine is a really dark grey and blends in just enough.

I'm probably going to start it low, I doubt i'm going to be wearing a jacket with a zipper, it's just my belt i'm worried about.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tank pad serves no other purpose than to prevent scratches.
Functionally, what's more important is to have something with grip on sides of the tank, where your knees squeeze it.
My personal preference is a tank bra. Excellent protection against scratches and enough grip on sides for street riding.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Tank pad serves no other purpose than to prevent scratches.
Functionally, what's more important is to have something with grip on sides of the tank, where your knees squeeze it.
My personal preference is a tank bra. Excellent protection against scratches and enough grip on sides for street riding.

Yeah i'll look into that too, definitely don't want scratches on my baby :D

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a replacement tank pad for my last bike and took off the old one, during the few days that my bike didn't have one my zip scratched the tank. They are DEFINITELY worth buying. I have a black one on my black bike and put it as low as I could as I never come into contact with the higher part of the tank.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Tech Spec side grips and protectors are popular and have been discussed here a bunch of times. A little pricy, but excellent quality.

I have the center protector low since I was seeing minor scratches near the seat (easily buffed out with Scratch-X.)

Yamaha FZ6 04-10 Gripster Tank Grips

If you're not planning to wear a jacket with zipper, be prepared to get some flak here for not wearing riding gear (ATGATT.) You've been posting a lot about various mods to your new bike. Put a few of those dollars aside for good gear -- it's a better long term investment, IMO.

Last edited: