Swingarm upgrade Q

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
I'm interested in fitting a 07+ swingarm to my 04. What other bits would I need to make this happen?

Chain adjusters-nice little upgrade ;)
Rear axle bolt & nut? (That different?)
Swing arm pivot bolt & bushings?

Have I missed/got wrong something?
Cheers!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
if you have got the swingarm only, you need the chain adjusters as well and the axle bolt cause its a bit different than the 04 one. make sure the bearings are good or be sure to change them and lube them well before fitting. thats all i can recall from my swingarm swap

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Easy swap, everything fits straight up.

:thumbup:

Looks a thousand times better, and is a stiffer structure!

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy swap, everything fits straight up.

Looks a thousand times better, and is a stiffer structure!

I'm about to do the swap on my S1.
I'm picking up the S2 swingarm from a wrecker tomorrow.
When you say everything fits straight you mean just the swingarm or also the bolt an axle?
Do I definitely need the S2 axle and bolt or can I use the S1's?
I'm asking because the guy at the wreckers didn't mention it so he may charge me extra for those (hope not).

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
when i did mine (ok a mechanic did it for me;)) he told me that i need the axle bolt of the new swingarm as it was a tad different, don't know exactly what was the diffence. i had given him just the new swingarm and told him to fit everything that i had on the bike again as they were in better condition that the 07 swingarm bits. however the axle bolt had to be changed.

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to do the swap on my S1.
I'm picking up the S2 swingarm from a wrecker tomorrow.
When you say everything fits straight you mean just the swingarm or also the bolt an axle?
Do I definitely need the S2 axle and bolt or can I use the S1's?
I'm asking because the guy at the wreckers didn't mention it so he may charge me extra for those (hope not).

I shelled out for a few extra OEM parts from the states just to be sure (I got the swingarm at a real low price, so I justified the US shipping costs!) I found the cheapest OEM prices from 'Partshark' in the US.
I did get an axle to fit 07+, although I haven't put the new swing arm on yet. (Hopefully later this week.)
If you can wait, I'll do the swap and let you know! Or if you cant, and it doesn't work you can do a little swingarm maintenance and have a good OCD clean.
Let me know how you get on!:thumbup:

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm actually getting the swingarm tomorrow so I'll ask the wrecker for the bolt and axle. He is a very nice guy and he's got a whole S2 FZ6 that he's dismantling so should have both and he'll probably throw them in for free as well.
Hey Circle, how much did you pay for the swingarm? I'm getting mine for $200.
I also have brand new R6 forks, shim kit for the fender and R6 calipers on the way from the US (all for $440 including shipping!).
Hope to get at least the swingarm fitted for the long weekend!

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can get the axle and co in one package, then go for it!
I bought the swingarm for $90 and Its been collecting dust for a while as I find the time.
Good luck on the R6 forks & brakes. It should be a nice step up in braking and suspension.
Long weekend eh? Please have a chat to my boss. I'd love Friday off, but he's only setting for Thursday :rolleyes:

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can get the axle and co in one package, then go for it!
I bought the swingarm for $90 and Its been collecting dust for a while as I find the time.
Good luck on the R6 forks & brakes. It should be a nice step up in braking and suspension.
Wow, nice price on that swingarm!
The forks and brakes (plus the Goodridge braided lines I received last week) should make a world of difference on the front end.

Long weekend eh? Please have a chat to my boss. I'd love Friday off, but he's only setting for Thursday :rolleyes:
The advantages of Flex-Time and being a public servant...;)

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back home with the swingarm.
I had to pay an extra $20 for the axle bolt and nut and also made sure the chain adjusters were there too.
Hope to do the swap later this week, we'll see how it goes...

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, took some time today (had to go to the shops to buy the proper socket bits) and after about 2 hours I have finally replaced the swingarm!
It was easy, the only complicated bit was to remove the mid-pipe, for which I had to loose the exhaust hedear bolts in order to get some free play on the pipes. But other than that it's a relatively straight-through process!
Here are some pics to show-off ;)

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
im impressed at how clean and scratch free the paint is! mine came all scratched up so i had to paint it! good job it looks a million times better (even though i would have painted it silver personally).

good job and thx for pics