Squealing front end

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Alrighty, so I'm trying to figure out what could possibly make a squealing noise from the front end... I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, so there are no immediately changes to link it to. The only reason I noticed this is I had my faceshield lifted up half-way and could hear the noise - otherwise it isn't loud enough to hear with a helmet on.

The noise occurs mostly at lower speeds between 3-4k RPMs in every gear. It doesn't seem to be related to the brakes or clutch. I put the bike up on the center stand and I'm NOT able to reproduce the issue. I've also tried turning both front and rear tires on the stand and cannot hear or see anything out of the ordinary. The fan seems to be running as expected too. The best description is it sounds identical to a slipping alternator/serpentine belt on a car.

My first thoughts are possibly the front wheel bearings or the axle somehow?

And before someone else mentions it, I did "search" and the nearest thread I could find was relating to the clutch because the owner was dropping it at 10k RPMs at the drag strip - which I haven't done, and again the issue doesn't occur on the center stand at 3-4k RPMs, so to me that probably rules it out. I had also read about "glazing" of the brake pads, and I checked those and they seem fine. I might try roughing them up a bit just to be sure.

Any suggestions before I start tearing into it? My next plan of attack is to pull the front axle, regrease it, and grab a torque wrench to ensure it is torqued properly.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately no engine guards. I tried greasing the axle to no avail. Any other ideas? It's a very faint squeal, but it is definitely there... I'll play with it tomorrow a bit more and see where it ends up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately no engine guards. I tried greasing the axle to no avail. Any other ideas? It's a very faint squeal, but it is definitely there... I'll play with it tomorrow a bit more and see where it ends up.
Do you get the noise when you spin the wheel and press the brakes?
It might be brake dust build up or wear on the pads causing the noise.
Can you roll down a hill in neutral with the engine off to get a better idea of the noise?

let us know what you discover.

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if you have access to an air compressor, blow the front calipers out as they tend to collect alot of brake dust. I blow mine out every couple of weeks or so and a bunch of fine dust will come out (the calipers have been rebuilt so theres NOT EXCESS dragging).

Re scruffing the pads, I'd try it. A pretty cheap and accurate tip I'll pass on, scuff the pads on a nice FLAT piece, (semi smooth) piece on the sidewalk. It doesn't take much. Also, when re-assembling the front brake pads put just a light layer of BRAKE SPECIFIC GREASE on the BACK of the PADs. If their dragging a little more than normal, they can vibrate and make that squeeling noise. The grease should eliminate that sound.

BTW, per Yamaha, the brake calipers should be re-built every TWO YEARS. In real life, you can usually get 4-5 years without excessive dragging. Excessive dragging is if you go for a ride, STOP with the rear brake only, then FEEL the front rotors. They should be cool, cold to the touch. If their hot, warm to the touch they need servicing(new seals, cleaning). Less than 1/2-3/4 of a by hand " free spin" is getting excessive drag. I currently get about 4.5 full rotation "free spins" since replacing the seals. It was about 3/4 of a full rotation before.

Please post what you find and good luck (I suspect its in the braking system or worn pads, seals).

The clutch is wet with oil and is HIGHLY UNLIKELY of squeeling. Worn wheel bearings usually cause odd handling but if worn, I suppose they could cause the front wheel to c..k causing the brakes to not run true to the wheel. Besides removing the wheel and feeling the performance of the bearings, you may be able to feel play in the bearings after locking the steering to each side and leaning on the wheel (feeling for any side play). Worn front bearings, under normal use are somewhat rare on the FZ. Deep water riding, different story..

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
. The only reason I noticed this is I had my faceshield lifted up half-way and could hear the noise - otherwise it isn't loud enough to hear with a helmet on.

I know this sounds stupid but are you sure the noise is't coming from the face shield being half up.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the sound change with the speed you're traveling? Pitch or volume?

Does it change with engine speed? Or only when you are moving?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Start with the easy stuff like checking the brakes. Mine squeak a little bit right now. I'm pretty sure mine are due for new seals, though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't have compressed air you can buy a can of it or use a garden hose. The holy rotors will displace the water quickly.

You said you pulled the axle out? Did you apply pressure and spin each of the wheel bearings to feel for roughness? Also was there any sign of a red looking dust from anything? You did completely remove the wheel, yes?

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Townsend, Excellent advice. I did pull the pads off and scuffed them up. I also applied a synthetic grease to the back of each pad as well. I'll have to check the rotation, but the wheel does free spin pretty easily - I did try free spinning the wheel and while I can hear a slight noise free spinning the wheel it doesn't seem to be anything near the squealing that I have at low speeds when accelerating. I'll report back with how much rotation I have from a decent free spin.

Steve, yes the noise is not caused by my helmet. I took the bike down the street with my helmet off (had never done this before) and the squealing persisted.

