Tank bolts

Ewhite6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping someone would be so kind as to give me he measurements on the bolt that holds the gas tank to the frame. Someone was nice enough to take both of mine last night along the master cylinder cap from my roommates sv650.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I'm not sure on the measurements nor am I mechanically savvy enough to guess at it. :-\ I can tell you that I didn't tighten mine well enough one day and both vibrated out before I realized it. :spank: I just rode gently to the hardware store and one of the workers helped me fit some. They didn't have any stainless ones tho. I later went to the Fastenal store and picked up a pair for less than 50 cents.

I hope that helps :-\

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
The bolts are M6 bolts if I read the Service Manual correctly, but I didn't find the bolt length in my 2 minute browse through the manual.

Edit: They should be fastened with 7 Nm (0.7 m*kg, 5.1 ft*lb) torque.

Last edited:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you that I didn't tighten mine well enough one day and both vibrated out before I realized it.

Hahaha don't mean to laugh, but I had a similar situation. Didn't tighten one of mine and after 15-20 minutes of riding, it worked loose. Fortunately, I was able to pluck it off the frame while riding before it fell into the abyss.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I had one vibrate out too, along with one on my front wheel fairing. I ordered the OEM ones along with a boatload of other stuff from bikebandit, and I got an extra for each. Now I check the torque on those bitches weekly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one vibrate out too, along with one on my front wheel fairing. I ordered the OEM ones along with a boatload of other stuff from bikebandit, and I got an extra for each. Now I check the torque on those bitches weekly.

A flat washer and lock washer would proabably take care of it.. I'd use SS if you go this route..