Stuck oil filter

vettrick

Reaction score
Visit site
My oil filter is stuck on. Must be rusted. Any tricks to getting it off? I've already dented it by squeezing it with a large pair of slip joint pliers. The plastic cap style filter wrench was a joke. The filter won't budge. I guess a hammer and chisel is next?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Not rusted. Just well sealed. The problem is mainly getting a good grip on the filter.

The correct sized strap wrench is the best tool. If it slips you can use friction tape to assist if you have it. Or just apply some masking/gaffer tape of choice but twist most of it around sticky side out to give that extra friction you need.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Good suggestion. I will have to get a strap wrench.
Any idea where they sell the right size?

Autozone, O'reilly's etc. Take your new filter in to size it. It'll likely be their smallest.

Edit: Before you spring for the tool, try the tape trick w/ some work gloves. Grab that sucker like you mean it and you'll likely have it off.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll second the gloves for grip idea. A pair of rubber gloves should give you some good grip. You might have to clean off the grime and crap on the filter before trying to get it off. I have a filter wrench, but haven't had to use it.

vettrick

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it off. I bought one of those three finger wrenches that tightens the harder you turn. It dented the can but it came off no problem. I tried one of the rubber strap types but couldn't get enough purchase. Thanks all.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened to me last filter change. I found out the hard way that it takes way less pressure to tighten it on than you might think. Someone else here said it was a 1/4 turn past hand tight, and you have it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Number one cause for being stuck is spinning the new filter on dry w/out oil on the sealing surface. But on a vehicle with an annual OCI its prolly gonna stick anyways.

Brute strength FTW!

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to pound a screwdriver through mine, quarter turn, and repeat until it was loose enough to come off. Made a big mess out of the floor in my garage. I upgraded to the KN Filter with the 'nut' on the end..

The guy I bought mine from in Shiloh, IL.. I doubt ever changed the filter.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the K&N... Although I have managed to strip the nut on my first crank, leaving me to, uh, "other" methods. Now I just remind myself how much of a mess the job is gonna be and do the work over a pan and some cardboard.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When all else fails you can use the Russian oil filter wrench. A screw driver!

I named it "The Russian Oil Filter Wrench" because my friend,(Russian) was trying to get his filter off (old R6) and totally destroyed any way to grab and turn it. In fact I had never seen one in this condition! He was amazed at how easily I drove a screwdriver through it and broke it free. :D

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
as much as the big plastic filter wrenches are normally useless, I found that if you 'shim it' a bit (I used some old business cards) such that you have to tap the wrench onto the filter with a hammer, it had more than enough grip to remove the filter with a good sized socket wrench.

That said, like many, I went to the K&N filters with the nut welded onto the end. MUCH easier to deal with. Which reminds me, I'm due for an oil change...

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy the K&N filter next time it has a bolt on the end that makes it quite easy to remove.

+1 on the K&N, I made a bit of a mess the first time I changed my oil with the factory filter. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
all but the last filter i had on the bike came off hard, and yah the first one was a screwdriver for sure! with my big hands it is a bit hard to just grab and spin. most ppl just put them on too tight. a light coat of oil on the seal and spin it up till it touches then about a quarter turn is all it takes. even though you can spin it quite a bit more ( the oil on the seal will let that baby turn) it should not be needed.