Stock 08 Ninja650 vs. Stock 08 FZ6

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of getting one of these but the dealer said they cause problems on the 2008 model with signal interferance.
On my bike I have worked out 4000rpm at 40 MPH is 4th gear so if I forget where I am its pretty easy to work out by rpm and speed.

Never heard that before mate,I thought they would all be the same.The only probs I have heard of is you have to fit a diode in the neutral wire ,otherwise the neutral light glows in gear and some have found they need to reverse the speed and revs wires to get the unit to read correctly ,mine didn't.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is great. And the two riders being equal, the FZ6 will rape the 650 every time. I've raced many sv-650s and a couple ninja 650s at the track and all of them have been quite slow. Most riders have problems getting out of the 12s, while I'm deep in the 11s. I think the only times I've ridden a 12 second quarter on my fz6 was when I goosed it a little too much at the start and ended up wheelieing down half the track :)

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is great. And the two riders being equal, the FZ6 will rape the 650 every time. I've raced many sv-650s and a couple ninja 650s at the track and all of them have been quite slow. Most riders have problems getting out of the 12s, while I'm deep in the 11s. I think the only times I've ridden a 12 second quarter on my fz6 was when I goosed it a little too much at the start and ended up wheelieing down half the track :)

I recently saw an SV650S with a plate that says "GXRHNTR". I'd be interested to see a GSXR-600 vs. SV650 vs. FZ6.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I had fun with a gixxer the other day .... left him standing from about 120-200 (km/h)

Pull up at the light .... that a litre bike he asks ...... ? (he musta had one)

:spank:

hehe .....

But it does concern me ... no offense to anyone .... that a guy can be riding for months and have training and obviously asking questions and something so basic can be missed.

This wasn't really a safety issue ... but WHAT ELSE are the dealers too stupid to share with new clients?????

That's where this place is priceless .... such brilliant PRACTICAL advice ... thanks to all!!!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was going to buy either the FZ6 or the Ninja 650. Why would I have a reason to not believe the dealer when he told me the FZ6 had 5 speeds.

And I don't ride my baby on the highway terribly often. I ride it the 2 miles to work and rarely have to go faster than 45 - 60mph.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
I was searching for info. on the Mobil 1 4T Racing oil, when I found this... And even though it was irrelevant to I was looking for, I read the first 6 or so pages and it was worth it!:thumbup:

...It made me laugh.:rolleyes:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently saw an SV650S with a plate that says \\"GXRHNTR\\". I'd be interested to see a GSXR-600 vs. SV650 vs. FZ6.

With gearing and a good rider, the fz6 is a close match to the gsx-r.

With the people I go with, not one of them has beaten me on their SS 600s. I pull a better time :)

I even beat a dude on a SV-1000 consistently, but he was pretty hefty :)

Its probably about 75% rider, 25% bike. Sure a literbike will beat a 600 every race, unless its got a noob at the helm. With equal displacement and similar horsepower and setup(stretch, stance, etc), its all about the rider. That being said, the FZ6 does pretty well against the supersports, but the gearing and practice helps a ton.

This is the quickest run I've managed to post in the 1/8th 8.18 dragway- Video and some pics of me taking an R6, he trapped faster IIRC, but the fizzy took him in the overall time.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chunky! :welcome: Glad you got everything sorted out ;) This bunch is a great bunch, and you should hang around with us. The advice and caring that goes on in this forum is better than the other forums that i have been on.. I am not a forum-holic or anything. . but there is all give and take here. I think you will enjoy your stay, oh, and there should be not problem wooping that six fitty! ;)

Take care, look forward to more of your posts.

Deb

She is right..... this really is a great group here. I have really enjoyed the forum and made some really cool friends. Hope you have the same experience or better.:thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This past weekend i saw a guy on a CBR600, i thought i would try and egg him on we where on 75 (major highway) and he took it and off we went. At the time we were cruising at 55-65 and then i drop it it to 3rd gear and off we went. He lurched on me but the FIZZZ took off like a bat out of hell, i flew past him and had him till we hit 110, and i said that's enough, but i was proud of my boy. :rockon:

Iskyone

Reaction score
Visit site
from nuturel you go down to first gear, as you drive the bike you should be able to shift uo 5 times, first up is 2nd, then 3rd, 4th, 5th and finally 6th.

I also own a 08 and it is a 6 speed. Hope this helps..
You will learn as you look through the forums.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was going to buy either the FZ6 or the Ninja 650. Why would I have a reason to not believe the dealer when he told me the FZ6 had 5 speeds.

Research??? This would have told you otherwise... a web search, magazine comparison tests.... and oh yeh, Yamaha's own web site:thumbup:

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
from nuturel you go down to first gear, as you drive the bike you should be able to shift uo 5 times, first up is 2nd, then 3rd, 4th, 5th and finally 6th.

I also own a 08 and it is a 6 speed. Hope this helps..
You will learn as you look through the forums.

This issue was resolved long ago. But good effort:thumbup:

jeeveseatcracker

Reaction score
Visit site
heheh...From neutral, first gear is one click (more like *THOCK*) down. From there, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth, are all clicks up.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully, the 94 people before you already said that. And how that became an issue is beyond me, the issue was - is the FZ6 6 speeds (and it is derr) and which is faster, ninja 650 or the fz600.

how to find first gear was never a question asked.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully, the 94 people before you already said that. And how that became an issue is beyond me, the issue was - is the FZ6 6 speeds (and it is derr) and which is faster, ninja 650 or the fz600.

how to find first gear was never a question asked.

so, just so everyone is clear.. first is down below N, and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and magic 6th are all above it. and to find 1st, you just keep stepping down on the shifter (pedal on <-- left side of bike) until it stops "clicking"

CIMG0366E.jpg

:Flip:

S

sportrider

Hey Sportrider. When you are looking for \"classic\" threads a year from now, THIS IS ONE OF THEM!

Priceless...
If only I had seen this earlier!!!!

probably a good thing I didn't, I've been in one of those moods lately so I've been staying away so I don't become the "House" of the forum :D

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I hope we all have this square now but I couldn't read anymore after page 4. If you look on the casing directly behind your shifter (this is the case on most bikes I have ever checked not just the FZ) It shows the shifting pattern right on the side of the bike. If the numbers go up to six then the bike should shift six times including first. I actualy had a newer rider on a Katana who thought he had 5 gears and I was like no way and looked for the shift pattern and shure as s**t it said six so I rode it and found out he just had a small problem with counting. No harm No foul.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I hope we all have this square now but I couldn't read anymore after page 4. If you look on the casing directly behind your shifter (this is the case on most bikes I have ever checked not just the FZ) It shows the shifting pattern right on the side of the bike. If the numbers go up to six then the bike should shift six times including first. I actualy had a newer rider on a Katana who thought he had 5 gears and I was like no way and looked for the shift pattern and shure as s**t it said six so I rode it and found out he just had a small problem with counting. No harm No foul.

You should have read more.

Status
Not open for further replies.