Stebel Air Horn Install

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a Stebel on my 2008 FZ6 tonight and took plenty of pics. I was unhappy with most of the installs I've seen online thus far as they are either too exposed or done with velcro and zip ties. I'm not trying to knock others efforts. I just wanted some kind of mechanical fastener due to the weight of the horn and vibration and I wanted the horn hidden.

I used a single stainless 1/4-20 x 1" screw with a nylon spacer and a square nut. I had to drill one hole in the plastics which leaves an exposed head, but it looks like it belongs there. For those of you that want the easiest most discreet looking Stebel install, I'd say this is about the best spot for the unit.

I pulled power after the main relay so that the horn would not function when the key was off. I also installed a 20 amp fuse block prior to the horn. The relay is mounted using one of the existing panel screws. If it pukes, I can swap it out in 5 minutes.

I installed foam mounting tape in between the horn and the panel wherever there was contact to minimize vibration. It worked out real well. I can lay on the horn and there is no buzzing in the plastics.

HOOONNNNK!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Jody! :thumbup: You said you wanted to hide it and you did an excellent job! Where you've mounted it, it will not get the driven rain up the openings and cause problems like others have had. :rockon:

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
So, how loud is it?
I'm sorry what was that...? I cant hear so good. You see I was honking this 139 dB horn inside my little garage all night.

It's as loud if not a little louder than my Nissan Titan's horn. It's a vast improvement over the stocker. When the weather improves I'll get out on the highway and do some "cager response testing" with it.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work Jody.
I mounted mine under the left fairing cover and I used a metal L bracket to fasten it to an existing screw and it hasn't moved in 12 months.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled power after the main relay so that the horn would not function when the key was off.

But you wired the relay to the horn switch right? So the only way it could function is if the key was on anyways.
I wired mine directly to the battery and haven't had any problems. I guess it could theoretically "leak" power if it had a short.

The stebel horn is awesome!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
question for you guys that have done this horn.

i was looking at it on twisted throttle and they have a wiring kit for it that comes with a relay. did y'all get that or just get the horn? if i get just the horn, what other things am i going to have to buy to hook this up?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased the horn option. It came with a relay to use for the install. However my horn seems to be hit and miss sometimes. I believe the relay is a bit faulty and I plan on replacing it at some point.

-bryan

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
But you wired the relay to the horn switch right? So the only way it could function is if the key was on anyways.

Well yes, that's how the stock horn is wired as well. Your stock horn wont' work either unless your key is turned to 'ON'. I wired my Stebel the same way as why would I need my horn to work when my bike is fully off? You don't really want anything electrical to work when the bike is off (unless you have really cool LED undeglow lighting you want to play with! ;))

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I wired mine directly to the battery and haven't had any problems. I guess it could theoretically "leak" power if it had a short.

The stebel horn is awesome!

Yes, the leads for the existing horn both go straight to the relay.

Hindsight 20/20 I should have placed the fuse inline prior to the relay and not after it. If the relay shorts out, I'll blow my main fuse instead of the horn fuse first. Perhaps when I dig back in there to do a headlight mod I'll fix the mistake. The horn come with a wiring diagram that is right on.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
Well yes, that's how the stock horn is wired as well. Your stock horn wont' work either unless your key is turned to 'ON'. I wired my Stebel the same way as why would I need my horn to work when my bike is fully off? You don't really want anything electrical to work when the bike is off (unless you have really cool LED undeglow lighting you want to play with! ;))

True. I guess what I really wanted to say is that there will not be power present at the relay (on either circuit) when the key is off. If I came right off the battery, I'd have a hot lead at the relay at all times.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
question for you guys that have done this horn.

i was looking at it on twisted throttle and they have a wiring kit for it that comes with a relay. did y'all get that or just get the horn? if i get just the horn, what other things am i going to have to buy to hook this up?

I bought just the horn and picked up the rest at Autozone.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the Stebel and almost bought one.

But I opted for the Fiamm Freeway Blaster. It is only few DB less than the Stebel and will mount where the stock horn is. No need to rewire.

I feel that it is very loud and much better than the stock horn. It is also half the price of the Stebel.

No judgment, just mentioning an alternative.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the Stebel and almost bought one.

But I opted for the Fiamm Freeway Blaster. It is only few DB less than the Stebel and will mount where the stock horn is. No need to rewire.

I feel that it is very loud and much better than the stock horn. It is also half the price of the Stebel.

No judgment, just mentioning an alternative.

I have a Stebel and mounted onto the exhisting stock horn location. held up by a single bolt. Even used part of the wires too.