Stock seat

hansfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I don't know about you guys but my butt feels abused after about 50 miles. The stock seat sucks :spank: Any suggestions, different type, brands I am willing to try anything.

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I don't know about you guys but my butt feels abused after about 50 miles. The stock seat sucks :spank: Any suggestions, different type, brands I am willing to try anything.

I had the exact same problem... Couldn't go 100km (60mi) without feeling like I was sitting on a campfire... Bought the OEM comfort seat upgrade for my 08 online and installed it about a month ago... Took it on a 300 km ride as a test and got pissed off because it seemed no better than the stock seat and my butt still hurt... However, after about 1000km (600mi) it "broke in" and now it's as if I'm riding on a nice comfy pillow.

The key is to sit at the back of the seat at all times ie: where the "hump" is that the passenger sits on... Hug the tank with your knees/legs to keep yourself in this position while being pushed forward by stopping momentum, and also to keep pressure off of your wrists.

I used to straddle the front of the stock seat (near where it contacts the tank), and that did my butt and thighs absolutely no favours (left bruises even).

The OEM comfort seat upgrade was a terrific choice for me.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search here for "Top Saddlery" and you will find the seat of your dreams is merely a few clicks (and a few bucks!) away. :thumbup:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
The key is to sit at the back of the seat at all times ie: where the "hump" is that the passenger sits on... Hug the tank with your knees/legs to keep yourself in this position while being pushed forward by stopping momentum, and also to keep pressure off of your wrists.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

You sit on the passenger part of the seat? surely you mean just "up to" where the passenger portion starts. I could see your post interpreted either way... didnt want any total newbs reading it and trying it and then crashing.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search for seats on here there are lots of options from doing it yourself, Bagster, Top saddlery and taking it to an upholsterer.

The stock seat is like a brick.

I have a Yamaha lowered seat which I believe is not available in the states and it is great.

Steve

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been mentioned several times before here.. the cheapest and simplest "fix": quality padded underwear (for cycling).
Oh and just ride more :D
Your butt will get used to it.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been mentioned several times before here.. the cheapest and simplest "fix": quality padded underwear (for cycling).
Oh and just ride more :D
Your butt will get used to it.

Go to LDcomfort.com and order a pair. Yes, they're expensive, but my range went from about 100 miles to over 1000 miles per day with a pair of these.

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
You sit on the passenger part of the seat? surely you mean just "up to" where the passenger portion starts. I could see your post interpreted either way... didnt want any total newbs reading it and trying it and then crashing.

Good catch... Yeah I meant to sit such that you're making contact at the back of the RIDER portion of the seat... Your tail bone at/against the rising "hump" where the passenger would sit, NOT to sit on the passenger portion of the seat. Haha.

As for the riding pants... I'm selling a pair of quality bike pants that I used exactly once. Paid $120 for them new 2 weeks ago, will sell for $80 plus shipping if anyone wants a nice, like new pair. My ad here:

FS: LIKE NEW Pearl Izumi Slice UltraSensor Shorts

-Dave

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the pleasure of both a corbin and a top saddlery.. this is how it seemed to me..

Corbin vs Stock
-corbin hands down. it does take a bit to break in and you do slide a little on it (nothing major, helps a little in getting low for turns), but you can easily do 150-200 miles before "needing" to take a short brake. is a little wider on the inseam, but i didnt really think it made that much of a difference (maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch if that..) leather did get hot if left in the sun, but no worse than the stock. (i have heard the gel insert option makes it really hot, but i did not have that option). the front end of the seat (by the tank) is just a hair taller than the stock, so you'll slide a little into the tank (at least i did and it wasnt a big deal at all. even during emergency stops i always felt that the seat did not make any difference from stock) all in all it is a great seat.

Top Saddlery vs Stock
Night and day. Top Saddlery is awsome. take about 1000 miles to really break in (at least i felt mine did), but aftert that its like sitting on a couch. soo comfy. rides can be around 200-250 before "needing" a brake. (thats about the longest i could go). inseam is about the same as a corbin, so just a hair larger... the front of the seat (by the gas tank) is lifted up a bit and makes it so you can slide into the tank. Also makes if way more comfy if you are the type to ride more toward the front of the seat. The back is really comfy... The material i have is not slippery at all... I never slide around unless im physically moving myself (durring turns its easy to still get down low or move around a biton the seat)..

Hope this helps. Either seat is great, but if your looking to do any serious traveling on the bike or do alot of work commuting, i would go for the Top Saddlery.. if you are looking to do track days and weekend fun runs.. i would steer toward the Corbin.. just my opinion after using both for a good number of miles. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the stock seat was not flat enough and it left me cramped and uncomfortable on longer rides.

I took the stock seat to Apple Auto Glass and told them what I wanted: a flatter seat so that I would not tend to slide forward; and to have the rise moved back an inch or so to give me more room to move around.

The turn around time was only three days. They put in a high density foam and a carbon fiber like cover. The seat looks great and is very comfortable. Cost $150 Cdn with taxes included. A great improvement - all day comfort.