Stickerbomb! (Pic heavy)

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
'Sticker art (also known as sticker bombing, "sticker slapping", slap tagging, and sticker tagging) is a form of street art in which an image or message is publicly displayed using stickers' - Wikipedia.

I'm not entirely sure where the concept of stickerbombing originates, however the style is massive on the Japanese modified car scene (Google images link for some great examples), and has been slowly creeping into the Euro-style scene too. There seems to be a real love-hate feeling for it, personally in the right places and not overdone, I love it; and following the worlds slowest collision into the rear of an SV650 resulting in a smashed carbon fender (see pics 1 and 2), decided now was the time to try it for myself!

This is also my first guide; I don't claim that this is the best way, only the way I've done it... It's probably also worth noting that I've written this with a specific application to a front fender, but the tools and technique from stage 4 on are fairly adaptable to any bodywork or panels you wish to get sticky with!

To start, there are a few things you will need, see pic 3;
  • Gorilla / Duct / heavy duty tape
  • Craft knives / stanley blades
  • Wet and Dry - Various grades
  • Clear laquer (not pictured)
  • Stickerbomb book / stickers

For those unfamiliar, unless you have a massive collection of stickers (see Pic 4), the Stickerbomb book is a must have and is readily available via [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stickerbomb&x=0&y=0"]Amazon[/ame] or [ame="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=stickerbomb+book&_sacat=0&_odkw=stickerbomb&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313"]eBay[/ame].

Stage 1 - Pic 5

Clean up the underside of the fender. Mine was fairly clean and was a simple case of sponging down with warm soapy water and rinsing before leaving to air dry for a few hours. Using the tape I patched up the splits in the fender from the underside, leaving a little to overlap the edge of the carbon.

Stage 2 - Pic 6

Trim the the overlapping tape and smooth down, ensuring there are as few creases in the tape as possible - Not only to keep the end result as smooth as posisble, but also to reinforce the lip of the fender. I then forced the splintered carbon on the top into the tape on the underside, ready for the next step.

Stage 3 - Pic 7

Starting with the heaviest grit Wet and Dry, start to sand down and remove the freying carbon and cracked finish. You may notice a red line marked across the middle of the fender, I used this as a guide to show how far back the stickerbomb design was going to go... Anyway, keep going with the Wet and Dry until you are happy with the texture of the finish.

Stage 4 - Pic 8 / Pic 9 / Pic 10

Start sticking! I didn't want too clean a line to the design, so chose specific stickers with the right edges. Starting along the red line and working my way down, across the face of the fender. Overlapping and aiming to use predominantly black/white/red stickers, to fit in with the colour scheme of my bike... There are literally pages of stickers and individual designs to choose from in the book! You can see from the picture that overlapping stickers under the fender is a good idea to keep the aesthetics consistant.

Continued on next post...

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
Stage 5 - Pic 11

Not quite a complete stage, however still worth a note... I patched over the edges of the stickers on the underside - For security and to ensure water doesn't foul the finish, I cut smaller pieces of tape and secured the stickers, leaving a little strip for effect.

Stage 6 - Pic 12 / Pic 13 / Pic 14 / Pic 15

Using a clear (gloss) laquer, give the whole fender a few coats, allowing to dry between each one - I used a specific automotive laquer to guarantee a waterproof and glossy finish.

Stage 7 - Pic 16 / Pic 17

Fit and admire your handy work!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it! well done! That seems a great way cover up a little oops moment with artistic flair!

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I like it! well done! That seems a great way cover up a little oops moment with artistic flair!

Thanks! It certainly kept me quiet for the bank holiday weekend... I haven't seen the stickerbomb-style used much on bikes!

Probably should have noted, cost less than £20 in supplies, including the sticker book! Much more affordable than a new fender :thumbup:

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
How did ya break the fender?
The close up looks very good.
Nelly

Riding behind an SV650 in very slow moving / stop-start traffic, he'd come to a fairly abrupt stop and I wasn't paying proper attention :spank:... Didn't have the front brake covered either, so rolled straight into the rear of his bike, rubbed to the side of his wheel and jammed my fender under his exhaust.... We both pulled over to inspect the damage, I took the entire brunt of the 5mph oopsy, not even a scuff on his bike! I apologised, he was nice enough about it, we shook hands and regained the traffic jam!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great cheap way to fix a problem in the short term, but i bet you end up replacing that fender, cause you know it's broken, and it will get to you eventually!

:D