Steering Head Bearing Failure:

What Do You Think Causes Steering Head Bearing Failures?

• Insufficient/Bad Factory Grease

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Bad Factory Seals = Water Damage

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Bad Original Bearings

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Factory Torque Settings When New

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Wheelies and/or Impacting The Front Forks

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Having owned at least five other bikes before my Fazer I have never had to replace any steering head bearings. I had never heard of these bearing failures until I came to the forum. I am amazed how many folks have had problems. (I have had to replace two sets of swingarm bushings on dirt bikes)
There seems to be much dissention as to the cause of these failures.
Some folks say wheelies are the cause. Others that wheelie daily say "no problems". Some say water. Some say their bearings last forever while others have failures as soon as the warranty is gone, etc, etc, etc.
While I know that this poll will not generate any concrete evidence and it is based only on personal opinons, it IS (somewhat) based on owner's own personal experiences as well. I would like to hear everyone's opinion and just see what the general board's opinion is? This is for everyone whether or not you've had problems with your bearings. Thanks for your input.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I have wondered the same thing and if it is something that only effects earlier years. Is it a problem that was fixed in the 2007 and up models or is it still an issue?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I too have wondered that myself. Lots of thoughts on this but I have noticed that on most of the photos that people have shown us, there is definitely rust. Since there is a bottom seal and a top cover, I wonder if water is getting in and not getting out? Too, their location exposes them to a lot of rising heat from the engine, (when parked while no air is flowing around them), which accelerates corrosion caused by moisture and a constant heating/cooling cycle of the factory-installed grease.
Wheelies can't be good for them, but how much different is that from hitting rough patches of pavement, (especially during heavy braking)? I just thought this a good chance to get input from a lot of Fazer riders/owners. That is one of the great things about this board: We have such a diverse cross section of riders and a huge storehouse of wisdom, information, and experience!

Last edited:

michael_p

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it might be the torque setting.
Too loose torque, causes water to enter.
When I changed my bearings, the nut was very loose :eek:

120-dsc_0608.jpg

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it a problem that was fixed in the 2007 and up models or is it still an issue?

I think you are right, but maybe someone with better info than me just thinking I remember could chime in...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 FZ6 with 40000km's on it, and my bearing's are fine...i ride hard, but dont do wheelies.

I also live in a very dry climate.

If rust is an issue, then it is obviously water that is causing the problem, maybe those in colder climates, should protect their bearings, with a decent coating of grease on the outside, to protect from water getting in there...

Just my 2 cents again.

:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought someone on here had discovered that the rubber plug on the bottom did not have a "weep hole" in it, or was it that it did have one and water was being driven up into the steering head?

Either way, I'm with Jamie. You can't over-grease them, right? :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought someone on here had discovered that the rubber plug on the bottom did not have a "weep hole" in it, or was it that it did have one and water was being driven up into the steering head?

Either way, I'm with Jamie. You can't over-grease them, right? :D

Yep, whatever the case, grease is a great way to keep water out of things....bit like when you put a frame plug on an FZ6, you will wanna make sure you grease the nut on the end of the swingarm bolt that resides behind your plug, cause condensation WILL build up behind the frame plug, and the end of the swingarm bolt & nut behind the frame plug, will corrode, or rust...

Grease...is the word! :D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ball bearings are the problem , replace with a new roller bearing like i did and you will NEVER look back :thumbup: or replace them again.... Improves the feel instantly.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm I'm beginning to think mine are a bit shonky.It's either that,or the forks are due a rebuild (17K miles)

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it might be the torque setting.
Too loose torque, causes water to enter.
When I changed my bearings, the nut was very loose :eek:

120-dsc_0608.jpg

When mine is up on the center stand there is no detectible resistance whatsoever when I move the bars. A bad setup would cause race damage, accelerated wear, and possile water leakage, among other things. (Now I'll worry!)

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was pretty wonky last season. Bought the roller bearing to replace them but never got the time to do it. I store the bike 50 miles north of me a my buddies house. Ride on the weekends. That is job one this season followed by dropping it off to get tires. Hopefully that will all get done in the next couple weeks.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Owned 2 FZ6s and both needed the head bearing changed... Yamaha should have been using tapered bearings for such an application anyway, and I believe the main reason for the issues is the weak/bad plastic seal of the stock bearing...

S

Shamus McFeeley

Packing them with green grease should help too. Any water that does get in there will be repelled by the grease. I started using it with my dirt bikes and have continued to use it on my cars and street bikes. Great stuff, just don't get it where you don't want it, it makes a mess.

Grease PDF

Last edited by a moderator:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Owned 2 FZ6s and both needed the head bearing changed... Yamaha should have been using tapered bearings for such an application anyway, and I believe the main reason for the issues is the weak/bad plastic seal of the stock bearing...

Total agreement. While I've had no problems with mine, (and hopefully I'll be one of those that never will), I cannot speak from personal experience....
BUT: Looking at the schematics it appears that the bottom has an actual rubber seal while the top only has a "cover". Is this right guy/gals?