Taking First Long(ish) Ride

Reaction score
www.advancedplatingtech.com
I'm riding down to Vero Beach, FL this weekend from Jacksonville. It's a little over 200 miles one way. It's my first real road trip on my bike or any bike for that matter. Any suggestions and/or tips before I go? The bike is tip-top mechanically (T-CLOCS, etc). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
**Edit: and of course, all my gear will be worn, rest-assured.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm riding down to Vero Beach, FL this weekend from Jacksonville. It's a little over 200 miles one way. It's my first real rode trip on my bike or any bike for that matter. Any suggestions and/or tips before I go? The bike is tip-top mechanically (T-CLOCS, etc). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Eat a good hot breakfast.

Put on some music.

Have a tinted shield for the helmet.

Tire plug kit.

Charger for the cell phone.

MOST importantly tell somebody where you going and your route. Create a system of "checking in" every few hours whether by text or a call.

ATGATT

EDIT:

Also take a rest every 100 miles or 150 miles even for 5 minutes just to stretch the legs. you will have to fill up the gas anyway.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you put on music? Do you have a Bluetooth helmet or something?

I just use some earbuds. Get something decent that isolates outside sound. Some Internal monitors from shure or other company work great. Even cheapo skull candy ear buds do well as well.

Normally I ride with ear plugs but truth be told it gets boring after a while.

Or get a Sansa Clip mp3 player for like $50. It has a radio so you can just listen to local radio stations, it comes with the ear buds too and has a nice clip that you can attach it to the jacket etc.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
even though its your first, 200 isn't really bad. Gas up before you leave, break after 130 miles or so, gas up and finish the ride. If I'm only going about that distance, I like to make the break stop after the midway point so the last leg is relatively short.

Good luck, have fun, and I'm jealous

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on Throttle Rocker amazon sells them too. Tool kit under your seat? lots of water to drink. Enjoy your ride, if your in between a pack of cars and they are stressing you out pull exit and take a break drink some of that water. Dress in layers, pack a rain jacket and flashlight too. And lube your chain and check tire pressure the day you leave.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I love music, I wear ear plugs. I want to hear anything that presents itself.

Do your best to be seen. Stay out of blind spots, be careful around exits as some make a run for it cutting across traffic. I usually cruise just a few clicks faster than traffic and stay in the left lane to avoid being ran down. But never hold up traffic.

Be sharp and have fun!
PS - most make fun of our route as we/I take the most twisted path to get to most all locations. It takes longer = Greater Experience!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Original Motorcycle Cruise Control - Crampbuster

simple but effective :thumbup:

and we hope we'll see a ride report and pictures when you get back

+1 - The best $12 i ever spent. Bought it once "just to try" and it's been on my bike for the last 2 years

Also, if you are planning a lot of these long(ish) rides - look into seat mod. YMMV of course, but I found that the stock seat can be improved. I went "Spencer's seat mod" way and I do not regret it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest staying off the freeway system if possible. Yes, it is faster, but sticking to two lane roads really adds to any trips that I take.

I highly agree with this! It may be faster on the freeway but it gets boring and 4 hours on the freeway feels longer than 6 hours in the scenic countryside! :thumbup:

Get yourself a tank bag with a map pouch. Plan your route and bring maps that cover the areas you will be riding in. A GPS is nice but I find a GPS to be too distracting unless you mount it above your gauges.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest staying off the freeway system if possible. Yes, it is faster, but sticking to two lane roads really adds to any trips that I take.

Dude, he's not in California, he's in Florida where it's a struggle to find any hills or twisties. The roads are straight and boring on just about ever road, any excitement they get down there out on the streets are from the traffic lights and intersections.

I like to carry a camelback. A minature backpack that holds liquid beverages so that you can drink while you ride from a tube. Kind of a reverse enema, but you get the idea. I hate stopping, but that's me.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
tank bag with a few quick access necessities with a map pouch so you can highlight your route so you don't get lost/off track. as for the music, I always have music when I ride via earbuds, however, make sure you aren't wearing a pair of earbuds with a microphone that is positioned where it won't be covered by your jacket. I've found that with my skull candies as well as a few others that the exposed to highway wind mic makes funny things happen with my music volume. it'll cut down low, then full volume for a second or two, then normal. Even on a 15 minute hwy trip it causes a HUGE distraction. For long trips where I'll be gone over a weekend I have a backpack and a duffel strapped to the back seat of the bike in such a way that if i'm tired or want to relax while riding I can let off the throttle downhill and lean back for a few seconds to stretch out. And make sure you have decently easy access to rain gear, I mean, it is Florida afterall :D

Reaction score
www.advancedplatingtech.com
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. It's true that the roads in Florida are straight and flat; it's difficult to find anything BUT that. However, there is no shortage of Waffle Houses so I'll be able to get a hot breakfast for sure. :D

Everyone who contributed to the thread offered some really valuable advice; thank you. I'm really looking forward to this ride. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, but if it doesn't, oh well (the only thing that freaks me out when I ride in the rain is having a hard time seeing through my visor; I've heard Rain-X is a good solution). I'm still riding. I don't get many opportunities to see my family - I can't wait for my nephew to see the bike! He'll geek out for sure (he's 5 and loves all things motorized).

Thanks to everyone. This community is awesome.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. It's true that the roads in Florida are straight and flat; it's difficult to find anything BUT that. However, there is no shortage of Waffle Houses so I'll be able to get a hot breakfast for sure. :D

Everyone who contributed to the thread offered some really valuable advice; thank you. I'm really looking forward to this ride. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, but if it doesn't, oh well (the only thing that freaks me out when I ride in the rain is having a hard time seeing through my visor; I've heard Rain-X is a good solution). I'm still riding. I don't get many opportunities to see my family - I can't wait for my nephew to see the bike! He'll geek out for sure (he's 5 and loves all things motorized).

I highly recommend ear plugs to cut down the wind noise. You will be a lot less tired at the end of a long ride. I personally don't want to listen to music while I ride because I ride to be as much in the elements as possible, but ear plugs are a must.

In terms of riding in the rain, I use a Foggy Mask in my helmet which 100% stops the visor from fogging up. A good tip for clearing the droplets of rain off your visor is to do a quick turn of the head from side to side while at speed and the droplets will bead off the sides.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
As for the tank bag I use one and have never used the map pouch. Most useful thing I have is a microfiber cloth and bottle of water to wipe the bugs off my visor.

As for GPS and music I get both out of my iPhone 5. I normally memorize maps but the other day tried out the GPS on the phone. I put in my ear buds, turned on my music and started the directions on GPS. I found the interruptions to the music by Siri to help keep me alert on my ride.

Also I can't go much past 100 miles without needing a break. I did 134 the other day and paid for it in extra soreness. For me 100 miles is the magic range without stopping.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site

hope the weather does cooperate with you as this was what I was going to suggest. Jealous of your ride and nice flats roads, meaning no potholes like we have them here in MA.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a lot of great suggestions for your first road trip and the members here have covered most of them. Have fun and enjoy the ride! :rockon: