Stebel Air horn fitment

macy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows the amp rating of the standard FZ6 horn relay. I have just bought a Stebel compact horn and noticed that the provided relay is 30amp.
It would save a whole lot of work if the Yamaha relay was up to the 30amp pull.....Would be just a case of removing the Yamaha horn and bolting up the Stebel.

Any advice would be good...........Cheers guys.:D.....Macy

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That horn pulls a bunch of current.

Your also using one of the Yamaha horn lines as a signal wire which is tied back to the relay.

I would think if you tied both the signal wire and the 30 amp relay wire to the stock yamaha horn harness you'd probably fry the horn button/harness as its not designed to carry that much load....

The battery is right there, I would't chance wiring it (the 30amp hot wire) anywhere but direct to the battery (as directed)...

As a side note, the Stebel relay is not known for its longevity, I'd place it somewhere not hard to get to (I placed mine under the left inner black fairing) for easy replacement should it go out...

Scott

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just searched "stebel horn fit*" (the asterix in the last word is necessary as the word is less than 4 letters), and I found a couple of interesting threads, in one of them it says that the fitted FZ6 horn is only 2.5 amps.
Hope this helps in some way.

macy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that guys, I have ordered up some heavy guage wire (super flexi) and a fuse and holder.
Can't wait to fit this, just tried it on the bench and my ears are still ringing. I only hope it does'nt give Ma & Pa Kettle a heart attack when I come up behind them.

Keep the shiny side up................Macy:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine with the install kit so it was all there. I forgot you can get it without the kit. Once done, it is WELL WORTH the work..

Saved my butt several times... Got it on 2 of my 3 bikes (couldn't find room on the FJR)...

Scott

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, the Stebel relay is not known for its longevity, I'd place it somewhere not hard to get to (I placed mine under the left inner black fairing) for easy replacement should it go out...

Scott

I'm on my 2nd horn. But for $40, well worth it.

One a side note, I have my Stebel mounted where the exhisting stock horn was mounted.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't heard anything bad (longevity) on the horn itself, just the relay that comes with the kit.

I mounted mine behind the left side of the fairing, just sticking out from the inner black fairing. I made a short bracket out of 1/8" aluminum(approx 1" wide), drilled one hole in the fairing main stay and tucked it in neatly. You can't see it unless you look for it...

Scott

J-Speed Inc.

Owner of J-Speed Inc.
Reaction score
jspeedinc.webs.com
When I had a Stebel installed on my FZ6, I modified the original horn bracket to mount the Stebel horn above the front fender. This worked well unless the front end was compressed heavily such as when travelling over railroad tracks or speed bumps. Needless to say, the Stebel didn't last very long and eventually had to be replaced.

I replaced it with an Fiamm Freeway Blaster Low Note Horn horn I picked up at Advance Auto Parts which is mounted underneath the left-side inner fairing. It's been installed there for a few months now and I've had no problems with it! Remember that with most aftermarket horns, it's a good idea to run a relay inline with the power to take the strain off the switch as well as the electrical system.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
it sucks that yours didn't last. I beat my fz6 pretty hard when it had my horn, took it off and never installed it on any other bike (it sat around for years) and now I have it installed on my car and still works great.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
If you have the faired version, you can mount it up inside either the left or right front faring.

stebel2.JPG

Up and out of the way and also hidden and protected from the elements. :thumbup: Mine's going on 3 years with no problems (and I added in a realy).