Taking a trip to the Northwest

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Not bike related, just a vacation. I'm gonna be up in Seattle,WA at the end of August (8/28 - 9/1) for a convention, after that I'm going to spend a week (9/1 - 9/7) bumming around Portland,OR (just for the hell of it). I won't have the bike but if anybody in the area wants to meet up and have a couple beers I'd be game.

Also, does anyone from the area have a recommendation on which of these hostels is the better place to stay? I'm looking to be close to good bars (good beer selection/microbrew, low douchebag density) and restaurants:

Portland Hawthorne Hostel
Portland Hostel, Northwest - Home

Any other recommendations for things to do while in the area are welcome. Thanks!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was born and raised in Portland. Personally, I would favor the one in the NW. It's closer to the city center and the NW district is happening with a lot of breweries and shops. I think that's exactly what you will be looking for during your visit. Plenty of action all within walking distance. Plus that area should be within the downtown perimeter where the light rail or bus, trolley would be free. Also looks like it's much easier to get to if you take the light rail from the airport, thats if you are coming from the airport. The Hawthorne Hostel is 30 blocks away from the city center but only a short bus ride into town. But may be more of a challenge to get to from the airport.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I was born and raised in Portland. Personally, I would favor the one in the NW. It's closer to the city center and the NW district is happening with a lot of breweries and shops. I think that's exactly what you will be looking for during your visit. Plenty of action all within walking distance. Plus that area should be within the downtown perimeter where the light rail or bus, trolley would be free. Also looks like it's much easier to get to if you take the light rail from the airport, thats if you are coming from the airport. The Hawthorne Hostel is 30 blocks away from the city center but only a short bus ride into town. But may be more of a challenge to get to from the airport.

Excellent info, thanks. I was just about to call the other one and make a reservation there. You are my hero!

when your about to come to seattle, shoot me a PM, ill buy ya a beer or two :D

Will do. Seattle is going to be the busy part of the trip (going to PAX), but I'm sure I can find a free evening to get out for a beer.