Fizzer, it does seem to change with the speed of the bike, but I can't be positive it changes with the speed of the engine or not since they go hand in hand. I planned to find a hill somewhere and test for the noise in neutral with the engine off... I just need to find a hill big enough.

Paul, I pulled the brakes off the other night and checked - no signs of any brake dust build up on them or the calipers & pistons.

FinalImpact, I used a brush and lightly cleaned the pistons and surrounding area, but I'll go blow them off with some compressed air after I finish this post. As for the axle, I did pull it out all the way and yes the wheel as well, but did not try turning the wheel bearings by hand (though logically I should have). I might give that a try tomorrow night.

On a complete side note, I tried grasping the center of the handle bars and I'm not 100% sure, but it may have reduced the noise slightly... Sounds weird and maybe I was going to fast to hear it, but I'll double check after doing some of the above mentioned things and report back.

Last edited:

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to follow up on this. I know it's been awhile and I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I'm pretty sure it's most likely being caused by the brakes. I tested a free spin and I'd say it's maybe just over 1 full rotation. I also test drove it without ever using the front brakes and while the rotors are not hot by any means, they are slightly warm.

Hopefully sometime this week I'll do one final test of coasting down a hill with the motor off just for confirmation purposes. It's my belief though at this point that the noise is being caused by the calipers given the fact everything else has pretty much been covered already. I know it was mentioned at two years to rebuild them, given the fact they don't seem to drag too much, does anyone recommend doing it immediately or maybe waiting until winter?

(On a side note, the issue was NOT caused by my face shield being cracked open. I tested it without a helmet on... first time ever riding as a squid, but it was very short lived and will probably never happen again.)

domasfrom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, i know that this topic is kind of old, but i am new with the bike, and i have noticed, that there is a strange squealing noise from the front end, like was mentioned " The best description is it sounds identical to a slipping alternator/serpentine belt on a car". So my question is, what it could be? maybe there are more people, who had this problem? The noise sounds even when motorcycle isn't go anywhere, just idling, with higher rpm's, the squealing rate is increasing

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, i know that this topic is kind of old, but i am new with the bike, and i have noticed, that there is a strange squealing noise from the front end, like was mentioned " The best description is it sounds identical to a slipping alternator/serpentine belt on a car". So my question is, what it could be? maybe there are more people, who had this problem? The noise sounds even when motorcycle isn't go anywhere, just idling, with higher rpm's, the squealing rate is increasing

Obviously something in the engine...

Can you post an audio / video walking around the bike, while it's running and sounds the worst..

Is the bike "new" to you?

Has the bike been laid down, especially on the left side (check cases for scratches)?

Mileage?

Any recent work done to it?

Last oil change?

Is the cam chain tensioner the STOCK, OEM unit?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A cheap easy tool is an empty paper towel tube. Place it to your ear and point and listen.
Mainly I've used this for finding vacuum leaks on more complex vehicles.

The other aid is a simple long wood dowel. An example is the handle on toilet plunger. Start fresh if that works for you but once again, place one end on the suspect area and the other in your good ear. Now poke about and see what you find.
I'd suspect the water pump, cam chain guides. Start on that side of the block.
With a helper, place the bike in gear, clutch in, brakes on, and listen again. That will isolate some of the rotating noise.

Good luck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the cam chain has worn through a guide?

I wouldn't think a worn thru guide would sound like a worn / slipping auto belt...

Maybe if the upper guide came off the valve cover and jambed up against the belt??

I think I'd drain the oil and cut open the oil filter just to check for anything that shouldn't be there...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't think a worn thru guide would sound like a worn / slipping auto belt...

Maybe if the upper guide came off the valve cover and jambed up against the belt??

I think I'd drain the oil and cut open the oil filter just to check for anything that shouldn't be there...

Oh - like the timing belt!!!! Copy that! Blah

On a more serious note; does it change pitch with clutch in, clutch out? That little bearing in the clutch hat could haven taken hiatus!

domasfrom

Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously something in the engine...

Can you post an audio / video walking around the bike, while it's running and sounds the worst..

Is the bike "new" to you?

Has the bike been laid down, especially on the left side (check cases for scratches)?

Mileage?

Any recent work done to it?

Last oil change?

Is the cam chain tensioner the STOCK, OEM unit?

This sound was temporary, when i was riding in the traffic with a passenger, after i leave the town, noise ended, so i can't record sound of it. yes the bike is "new" to me, it is my first bike. i haven't noticed any sign that the bike been laid down. few weeks ago i have changed all liquids and spark plugs, fork seals and front brake pads. About cam chain tensioner, i have no idea is it stock or not. it got 13k miles, again i have no clue is it real, i boughted before the winter, and from then i have about 600 miles on my own