Stock Tire milage question

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have about 6k miles on my stock tires (I got the bike new about 8 months ago). I am planning on making a trip to California next month and think I will add about 3k more miles. I am curious if the stock tires will be ok with this amount of miles? Or should I get some new tires first. If so, what are the best sport touring style tires out there?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

And what tires are they putting on them stock these days?

But they'll probably be alright -
1. From what I've heard, it doesn't rain in Cali.
2. If you just got the bike, you probably haven't been pushing it too hard yet.
3. If you realize you need tires, there are lots of bike shops in Cali.

As for recommendations - Michelin PR3s and Metzler Z8s seem to be the forum favorites. I have a pair of Avon Storm2Ultras that are great, but I got a great deal on them and probably wouldn't buy at retail prices.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up in socal, yes it does rain, maybe not as much this time of year tho. I got 9k out of the D252's that were stock on the bike. For a long distance trip, I would go ahead and change them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock tires were changed at 135xx here, but could have gone over 14xxx if I let them.
There is no way to take a guess at what you will get from yours. Too many variables.

I replaced them with the Z8 from Metzeler, and they handle incredibly well. Zero slippage!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
My stock tires were toast at 6k. The front was scalloped and the back was flat across the middle. They still had some tread left but they would slip out in corners when wet.

Get some new tires if for nothing else other then piece of mind.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
How old are the stock tires? My 2009 FZ6 came with tires made in late 2008. It might be time regardless of treadwear. See here on how to check age:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/43866-would-you-change-tires-if.html#post476463

There are about 21,053 opinions on tires here. I have Bridgestone BT-023's which have been good to me. But any of the quality Sport-Touring tires out there (Tires Sport Touring at Competition Accessories) will probably do you well. Browse the threads in the Tire forum for more thoughts.

Tire Tech Talk - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
My stock tires were toast at 6k. ...the back was flat across the middle. They still had some tread left but they would slip out in corners when wet.

Same result on BT020s stockers, at 6200. Just got a set of PR2s (recommended by forum members) yesterday. Big difference on the way home.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An 08, new to me w/4k on it. They were toast at 8k (end of 1st year of new owner). I'd replace them on age alone...

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
How old are the stock tires? My 2009 FZ6 came with tires made in late 2008. It might be time regardless of treadwear. See here on how to check age:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/43866-would-you-change-tires-if.html#post476463

There are about 21,053 opinions on tires here. I have Bridgestone BT-023's which have been good to me. But any of the quality Sport-Touring tires out there (Tires Sport Touring at Competition Accessories) will probably do you well. Browse the threads in the Tire forum for more thoughts.

Tire Tech Talk - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Thanks for posting this. I checked the date and mine were made the 43ed week of 2008.