Storing things under the seat- melting??

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I know that there is not a lot of room under the seat but if I roll up my raingear just tight enough it will fit. My only question is- based on the material it is made of- is it going to melt?

I am trying to find some decently priced (under $150) saddle bags because I just started back school and the book bag and the holding net doesn't work very well anymore. Any suggestions on either?

W

wrightme43

Its never melted a ziplock bag or hot hands in the package under mine.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure but the last pack of trojans I threw under there have streched enought to fit now.....;)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Yer probably ok.

Now, if it's exspensive ultra light rain gear, then I'd probably avoid putting it under there. Only because over time the heat, while it won't melt the fabric, could have an adverse affect on the DWR coating.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my insurance card, copy of registration and my owners manual in a ziplock bag under the seat. So far nothing has melted or burned. Though, the owners manual has started to change color, but that doesnt bother me too much.

About additional storage and luggage, Cortech from Tourmaster makes a nice universal Tail & Saddle bag set. They look very nice and comes with all kinds of mounting straps. I just bought their Sport Tail Bag, but havent tried storing anything yet. Instatlling it was simple. I wil post a review about it sometime next week with plenty of pics and my thoughts on them if you are interested. Next month I will try and purchase the saddle bags as well.

Heres what the set looks like:
r1_alternate.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my insurance card, copy of registration and my owners manual in a ziplock bag under the seat. So far nothing has melted or burned. Though, the owners manual has started to change color, but that doesnt bother me too much.

About additional storage and luggage, Cortech from Tourmaster makes a nice universal Tail & Saddle bag set. They look very nice and comes with all kinds of mounting straps. I just bought their Sport Tail Bag, but havent tried storing anything yet. Instatlling it was simple. I wil post a review about it sometime next week with plenty of pics and my thoughts on them if you are interested. Next month I will try and purchase the saddle bags as well.

Heres what the set looks like:
r1_alternate.jpg
Hombre, that looks KOOL! Damn close match to Yamaha Blue. Now, I await your report on compatability of the saddle bags with the undertail exhaust. Jfz6: I store Co2 cartridges (inflate tire stuff) under the seat, so far, so good. I think you're okay storing stuff there (if you can fit it). As an aside, maybe coat raingear with a sheet of reflective aluminum foil to further deflect heat? You sure it's going to fit in there though?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are probably fine. The remote for my Ohlins and my PC3 box sit there. Also the tool kit with its bag hang out there, they don't melt so you are good.

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Compatability of the saddle bags with the undertail exhaust is no problem at all! Just do not EVER put a 12 pack of Bud-Lite in each of the lower bags, as I did. The extra weight can and will carry the bag into the rear tire! I have a hole in one of mine b/c of that! The weight limit is 10lbs/ bag, but I was thirsty, & had fellow biker buddies on the way... and, yes, I felt like an idiot! The $250.00 Tri-Bag Set was only 2 weeks old at the time... Eek?

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Compatability of the saddle bags with the undertail exhaust is no problem at all! Just do not EVER put a 12 pack of Bud-Lite in each of the lower bags, as I did. The extra weight can and will carry the bag into the rear tire! I have a hole in one of mine b/c of that! The weight limit is 10lbs/ bag, but I was thirsty, & had fellow biker buddies on the way... and, yes, I felt like an idiot! The $250.00 Tri-Bag Set was only 2 weeks old at the time... Eek?

Good to know if I ever get those. That's pretty much all I use tail bags for.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my owners manual in a zip lock bag and when I went to look something up in the manual, the zip lock wasn't exactly melted but it was a little deformed and when I tried to open the bag, it had fused together so I had to tear the bag off. It does get a little warm under the seat so I wouldn't recommend storing something plastic under there.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't keep any rain gear under my seat so I can't really say..........but I do keep a small portable emergency kit in a plastic zippered container and it NEVER once melted or gotten soft. If what your packing starts to melt or soften maybe you have other issues to be taken care of.