Tailight is out

Hendricks433

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a couple people tell me that my tailight is out but the brake light works on my 2007 FZ6. I ordered an Integrated MotoDynamic light and took everything apart today to install and see why the tail light is out. I plugged the new light in and it was fine. When I move it the running light goes out. After wiggling and isolating different wires it seems to be right at the harness or the wires right as they go into the harness.

Can I order or find just the one harness for the tail light and cut off the old one and rewire? Or should I order a whole new used wiring harness system and replace the whole thing? Are all years compatible 04-09?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a couple people tell me that my tailight is out but the brake light works on my 2007 FZ6. I ordered an Integrated MotoDynamic light and took everything apart today to install and see why the tail light is out. I plugged the new light in and it was fine. When I move it the running light goes out. After wiggling and isolating different wires it seems to be right at the harness or the wires right as they go into the harness.

Can I order or find just the one harness for the tail light and cut off the old one and rewire? Or should I order a whole new used wiring harness system and replace the whole thing? Are all years compatible 04-09?

Sounds like you pretty much have it narrowed down, the area of the failed wire/connector.

If you have a faulty connector, you can PU a new connector here;
Honda - Kawasaki Motorcycle Turn Signal Connectors

I suspect you have a crappy connection or a loose connector. Inspecting it closely should help you find the issue and correct it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it isn't a connector, trace the blue wire. The blue wire is your tail light/running light circuit. It may have been pulled/strained at some time and need to be repaired.:)

Hendricks433

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you pretty much have it narrowed down, the area of the failed wire/connector.

If you have a faulty connector, you can PU a new connector here;
Honda - Kawasaki Motorcycle Turn Signal Connectors

I suspect you have a crappy connection or a loose connector. Inspecting it closely should help you find the issue and correct it.

Awesome, that is what I was looking for. Did some googling but was coming up short. I should be able to rewire with one of those and it should fix it I believe. There's not a lot of wire to work with though.

Hendricks433

Reaction score
Visit site
If it isn't a connector, trace the blue wire. The blue wire is your tail light/running light circuit. It may have been pulled/strained at some time and need to be repaired.:)

Thanks, I'll look into that before I go through replacing the connector. If I move the wire going to the harness it doesn't flicker but as soon as I move the connector and the wires close to it the light starts going in and out so it shouldn't be too far from the connector.

Hendricks433

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a new connecter and soldered the pins on the end and put them into the connector and soldered to the wires on the bike. I connect the harness and only have a brake light on my Motodynamic, I can't get my turn signals to come through on the tailight either. So before I would jiggle the connector and the running light would go in and out, now it never comes on. Any ideas?