Stock exhaust mod???

kubiac73

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a lot of threads that I have researched on this site and other sites. I am not a mechanic by no means but I am handy with a wrench. I have decided that the stock exhaust is a great look and you can paint the covers, drilling holes in existing baffles, gutting it, running straight pipes, just the cat, Ive seen about all I can handle on posts on this issue. I would love to purchase aftermarkets, but im balling on a budget. Could anyone lend me a hand on what I SHOULD do without hurting the performance? I want a deeper and throatier sound than the stock sewing machine sound that i get now. Any suggestions???

Sounds like you've done the right thing by researching and educating yourself. It's your bike, your money and ultimately your decision in what direction you want to go. Cheapest option is just what you mentioned - drill out the baffels and paint em. Maybe start with that and if you're not liking it, start looking at the various aftermarket options out there.

Aftermarket exhausts are expensive, some more than others. All provide a deeper and much louder sound/tone than stock.

I purchased my Two Brothers based solely on looks and saved for over 1.5 years to get em. TB's are about the most expensive ones you can get, but others like Scorpion and Leo Vince are usually a little less expensive and look and sound fantastic.

If you want aftermarket exhaust you gotta "pay to play". FZ6 owners get dinged even more beacuse we have to buy two cans.

I put my TB's on without any additional modifications (no Power Commander and no Cat Eliminator pipe) and the bike runs fine. As for any HP gian, I don't think there is much, if any, noticable.

I just purchased the Scorpion Racing Exhaust for $480 shipped to my door, got them in 3 days. I have been dying to try them out so spring couldn't fast enough, but the sample ride I did down my street....it's a night and day different. Sound is incredible. The new Scorps also have the style of the TB exhaust so the look matches the sound. Install was a piece of cake too.

Also, just my 2 cents. From all the treads I read...not many have liked the sound of the drilled stock exhaust and if you are tight on cash, what happens if you do this and don't like the sound..then you are kinda stuck. I would wait till you save for AM exhaust..I dealt with my stock for 2 years before I took the plunge.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of threads that I have researched on this site and other sites. I am not a mechanic by no means but I am handy with a wrench. I have decided that the stock exhaust is a great look and you can paint the covers, drilling holes in existing baffles, gutting it, running straight pipes, just the cat, Ive seen about all I can handle on posts on this issue. I would love to purchase aftermarkets, but im balling on a budget. Could anyone lend me a hand on what I SHOULD do without hurting the performance? I want a deeper and throatier sound than the stock sewing machine sound that i get now. Any suggestions???
I took my exhaust to a muffler shop they cut a 6''x10'' hole and removed the baffles and welded it back up. It sounds great and makes more power.I also cut a larger hole in the air box intake and got a K&N filter and removed the cat. It runs way better than stock.

I just purchased the Scorpion Racing Exhaust for $480 shipped to my door, got them in 3 days. I have been dying to try them out so spring couldn't fast enough, but the sample ride I did down my street....it's a night and day different. Sound is incredible. The new Scorps also have the style of the TB exhaust so the look matches the sound. Install was a piece of cake too.

Also, just my 2 cents. From all the treads I read...not many have liked the sound of the drilled stock exhaust and if you are tight on cash, what happens if you do this and don't like the sound..then you are kinda stuck. I would wait till you save for AM exhaust..I dealt with my stock for 2 years before I took the plunge.

quick question for you as i dont want to commandere this thread?Where did you order your scorps and did they include the new style "edge" outlets. I'm assuming they were stainless.

I have Scorpions -- cost $489 shipped from pipecity.com. I wrote a review about them. They are really nice.

I'm a bit frugal and that kind of dough really hurt to spend (I can afford it but you know, it still sucks). I got them in August and was able to ride the heck out of them -- felt good! These pipes are the most expensive of my mods.

Before that, I drilled my stock exhaust (maybe 3 x 3/8" holes each side). I think it sounded a little better but still not the ultimate sound I was looking for. I think maybe it helped a little on performance (but not much and I'm sure it's subjective anyway). In fact, if you live nearby, I'd let you borrow it for a few days; it's heavy and probably not cheap to ship. I'm in South NH.

In retrospect, for my situation, I'd just get the Scorpions and bite the bullet and keep the OEM pipe intact for resale time. I think at resale time, the Scorpions hold value too. Plus, I had to spend $20 for a drill extension to drill and now I still have the tool but will probably never use it again -- unless the next bike needs drilling.

Dennis

I ordered them here. Their picture is outdated on their website, as I called to verify the style before I placed the order. Yes..they are stainless in the new style, like the 2 brothers....amazing sound.

Scorpion Exhaust - Scorpion Slip on Exhaust Yamaha FZ6 - Indysuperbikes

cool. their shop is right around the corner from me. they must have dropped the price on those scorps because i checked the price last fall and they were high. i love when shops who do a lot of internet sales compete for business. keeps their prices in check.

Back