Suspension Setup for Street Riding

haros

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '04 FZ6 Fazer and I love the comfortable suspension but it feels a bit too soft around corners.

I have done all mods and servicing on the bike myself but have never tuned bike suspension before. I read somewhere that to set it up properly you have to do things in the correct order (sag first, then rebound, compression, ride height etc.) but then I read the FZ6 suspension is not fully adjustable.

So which adjustments can be made and what order should I do them in for street riding? I weigh about 70 kg or 155 pounds with gear on.

Thanks in advance.

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Proper springs for your weight, play with oil weight in the front, and set the sag.

Or upgrade to r6's front shocks and an adjustable rear shock. The above stuff will get you to 75% of possible, the r6 stuff will get you to 90%, after that the best option is a new bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Begin with the search function, it will help determine options, labor and cost. But the short answer is replace the OEM hardware and set it up proper.

With a little work and patience on your part, the cost for both ends isn't that much and it will transform the bike making it a joy to ride.
See sig below.... =') I went for the low cost option and it behaves well!

Search JJD952 Setup

haros

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried searching and have even read all "Similar Threads" below this but there is nothing pertaining to what I'm looking for.

I don't want to replace any parts at this stage, just want to know what adjustments should be made and in what order.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you noticed the stock suspension is not adjustable. You can fit different springs and change the front oil. The rear offers preload adjustment only.

The cost of springs, oil and dampers (cartridge eliminators) for the front outweighs the cost of R6 forks. Thats not to say your used forks won't need springs, seals, or oil, but when you are done you have adjustable forks. The rear is a replacement only. Not many options there.

SAG is important. i.e. proper spring for rate vs ride height of bike and rider.
Damping control for both comp and rebound makes a better handling bike.

What I'm saying is if you expect more from it you'll have to make changes. If done at the right time, it can be affordable.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried searching and have even read all "Similar Threads" below this but there is nothing pertaining to what I'm looking for.

I don't want to replace any parts at this stage, just want to know what adjustments should be made and in what order.

Something cheap and effective to consider for the nose;

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54803-air-assist-fork-caps.html

Unlimited sag adjustment, unlimited adjustment, no dampening adjustment (short of oil change).

Been 7 months, NO leakage of air or oil, considerably stiffer than stock too..

Just make sure you have room for an air chuck. I have risers/set backs so space isn't an issue...

haros

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks fellas, both seem like great options and I will look into these as the suspension is my biggest gripe with the bike