Stiff clutch lever

Prince Valium

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that my clutch lever is REALLY stiff. Just lubed it up today and will see how it performs on the next ride. Do you find that the clutch pull on the FZ6 is pretty stiff?

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that my clutch lever is REALLY stiff. Just lubed it up today and will see how it performs on the next ride. Do you find that the clutch pull on the FZ6 is pretty stiff?

I think the clutch on the FZ6 needs a harder pull than many bikes, but I don't find it too bad once you get used to it. Mine improved significantly when I replaced the aftermarket cable (that was fitted when I had the bike) with OEM.

thisisdylan

Reaction score
Visit site
when i bought mine, it was very stiff. it was also out of adjustment and loose, so i bought a new cable and it is 100x smoother. my friend rode by bike and said it's still pretty stiff. i'm used to it and it doesn't bother me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lubricate the cable or replace if it has high miles and hasn't been serviced.

After a couple of miles of being lubed, it'll get considerably easier.

I use both the pressure lube tool W/cable specific oil and just a squeeze tube (with needle) with 30wt oil.(Alternatly)

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody!

Is there any reason why I can't get the lube to go all the way through the cable?

Recently I bought the 06' FZ6S and when I tried to lube the clutch cable I found that the lube can't go all the way through and come out on the other end no matter how hard I tried. I used the clutch lube tool (link to the image of the tool below), which I used plenty of times on my old bike so I don't think there's a problem with it.

I know there's an adjustment "thingy" half way through the cable so maybe somehow it's blocking the lube?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqIOKpcE3J,RS2B8BN0-vlVTQw~~/s-l400.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody!

Is there any reason why I can't get the lube to go all the way through the cable?

Recently I bought the 06' FZ6S and when I tried to lube the clutch cable I found that the lube can't go all the way through and come out on the other end no matter how hard I tried. I used the clutch lube tool (link to the image of the tool below), which I used plenty of times on my old bike so I don't think there's a problem with it.

I know there's an adjustment "thingy" half way through the cable so maybe somehow it's blocking the lube?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqIOKpcE3J,RS2B8BN0-vlVTQw~~/s-l400.jpg

Your issue is NOT unusual. There's a "mid cable adjuster" just inside the left frame rail that WILL leak when pressurized.

You can snip the zip tie retainer just inside the frame (its's tight!) and pull the cable partially out and tape around it to help keep "some" of the lube in.(it is messy). I use both the pressurizer and the needle with full synthetic oil squirted from both ends.

If its really gooed up, you should partially remove it, tape it and squirt till all the crap comes pout (or a new cable-freshly lubed)

As a side note, if there's a bunch of oil in the cable, it will collect and DRIP at the low point of the cable. Took me a little while to chase down what appeared to be an engine oil leak...It wasn't... I now keep a folded up paper towel under the low spot (its not really visible) and it catches all the excess oil.

Once lubed, the cables / lever is not bad at all. Lube the bushing with grease at the clutch perch too... You'll get used to it..

The mid section adjuster:

Part #1, look close:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V STEERING HANDLE CABLE Diagram

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned in the previous posts - changing the clutch cable usually does a drastic difference.

Also used a proper cable lubricant with the new cable and it's been doing wonders for the last 3 years. Much thinner/lighter lube than using engine oil that some use and seems to attract less dirt.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
26,000 mi on oem cable and it pulls easy. Lube it 3 to 4x a season. I remove it from the perch so there is no strain on the cable and feed a small teflon tube past the elbow and pump in two cc of Mobil1 engine oil. Engine hates that crap but it works fine on the clutch cable!
Reassemble, adjust, and its good after a short ride.
FWIW it does eventually drip out by the lower clutch arm.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup: - gonna give it a chance with a couple more lube jobs, and if it doesn't sort itself out replace with a new cable.