Switching the speedo - kms to miles

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!
I'm planning a two-week trip to Vegas and San diego next month, and was wondering if there is a "simple" way to switch the speedo readout from km to mph for the duration of the trip? I realize there's no quick-and-easy way, as per the owner's manual, but would a dealership be able to maybe plug something in (?) and do it? It's not a big deal, I drive in the US quite a bit and have a pretty good handle on the speed conversion, but it would be nice not to have to constanly "calculate" how fast I'm going...

On the other hand... might be a good way to talk myself out of a speeding ticket... lol :Flash: Just don't know if I can pull off the "dumb blonde" routine with a straight face...:D

Cheers

PS: I'll post details of the trip as it gets closer - looking forward to perhaps meeting some Vegas / Cali riders along the way!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
On the pre2007 bikes you could simply hold down one or some combination of buttons to switch it over instantly. You can't do this with the new bikes? What part of the manual are you referencing?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to switch my 06's readout from km's to miles by holding down both buttons in the RPM mode (as advised), but nothing happened. I have read since that this feature (switchability from km's to miles) is only available on British bikes. I guess it's also available on US bikes but not Canadian bikes, perhaps? Pretty stupid if that's the case.
There is no reference to this feature in my Canadian manual, btw.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah - no mention at all in my owners manual of switching from kms to miles... I'll try the "two-button" method, but I'm guessing it won't work for me either... bummer. :(

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the pre2007 bikes you could simply hold down one or some combination of buttons to switch it over instantly. You can't do this with the new bikes? What part of the manual are you referencing?

My bike is an '06... If you still have your manual - what does it say about switching the display? Apparently this "top secret" information is being withheld from us poor canucks... :(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah - no mention at all in my owners manual of switching from kms to miles... I'll try the "two-button" method, but I'm guessing it won't work for me either... bummer. :(
Hi whirly,
Its simpler than that. turn the bike on.
Press select for 2 seconds, it automatically switches to KMH.
This is on page 3-6 in the manual, unfortunately it also say for British bikes only. I can't beleive how much you guys get shafted. No imobiliser, no optional functions on the tach WTF?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hi whirly,
Its simpler than that. turn the bike on.
Press select for 2 seconds, it automatically switches to KMH.
This is on page 3-6 in the manual, unfortunately it also say for British bikes only. I can't beleive how much you guys get shafted. No imobiliser, no optional functions on the tach WTF?

Nope, wont work for Canuck FZ6s. You can't change between Kmph and Mph. Sorry.

I wouldn't sweat it whirly... how often do you actually look at your speed anyway?!? Besides, if you get pulled over you have the perfect excuse; "sorry officer, I'm stuck in Kmph and must have got my mental conversion wrong".

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I wouldn't sweat it whirly... how often do you actually look at your speed anyway?!? Besides, if you get pulled over you have the perfect excuse; "sorry officer, I'm stuck in Kmph and must have got my mental conversion wrong".

Yeah - It's really not a big deal at all, and you're right... could be the perfect excuse if pulled over - hahaha

It just seems funny that it's not an option, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, despite scouring the owner's manual! :rtfm:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Mate you are welcome to the UK to.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos to you for riding down to SD and Vegas from Canada! Make sure you look me up, I can show you around riding wise locally. Did you know, the Grand Canyon is only two hrs. away from Vegas driving or riding wise?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah - It's really not a big deal at all, and you're right... could be the perfect excuse if pulled over - hahaha

It just seems funny that it's not an option, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, despite scouring the owner's manual! :rtfm:

Whirly, have you tried just holding down buttons? It works on my N. american '08.

well at least you canucks have decent health care ;)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Come on, we need volunteer in USA with 2007/2008 bike (newer cluster) to try that switch between miles and kilometers. It should work.

Zack

I just tried it on my 2007. Simply press and hold the select button for a couple seconds and it switches. Also when you turn the key on you will notice on the spedo where it says MPH that right under it it says KMH. They both light up when you turn te key on and one goes away once the guages are through initializing.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just tried it on my 2007. Simply press and hold the select button for a couple seconds and it switches. Also when you turn the key on you will notice on the spedo where it says MPH that right under it it says KMH. They both light up when you turn te key on and one goes away once the guages are through initializing.

Yeah - sadly, doesn't work on the Canadian version. Trust me, I've tried! :banghead: There is also no "mph" that lights up on the speedo at any time. Kms, and kms only, baby!

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos to you for riding down to SD and Vegas from Canada! Make sure you look me up, I can show you around riding wise locally. Did you know, the Grand Canyon is only two hrs. away from Vegas driving or riding wise?

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the trip! I drive to southern California and/or Mexico at least once a year, and I've driven to Vegas a couple of times from LA (all in my truck, mind you). I've never done the round trip, though - should be fun... I'll be meeting my sister in Vegas for her birthday, and then it's off to Cali for a little surfing. :D
I did drive my old VW van to the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago - awesome - definitely something you have to see to believe...
See ya around the end of April!