First bag

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding with a backpack for some time that I had for years. It's a great lightweight reflective backpack that I use to keep my wallet, phone, additional jacket liner, etc in. It also makes me more visible on the road.

Few days ago on my ride I stopped by at the Walmart about 35 miles from my house to pick up few cans of DuPont chain cleaner that is not available where I live. I bought about 5 cans and put them to the backpack. At the beginning it was OK, but after few miles I could feel the weight on my shoulders.

I decided it's time to get a bag or a case.

So my question is which option is best for a first bag to carry wallet, phone, jacket liner and/or lightweight rain-suite + occasionally small stuff from shopping?

- tank bag
- rear top rack with a case
- sear seat bag.

I'm not into long time touring yet, so side cases are not an option for me now.

So the tank bags... I know many people use them, but is there any particular that feats FZ6's tank better than the others? Does it make the bike top-heavy with... let's say 5 cans of DuPont? How do ones attached to gas caps compare to magnetic ones? Are they worth the extra money?

Or is it better to skip the tank bag and invest in the top rack and a case? It can usually hold more and secure, but does it make a rear of the bike top heavy a lot? I'm not touring now, but I hope it will change in the future, so could be a good investment.

I'm riding alone, so the rear seat bag is also an option, but I read they can melt because of FZ6's under-seat exhaust. Or should I just secure my backpack with bungee net?

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a tank bag and a rear seat(tail)bag for most of my excursions. I bought a complete set from Dowco. Search around, there are so many different styles:thumbup:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Once you've had a hard locking topcase you'll wonder what you ever did without one.

That being said, a tank bag can do most of what you want, a fair bit cheaper.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
A tank bag is hands down the most convenient form of luggage.

Why?

1. it's easy to access from the saddle when say, stopped at a light. I check my phone at lights to see if I missed any important calls

2. Tank bags are magnetic so there is no wasting time strapping and unstrapping the bag every time you stop somewhere and don't want to leave all your valuables on the bike.

3. tank bags are affordable. I think I paid $30 for my icon bag and it fits all my essentials, electronics & chargers, wallet, change, ear plugs, pocket knife and has a handy map pocket so you can see your map while riding. I also throw my garmin GPS in the map pocket if I get lost to find my way home!

I would also look into a tail bag for times when you need to do some light shopping on the bike. I get groceries all the time in my tail bag...it will fit a gallon of milk and box of cereal or a 24 case of beer :)

You won't notice the extra weight of luggage since they are stationary and any weight you carry will be over the bikes center axis so an extra 10, 20 or 40 lbs won't make much difference on a 430 lb bike.

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
You're gonna get a bunch or different responses since everyone has their own preference.

For me, I would go with a tail bag first. It carries more and is not right in front of you. I also have a tank bag I use if I'm going on a longer ride or know I'll need the extra storage. I have a Cortech Sport tail bag, but I believe the Motocentric (sp?) is pretty much the same but a little cheaper. It holds my lunch box and 4 or 5 bottles of water with room to spare. I also have a Bilt tank bag I got a Cycle Gear for like $20 during a sale.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Rapid Transit magnetic tank bag. Commute to work most every day unless it is lightning or below 24 degrees F. When I get to the office it is simple to take the bag off and sling it over my shoulder. Holds everything I need including Frog Togs jacket, dress shoes, iPad, clear face shield (for when I have to work past sunset). Big enough to get a good bit of stuff in but not too big. Easy on and easy off. For the times I want to go out for a quick fun ride I leave it at home and there is nothing extra on my bike. For traveling will strap a small duffle bag on the back - want removable side cases or tale case but $$$$$$$. A top case would be great when traveling as you could have your stuff protected and not have to worry about it when stopping to eat.

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna get a bunch or different responses since everyone has their own preference.

I was expecting this, but I also was hoping for something like "Get a tank bag first as it will all you need now" or "Go ahead and invest in a top case as it will do 3 times more than tank bag and will last 2 limes longer" :)

For me, I would go with a tail bag first. It carries more and is not right in front of you.

How inconvenient is it to reach to the bag behind you if i.e. you have to pay for a tall or something similar?

I have a Cortech Sport tail bag, but I believe the Motocentric (sp?) is pretty much the same but a little cheaper. It holds my lunch box and 4 or 5 bottles of water with room to spare. I also have a Bilt tank bag I got a Cycle Gear for like $20 during a sale.

I think CycleGear has Monocentric ones. I'll stop by and take a look. Thanks!

