Surplus output of the generator?

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual says my '05 puts out 310 watts @ 5000 rpm. I want to hook up my electric jacket etc, but they draw 130 watts total. I havent done the dual headlight mod so thats a 55w savings. my problem is no one seems to be able to tell me how many watts I can hook up before the battery is in a defecit. I'm not too concerned about intermittant loads like directionals (the rear are LED) or fan. (the fan probably wont run much in winter anyway)

Can someone tell me where/how to hook up my meter to read the load on the magneto? Can it be as simple as reading the battery voltage @ 5k rpm and then turning on the jacket and seeing if the voltge drops?

I may look at set of flush mounts for the front but thas only a 10w steady load.:confused:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
According to this post you only have about 50 Watts to spare if you do the headlight mod, so maybe 110 Watts without it. Sounds like you are pretty close to or over the limit with your vest. Does the vest have any way to reduce its draw?

Checking the battery voltage as you turn on the vest won't tell you what you need to know - it will almost certainly drop. You need to know if the battery starts to supply current to the system instead of either taking a charge or floating (i.e. neither taking a charge nor supplying the system). One way to measure would be a DC ammeter inserted into the connection coming off of the main fuse.

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
The service manual says my '05 puts out 310 watts @ 5000 rpm. I want to hook up my electric jacket etc, but they draw 130 watts total.

I'm guessing that you're talking about a heated jacket liner, pants, gloves to arrive at the 130 watt total. I wear a Gerbing jacket liner, which draws about 55-60 watts, in winter on my FZ. That seems well within the available excess output on the bike. Not sure I'd want to add more than just a jacket liner, though.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I also have the Gerbing's. At the least I would want the jacket and gloves. I could skip the socks if needed. I was just trying to avaoid getting halfway to work and finding out I had to turn off my jacket. They do have an adjustablr thermostat, but at 20 deg & 80 mph on the NJ turnpike, me thinks they'll be on high.:Flash: