T-Rex Slider Review:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I can officially review the T-Rex Sliders now -- you know what that means :shakehead:

4 Years with no tickets and no mishaps I think goes to show that I'm a sane individual with fairly responsible driving habits. I wasn't going fast, I wasn't in a hurry, I didn't JAM my brakes, or jerk the throttle.

It happened after work, with 3 hours of sleep, in the rain, around a turn I know well and drive on often. I couldn't have been going more than 5 - 10 mph when I went down, and it was one of the FEW moments I didn't have my camera charged so I wasn't recording:(.

Anyway, I was exiting the highway, coming up to a light to turn right at the green and get onto a big road with a lot of cars. Nobody in front or behind me, however both red lights had lines of cars so it happened in front of a lot of people. Well, from what I can tell best, rode over a slick part of the turn where either accumulated oil had build up, or water had slicked the zebra stripe tar they patch the roads with -- and the tire slid right out from under me.

I was holding the throttle steady in 2nd gear, not using the brake, not accelerating, not leaning, driving as responsibly as possible. I went down on the right side while turning right, and slid about 10 feet into the middle of the road -- with my right leg trapped under the bike.

So:
A: I had all of my gear on, helmet, gloves, boots, 2 jackets, backpack, glasses, everything.
B: I think the frame slider provided a small gap that saved my ankle and leg.
C: Dragged my head across the pavement so the helmet saved me.
D: Jacket gouged up on the right arm and shoulder so the 2 jackets I had on saved my arm.

The T-Rex slider did wonders. I'm almost in disbelief. It looks like the 3 points of contact are the frame slider, a corner of the fairing, and the footpeg (driver footpeg). Here's some pics:

View attachment 44622
View attachment 44623
View attachment 44624
View attachment 44625

I went into superman mode and within 2 seconds of me coming to a stop, I was out from under the bike lifting it up. I got it up immediately and pushed it to the side of the rode and checked it out breifly. The slider was the only major damage and the bike started up, so I drove away before oncoming traffics light ever changed from red for them -- thats how quickly it happened.

My ankle hurts slightly and my knee is swollen. The bike has MINIMAL damage, and the frame slider really I think saved the tank, fairing, crankcase, and who knows what else. So...

you know what they say. There's 2 kinds of riders: the kind that have gone down, and the kind that will go down. This was 1 lingering thought in my head for 4 years and I can finally take that thought out now. I got my 1 crash in, and the damage was minimal, so I'm actually happy that my crash happened how it did.

And for fun I'll show you guys a preview of my project. I literally just finished it 2 days ago. I built a super high intensity green LED kit from scratch. I was pricing out LED kits and there is no way I'm paying 100 - 300$ for a few LED's. So I built my own -- from scratch. I designed, traced, and built the circuit board. Bought all the components, did all the soldering, cutting, shaping, and installing. It's got a dimmer and a switch mounted to the 2 holes right below the speedo. They have 5 sockets with 4 led's in each - 2 straw hats for 180 degree light dispersion and 2 standard for a straight beam (on each socket). They're waterproofed with silicon, with the circuit board under the seat, and heat shrink around everything. I think they came out very well, I'll try to take some more pics of the LED kit if anybody is interested in how it looks and or how I built it. It costed me under 30$ but took me countless hours of planning, building, and troubleshooting - ALL in time for me to drop my bike.

View attachment 44626
I'll try to upload a night shot with the green LED's as well.

haha what a week. Well there's my spiel. Anyway, T-Rex sliders? A+++ Saved my bike and saved me hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in damage. I'm going to buy a new pair right now actually. If you don't have sliders, get them.

So yeah, that's how that played out.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the same frame sliders I have, I use them as goober leg rests on long trips at times lol.

Glad you made it through the crash and the sliders helped save the bike.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks (that you had the accident). No stator or clutch cover scratches---I guess your leg or something caught up and helped avoid that? I'm with you---frame sliders really help mitigate the damage. I have similar damage (more like scratches/scrape) from when I went down about four years ago. Nice report.

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. How is the knee now?

Do you have sliders (or whatever they are called) on your front and rear axles?
Tom

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks for the replies.

@ltdillard:
Frame sliders: bolted to the frame on both sides, its the melted component you can see in the 3rd pic. They bolt to the frame and provide a point of contact OTHER than you tank, crankcase, or fairing for if you go down. The knee and ankle are alright, got a few small scratched, slight swelling, but didn't stop me from going about my daily business thankfully.

@Tailgate:
Yeah my leg was pinned between the bike and ground. Just a few scrapes, and I must admit I only had jeans on (better than shorts?). Could have been a lot worse. I agree though - frames sliders definitely reduce your damage, at least redirects it away from the expensive components.

@phranK2k11:
I will try to tare her down and show some more in depth pictures. A how to may be in store....I have enough parts left over to either build another LED kit. I could build it for somebody for cost of parts and maybe an extra 20 or 30$ for labor (takes a good amount of time to assemble and prep it all). All I have left over are green LED's....the LED's are the cheap part though so any color can be done with my remaining parts if a small pack of LED's is bought in the color of your choice (and they're cheap, I'm talking 2$ for 100 LED's). Let me know if you want to work something out or just see some pics.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was on the fence for cheap frame sliders but at 30 bucks the trex ones are sold to me :( sorry about the crash

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that you and the bike are mostly OK.
A small investment in sliders is well worth it.

And welcome to "the club." ;)