Tail light not working

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
My tail light went off the other day, figured it was just the bulb so I went out and got a new one this afternoon, and it's still not working :/ I took off the rear cover and checked the tail fuse and it's perfectly intact.
Anyone have an idea on what the deal might be?

Thanks in advance!!

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did u change or unplug anything prior to it going out. I only say that because I disconnected a little plug under the seat one time and my tail light wasn't working the next time I got on. Took me a minute to remember I had been under the seat

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are your front running lights on? The lights in the front stalks. It's the same circuit.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bah, just went and checked everything under the seat and tank, nothing disconnected &%^*&%*$%(*)^&#&*%$

Recheck the lamp. The socket will have 2 buttons in the bottom. With the bike running you should have voltage from one of those buttons to ground. Blue wire...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the license plate light lit when the engine is running?
I'm going to send you a PM. Call the number!

jpstyle

Reaction score
Visit site
BAh..I am having the same problem with my tail light not working...I have checked all my conections under the tank and seat...checked the fuses as well. My license plate light is also not working :(

Any ideas?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay...now that you've paid your $300 bucks....

Do your turn signals work? The turn signals and taillamp/ running lights work off the same fuse. If the fuse is good the directionals work. If the directionals work there is one of two basic requirements that aren't being met. 1-) Current to the tail lamps has been interrupted (open circuit, broken wire, unplugged) or 2-) Lost ground path for those associated lamps. Usually the ground wire is black in color. The running light wire is blue with a red tracer. The blue wire with a red tracer will turn in to a solid blue wire. (probably in the harness)

Hope this helps. :D

Now that I have this xtra 300 bucks I can get my new levers, LED directionals and smoke windscreen I've been wanting! :BLAA:

jpstyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks now that I am 300 in the hole ;) My running lights up front and signals are working just fine...I just replaced the bulb even though it looked fine just to make sure....that was not it. My plate light is also out, I am going to the garage now to check the ground wire going to the bulb...hoping this does not turn into an all day project :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks now that I am 300 in the hole ;) My running lights up front and signals are working just fine...I just replaced the bulb even though it looked fine just to make sure....that was not it. My plate light is also out, I am going to the garage now to check the ground wire going to the bulb...hoping this does not turn into an all day project :)

Check ALL the fuses with a DMM (continuity). Check the "signal" fuse first.

Yes, If the front running lights are on and you have directionals the fuse is good. One fuse for both circuits.

Left side of bike. !0mm socket. Remove the bolt under the plastic pod. Remove the plastic pod (pull straight out) Check your wiring. There are bullet type connectors. See if something is unplugged.

A handy tool to have is a test prod type light it has an alligator clip you can attach to chassis ground or the battery negative. The point is easy to push into the wire to see if you have voltage. This is probably the cheapest, most valuable, most used piece of test equipment for tracking down problems on auto/cyclemotive electrical systems.

Also for those that read this that are not aware. The OEM tail lamp is not your standard 1157 type lamp. The OEM lamp has special anti vibration filaments and should only be replaced with the same OEM type and not a standard automotive application 1157 type lamp. Unless of course you're going LED...:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Let us know how it works out! :D

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The same problem occur on my 6R. I just had to change the bulb. Check if you got juice all the way to the back with a test light. Loosing the only light that you have at the back is not cool at night. I change my signal for LED running light/signals. Make me feel a bit safer.