squeeky brakes

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody have a quick fix for squeeky front brakes? After storing the bike for the winter, my front brakes now squeek when I apply a little pressure, but the noise goes away upon applying more pressure.

Thanks, Nick

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they have some stuff at the auto parts store that is supposed to stop the brakes from squeaking. I have never used it but i would imagine there would be no ill effects since it is made for brake use.

You could also use some brake cleaner (be cautious about not getting it on the paint) since squeaking can be an indication of something on the disks.

H

HavBlue

Take the break pads off and rub them with a bit of sand paper just enough to take the glassy look off them

Yup, brake pad glazing can often cause some big time squeaks and scuffing the pads gets rid of it every time. I would however suggest switching over the the Lyndall carbon Kevlar pads and this will never be a problem nor will you have any future brake dust. You will also notice a much better feedback from the brakes.

W

wrightme43

I use brake clean on my rotors applied with a rag quite often. You would be amazed at the stuff that comes off. Road grime, grease, oil, and what not.
I put the new Galfer cermic/sintered pads on my bike with stainless lines quite a while back. The new pads squeek a little but they stop like crazy. LOL

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
To de-glaze the pads, I would use wet & dry paper - the stuff for rubbing down paintwork. Use a fairly coarse grade (dry), put the paper on a piece of sheet glass, hold the pad by the metal mounting plate & gently rub the pad over the paper keeping it flat to the glass. Check regularly, you'll see when the pads are done when they have a uniform finish all over. Repeat for all pads.

My old Volvo has no anti-squeal shims on the front brake pads, so when I change the pads, I put a smear of copper grease on the BACK of the pads. Any takers, does this work on bikes too?

H

HavBlue

Does Lyndall make brake pads for Yamaha?

The answer would be no. I called Lyndall 1-800-400-9490 and talked with a rep. The rep said they are scheduled to come out with a line for the FZ6 in October of 2008. I asked if this would cover 2004 through 2008 and he said yes. I use their pads in my Sportster and they are awesome. They leave no brake dust and my wheels stay nice. They do however make them for the R1, R6, Gixer, Busa and Buell XB series.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
In your locacl Pepboys/Autozone equivalent there should be a small aerosol can of CRC Brake Quiet. It sprays a thin foam/material on teh back of your pads, which act like copper grease. A light spray of this on the BACK of your brakepads should work. I did this when I had squeeky brakes on my car and the bike. After the spray it was no problem... then I cleaned the pistons and pads, but forgot the spray. Now I get a little bit of a squeek, but the couple of months before no noise.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Every yamaha i have ever owned has had squeeky brakes. I would just deal with it till i needed new pads then i would buy after market. Couldnt tell you which brand, its whatever the local bike shop has in stock.

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently notice mine started to make noise when breaking, and I thought it's time to replace them, but when I took them off I saw a lot of breaking meat left.

I'd like to try pedwards89 method, simple idea. Something might got stuck down there that causes the noise.

BTW. What break pads would you recommend with stock rotors? I'd like to have more stopping power then what stock pads provide, which I use for about 2.5 years now. Still a lot of padding left, but not much stopping power IMO.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Typically squeek is not from the pads/rotos but from backplate rubbing against pad/piston. Take calipers off, remove pads and clean all components thoroughly with brake cleaner (except pad braking surface itself). Take another clean rug and now clean pad itself. Take synthetic brake lube and lubricate all parts real good - again do not lube the actual brake pad area which is in contact with rotor but do lube back plates, put a bit on pistons, etc. Clean rotors with brake cleaner before putting everythign back together.
Squeek should go away.
I do not believe in all anti-squeek aerosols, etc as they just mask the problem and do not work most of the time. Brakes are crucial component of the bike and deserve good cleaning and lubing at least once a year.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently notice mine started to make noise when breaking, and I thought it's time to replace them, but when I took them off I saw a lot of breaking meat left.

I'd like to try pedwards89 method, simple idea. Something might got stuck down there that causes the noise.

BTW. What break pads would you recommend with stock rotors? I'd like to have more stopping power then what stock pads provide, which I use for about 2.5 years now. Still a lot of padding left, but not much stopping power IMO.

EBC HH pads are great. Make sure to bleed brake lines after install - you will notice great difference right away. If your brake lines more then 4 years old - think about getting braided lines. Stock lines are recommended to replace every four years so may as well get braided.