Steer tube removal?

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, Anyone know how to remove a steer tube form a lower triple tree? Any knowledge would help. Threading etc.

Thank you.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Do you know if it is the same on 08 R6 triple tree?

The 2008 R6 lower bearing and the dust seal are the same part number as the FZ6 which would lead me to believe that the center post diameter is the same size. However, before attempting to press out the center post you need to remove the retaining ring (see my R1-FZ6 Hybrid Triple below).
picture.php

Last edited:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if it is the same on 08 R6 triple tree?

No, the FZ6 steer tube not the same as the R6r, the only R6r part that's the same is the lower headset bearing, every thing on the R6r steer tube is different.... bigger in diameter, shorter in length, different bearing nuts, the steering lock is so narrow you cant turn the bike, it is NOT an amature's project, but yes you can retro-fit the R6r front end to fit the FZ6, I've done it.

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of figuring this out. I believe that I am going to have a custom steer tube made to press fit into the r6 triple tree, grind down off the original steer lock and make some of my own.

Is there a retaining ring on the lower of the R6 steer tube? If so how can I remove both so I can have them pressed out?

I purchased a gold 2008 R6 inverted fork recently and will do what it takes to have it modified to fit. I believe the steer tube is the biggest modification to be made. The steering lock is a small issue comparatively.

Thank you all for your advice

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Kind of figuring this out. I believe that I am going to have a custom steer tube made to press fit into the r6 triple tree, grind down off the original steer lock and make some of my own.

Is there a retaining ring on the lower of the R6 steer tube? If so how can I remove both so I can have them pressed out?

I purchased a gold 2008 R6 inverted fork recently and will do what it takes to have it modified to fit. I believe the steer tube is the biggest modification to be made. The steering lock is a small issue comparatively.

Thank you all for your advice

I don't think you will need to have a custom Center Post made, the one from your FZ6 should work, or you can buy a used FZ6 triple (that's what I did) on ebay for around $50-$100 (got my used FZ6 Triple for $50 on ebay).

Does the R6 have the retaining ring? I don't know, the R1 and the FZ6 triples I used both did, you should be able to look in the bottom of your triple where I indicated on the drawing and see the ring, if it is there you will have to use a dremel to remove the lip on the bottom of the triple yoke to get to the ring, then you can pry one end up and pull it out with a pair of needle nose.

Don't try to press it out without removing this ring, I snapped a bolt on a 50,000 lb press before I realized this ring was there, luckily I started on the used FZ6 triple so when the yoke was distorted and the bolt on the press snapped I wasn't to worried as I was throwing the used FZ6 triple away anyhow. Let my mistake be your benefit.

Last edited:

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I measured the diameters of the steer tubes on the end that presses into the triple tree. The difference is 3mm, so I believe the only way to make this work is to have a steer tube made. But before I have one made, I am going to have the steer tube pressed out of the R6 triple tree and have one pressed out of a triple tree of the same year as mine that I purchased off the bay. I will keep you up to date on the progress of this mod.
4764654730_179816647e.jpg
4764655114_93b6b70c7a.jpg
4764017233_2b2c55b082.jpg

Here are some pics of the mod that I am doing.

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great idea!! Thanks much for that. But you did say that there is a retaining ring on these, correct? I suspect that one exists on the new one as well.

Great project on yours, mine is naked as well. I did the OEM Naked headlight and bracket from Ireland and some other mods. Here are some pics.

4764901580_029e7184b7.jpg
4764261689_146baf5774.jpg
4764262099_d28c15f666.jpg
4764900934_2558afc311.jpg