Steal This Idea: Lower bars, the hard way

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw something about the FZ6R on another board and one of the pictures gave me an idea.

After getting some much-appreciated pics from CravenMoorhead, it looks like there may be a way to lower the handlebars on either an FZ6R or an FZ6 proper.

Intrigued?

The 6R uses an upper triple that is somewhat like the 1st gen FZ1. By that, I mean that the bar risers look very much like they are a separate, and thus replaceable casting from the triple itself. That in itself is nice, but fairly useless info.

Here's where it gets interesting:

The 1st gen FZ1 had a GYTR option (# ABA-5LV91-60) for lower handlebar risers. More details available @ Pat's FZ1 page.

I haven't done any legwork on this other than a bit of Google-fu. I don't know if that GYTR piece is still available, nor whether the 6R triple is a bolt-on replacement for the regular FZ6. It sure looks like the 6R uses the same old crappy forks as the pre-2007 FZ6, so I'm thinking that triple compatibility is quite likely.

So, like the title says: steal this idea. I probably won't be able to do much if any of the meatspace legwork on this idea for a few weeks, but it seems like there is quite a lot of potential goodness here.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
my understanding is he hopes that the fz6r has its riser built SEPARATELY into the top clamp like the fz1. the fz6 has its built into the casting.

if it did have this feature, it would look like this
lbm08.jpg

if it had the same mounting dimensions and if its the same as the fz6r he can use the fz1 gytr lower handlebar riser.

Last edited:

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly right. Unfortunately this is a non-starter for the FZ6 crowd since the forks are skinnier on the 6R.

The 6R guys can theoretically replace their existing bar risers with the GYTR riser, roughly ~1" shorter than stock.