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
Holds everything I need including Frog Togs jacket, dress shoes, iPad, clear face shield (for when I have to work past sunset). Big enough to get a good bit of stuff in but not too big.

Yeah, that's more less what I need the bag for. Wallet, phone, a clear GPS pocket maybe, clear visor.

Want removable side cases or tale case but $$$$$$$.

That's the main point of my question. Is it worth to invest in rack and top case as a first bag or start with tank/saddle bag and see how it works. I'm not sure if I need a big top case for my weekend rides.

Also, how do magnetic bags compare to something like this?

Givi TPH02 Tanklock Tankbag - RevZilla

This Givi is tiny, but I'm more interested in the mounting mechanism. Is it reliable? More convenient? Those bags seem to stick out more to the top with this mounting.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed an Ogio Stealth Tail Bag and think it's incredible. Goes on super easy, and unclips when you want to take it with you. I'll never ride with a backpack again.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
How inconvenient is it to reach to the bag behind you if i.e. you have to pay for a tall or something similar?

Well, honestly I have never had to do this. I would use my jacket pockets as storage for things like change. If I needed something I could reach in to real quick I would go with the tank bag. I put things in the tail bad I wouldn't need while riding (lunch box, bottles of water, ect.) When I go on longer rides, I use my tank bag as well for wallet, GPS, cell phone, hat, ect. Riding to and from work, these things are either not with me (hat, GPS) or fit in my jacket pockets (wallet, cell phone).

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i like the axio tank/tail bags, they are waterproof, easy to paint to match and look nice. the tank bag converts to a backpack when you take it off the bike and the tailbag converts to a sholder bag when you take it off the bike.

park100110.jpg

park100123.jpg

park100131.jpg

park10015.jpg

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
i like the axio tank/tail bags, they are waterproof, easy to paint to match and look nice. the tank bag converts to a backpack when you take it off the bike and the tailbag converts to a sholder bag when you take it off the bike.

I like the looks of those Axio bags a lot, too. Pricey but might be worth it.

Are the ones on your bike the "2.0" version for R1?

The ones that I found on Axio website have a clear map pocket on top of them. And they seem to be the only ones available online. I'm not sure if they are a newer version or what.

Thanks for posting pics. Very helpful!

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a tank bag that I use to keep everything I need when riding, warmer gloves, jacket liner, and a few other odds and ends that I have found handy to have with me. I also like to keep my wallet and phone in there because I don't like to have bulky pockets when riding. I find it makes it really easy to work with and I have a strap so I can carry it like a back pack.

I have a Cortech bag, it's probably a mid level size, and I've thought about getting a smaller one. This would be because I find it to be a pain to bring it with me when going inside a store or restaurant.

I really feel that it's a personal preference about the tank bag, I have met some people who can't stand them or feel they get in their way. I've never felt this way about mine and I really don't even notice it's there most of the time, other times I find it nice to have for when I tuck in, it's like having a pillow to lay on. :p

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the looks of those Axio bags a lot, too. Pricey but might be worth it.

Are the ones on your bike the "2.0" version for R1?

The ones that I found on Axio website have a clear map pocket on top of them. And they seem to be the only ones available online. I'm not sure if they are a newer version or what.

Thanks for posting pics. Very helpful!

i got mine on ebay they were around $70 each new

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was in college, I used to fill a big backpack with groceries every two weeks. Including bottles of soda and everything :rof: It would get so heavy that I had come up with this way to pick it up and put it on me. Then when I got on the bike, the bag was so heavy that I had to rest it on the passenger seat to take the weight off my back. So thats how I learned to ride two-up! :rof:

Good luck in your search.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a Dowco Fastrax tail bag yesterday for my first bad. i do not ride with a passenger so i decided it would be easiest to just have a tail bag, plus they are bigger. I think the bag feels awesome, but i have not had a chance to put it on the bike since i am on the road for work. i can't wait to try it out.

anyone have experience with this bag?

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
i got mine on ebay they were around $70 each new

It seems like the only color left is the carbon and ony few places still have them. Even yamaha website only has carbon ones.

I wanted to match my bike and get black ones. I even convinced the wife already! What a bummer :( I might call axio and ask if they have any leftovers.

The original Axio tank bags are different than the ones designed for Yamaha.

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you who are interested a couple of Axio Yamaha R bags showed up on eBay today. Black and blue ones.

I got myself a set :) Can't wait to pot them on the bike!