Stock Pipes, or What?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike 3 weeks ago. It's in great shape and/but one or both of the two previous owners did some mods: fender eliminator, shaved seat, some sort of change to the pipes.

I would not have had the seat shaved. The last owner was pretty short.:confused:

I like the sound of the pipes but I would like to know what kind they are. The parts guy at my local dealer said the cat box looked like it is a lot smaller than the stock version. The outlet tips do not have the two concentric pipes that I have seen on photos of stock bikes. The tips are angled to match the angle of the heat shields but the cuts seem a bit rougher than I would have expected from a stock part. Might someone have drilled out the baffles?

Any help or suggestions on how to find out what type pipes I have would be appreciated!

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the stock muffler and cat but the angle / lack of closeness of your pictures, is poor so its about impossible to tell.

Some better pictures would help.

If you can run a long, thin piece of pipe)maybe 25mm's(1/2") down the stock muffler hole would confirm the mufflers been drilled... :thumbup:

Pic of my stock, rear, 2007 cat (same as yours-click on the picture to enlarge it) as well as the stock muffler (no mods-before I replaced it):

Last edited:

special_k_828

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike 3 weeks ago. It's in great shape and/but one or both of the two previous owners did some mods: fender eliminator, shaved seat, some sort of change to the pipes.

I would not have had the seat shaved. The last owner was pretty short.:confused:

I like the sound of the pipes but I would like to know what kind they are. The parts guy at my local dealer said the cat box looked like it is a lot smaller than the stock version. The outlet tips do not have the two concentric pipes that I have seen on photos of stock bikes. The tips are angled to match the angle of the heat shields but the cuts seem a bit rougher than I would have expected from a stock part. Might someone have drilled out the baffles?

Any help or suggestions on how to find out what type pipes I have would be appreciated!

picture.php

picture.php

If you like the sound of your pipes, something was done to them. I'm stock and I don't even know what my pipes sound like because I can't hear them. :thumbup:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a deeper tone then there's a 99% chance they're drilled. I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble to custom fab an exhaust that looked just like the stock one.

From that angle your cat looks stock. The most common cat mod is to replace it with a straight pipe, which is clearly not the case making it likely that it's stock.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say that they are just drilled, shine a torch down the end of the pipes, you will see a few holes if they have been drilled.

Nelly
PS I like stock sound too

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, based on the input and on taking one more look down the pipe, it appears that the pipes were stock but someone removed the whole inner pipe that serves as, or supports the baffle. There are no drill holes. There are no baffles. It's wide open the full 14 or so inches back to where there appears to be some evidence of having had a smaller diameter pipe welded in. (You cannot see it in the pic.)

I have a pair of single wall 2" pipes. I think the stock pipes have the 2" with an inner pipe of about 1 1/4" inside it.

I agree that the cat appears to be the same as those that others have posted. Thanks.

As for the sound, I would not have changed this. Fortunately WV is not one of those states that gets tense about such things, like, for example, PA where I grew up. But that said, I LOVE the tone. The parts guy and a sales guy were favorably impressed by the deep growl. :D

My only regret is evenings when I return home through my neighborhood. But I've found that I can keep it reasonably quiet by keeping the revs at about 4k. If I lug it, it barks a bit louder.

Thanks everybody! Now I have to work another 3 hours till I can go ride again.

picture.php
[/IMG]

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a deeper tone then there's a 99% chance they're drilled. I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble to custom fab an exhaust that looked just like the stock one.

From that angle your cat looks stock. The most common cat mod is to replace it with a straight pipe, which is clearly not the case making it likely that it's stock.

yeah that would be me.... im custom fabricating the stock muffler so it can have an internal y pipe.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, based on the input and on taking one more look down the pipe, it appears that the pipes were stock but someone removed the whole inner pipe that serves as, or supports the baffle. There are no drill holes. There are no baffles. It's wide open the full 14 or so inches back to where there appears to be some evidence of having had a smaller diameter pipe welded in. (You cannot see it in the pic.)

I have a pair of single wall 2" pipes. I think the stock pipes have the 2" with an inner pipe of about 1 1/4" inside it.

I agree that the cat appears to be the same as those that others have posted. Thanks.

As for the sound, I would not have changed this. Fortunately WV is not one of those states that gets tense about such things, like, for example, PA where I grew up. But that said, I LOVE the tone. The parts guy and a sales guy were favorably impressed by the deep growl. :D

My only regret is evenings when I return home through my neighborhood. But I've found that I can keep it reasonably quiet by keeping the revs at about 4k. If I lug it, it barks a bit louder.

Thanks everybody! Now I have to work another 3 hours till I can go ride again.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Keep in mind the stock exhaust doesn't actually have any pipes, it's a big square box with a fake dual pipe cover attached to it.

These pictures might help you visualise what was done to your exhaust!

exhaust mod pics - Sportbikes.net

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
14845d1329007022t-another-fz6-exhaust-gutting-thread-gutted-exhaust-complete.jpg

Similar to this but I'm going to use 2" Perforated piping and put muffler packing around it. My hope is more exhaust flow and the make it louder.
And yeah basically.

Stock muffler:
parujaqy.jpg

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Starting to realize I am the odd man out.... I like the stock pipes.

yeah I'm sorta with you I dont mind the scream you can get when you really wind it out, and its as quiet as when you ride sedately. I wouldjust like to chaange the plastic look of the exhaust surround. Some of the chrome/ stainless steel exhaust systems would do me me fine but the cost is just too high in Aust.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will but I have yet to acquire some the 2" Perforated piping and open up the muffler and gut it.

Another member opened up a muffler with a cut off wheel for modifying it.

I think the easiest and lightest material that would work well would be regular muffler pipe.

Just mark it up as necessary and drill it yourself. It'd be a bit easier to cut (and work with) and weld it at the "Y" joint as well...

I believe he MIG welded it all back together...

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad is a professional welder and the best welder at his job. He can weld anything. Haven't found what he can't weld yet. He can acquire the Perforated stainless steel pretty cheaply. And he doesn't use cheap ass stainless steel.(I forgot which grade steel it is) I have to be precise with my cutting. Only if we could make the rest of the housing aluminum lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad is a professional welder and the best welder at his job. He can weld anything. Haven't found what he can't weld yet. He can acquire the Perforated stainless steel pretty cheaply. And he doesn't use cheap ass stainless steel.(I forgot which grade steel it is) I have to be precise with my cutting. Only if we could make the rest of the housing aluminum lol.

If you have access to SS already drilled pipe, sure, that's the way to go..

He's probably going to TIG weld it..:thumbup: