Stock seat, where do you sit on it?

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the only things I hessitated about when I switched to the FZ6 is the banana seat. I'm a biggish guy (5'10" 200lbs) but I don't have a massive ass.

It just seems when I sit on the stock seat I kinda swim in it.

Naturally, I seem to gravitate to sitting in the middle of the front portion, but notice sometimes I gradually (unknowingly) move forwad until my crotch painfully hits the tank. Lately I've tried moving my butt back until I'm up against the bump before the rear seat, and it seems to allow me to lean down easier on rides.

How do you sit on your FZ and did any of you switch to an aftermarket seat or install the Yamaha rear seat cover to overcome this ambiguous design?

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, my seat is annoying me at the moment too. It seems to tip me forward so I end up pushed up against the fuel tank. Am not that big - about 12 stone and 5'11" - but never had this problem on the ER5 I learned on.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I find myself sitting on the more forward portion but not quite far enough to grind the ole tank. The seat is more narrow there and probably contributes to butt fatigue, but I like the overall feel of the bike better there. That may come from a couple years spent on a dirtbike. It just feels a tad wallowy to me sitting further back.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to sit in roughly the middle-third of the stock seat. I feel that the bike responds a little quicker with me there. I had the same issues with seat sliding, especially with a pillion rider, which is why I got a TS saddle. Huge difference. I don't know if the OEM seat cowl would have made a difference or not. I will probably be posting a brand new, never used seat cowl soon though, if you're interested. It's the Cerulean Silver colour.

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool info so far, so it seems I'm not alone in my troubles.

I use the bike for commute and not for touring, so longest I go each way is about 40-50km. So comfort for long tours are not a concern for me.

In fact, I do enjoy taking sharp corners and leaning down low, so it seems that TS seat is not ideal because of the cushiness.

Any other ideas on how to solve this problem? Is a Corbin seat the only solution? Or perhaps the stock Yamaha cowl?

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Only other option I've thought of is to remove the seat cover and reshape the foam of the stock seat slightly. I havn't been inconvienced enough to try it yet, but the thought crossed my mind. Others on the forum say it works for them.
I suspect the forward slope of the seat is mostly responsible for the always finding yourself crushed against the tank problem. I figure that the shape of the seat pan (not the foam) is half of the problem. (Although me being 5'6" and streching to reach the bars dosen't help:D).
BTW - for my shorter height I find it necessary to sit near the front most of the time, but to change positions on a long ride, I just end up sliding forward again. I can see how for someone any taller the seat would be a problem - I suspect corbin would help, however it is more of a touring seat.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All over the tank, when i am going hard, right in the middle when i am cruising...i love the FZ6 seat, can ride on that thing for hours before numb bum sets in....

:thumbup:

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't. You order a new one from Top Saddlery and ride the heck out of it. That will be one mod that you will not regret. :thumbup:

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't. You order a new one from Top Saddlery and ride the heck out of it. That will be one mod that you will not regret. :thumbup:

Does everyone return their stock one to TS or did anyone buy an extra? It just seems like a weird process to me.

Also, seems TS is more for comfort. I kind of want a seat that holds me firmly in place but still allow me to lean on turns.

That said, if I have to spend $500 for a seat it would only be if I keep the bike for next season too... decisions decisions decisions... :confused:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
my biggest peeve of the fz6 is the seat. I'm on the lighter side and i do slide around. I dont like it. I like the pillion seating of the fz1 or similar.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+2

Does everyone return their stock one to TS or did anyone buy an extra? It just seems like a weird process to me.

Also, seems TS is more for comfort. I kind of want a seat that holds me firmly in place but still allow me to lean on turns.

That said, if I have to spend $500 for a seat it would only be if I keep the bike for next season too... decisions decisions decisions... :confused:

I bought my saddle with the pan direct from TS. I kept my OEM saddle 'just in case'. I love that the TS saddle eliminated the buzz that the OEM saddle seems to transmit to my crotch. The one from TS allows me to slide side to side for shredding the twisties, but not forward/backwards to slap myself on the tank...

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, usually close enough to the tank that you'd think I was dating it.

I find that if I scooch backwards, I have a tendancy to sit too upright and lock my arms - making for poor counter-steering.

I find the comfort of the seat fine - it's just visually too damn big. I think eventually I'll get the seat cowl as I love the look.

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that if I scooch backwards, I have a tendancy to sit too upright and lock my arms - making for poor counter-steering.

That is precisely what I find. When I'm in the front half of the seat or end up bring right near the tank, I just feel like I'm squatting on the bike. Moving back to the rear half I would find myself really locking my elbows.

I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems TS seat may be a solution. Though some people said it's too cushy? Are Corbins more firm?