Sports bike v old Rat bike!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny video. Yeah the torque is the deal out of the hole. After that.....:thumbup:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
It's entertaining alright but as stated by many perfectly understandable given the differences in torque and it's delivery across the RPM range between these bikes.

Torque to accelerate, HP to fight wind, that was my understanding of the differences basically so torque helps down low, HP at higher speeds.

In a local track race there was a guy who spanked everyone in all the races with a diesel bmw 120d chip tuned to 200HP and nearly 500Nm @ ~2k rpm, he went against M3s (350 something HP) and such and won the championship 2 years in a row on torque and skill only, later the organizers considered banning diesels from the races altogether...

Coming back to this, I'd still take the Honda :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of like mass vs time.

That rat Harley is prolly 500 plus pounds. But those big pistons with that long stroke equate to more mass being moved in a shorter time. Even if the Fireblade has the same amount of torque it can't deliver it in the very beginning because it hasn't reached the rpm where it's motor can realize it's potential vs time. When it does reach that sequential sweet area it can deliver it's potential.

That big twin is delivering it's potential vs time very early and then it loses holding it's potential at higher rpm. Part of it's loss is maintaining that push at higher rpm. The physical mass of the pistons and valves are harder to maintain physical integrity at higher rpms. The 1000cc inline 4 cylinder is capable of much higher rpm because of the reduced mass of the component. The tradeoff is torque vs time and how power is developed in the actual design.
Now take the twin, shorten the stroke, lower valve mass by using multiple valves and change it to a 90 degrees. It's still got loads of torque early on and can maintain it at much higher rpm.

Here's a video about torque.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgLNO3ThGD4]Horsepower vs Torque - Explained - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with all of y'all lol IMHO the Harley won not because of tq but because of his ability to launch his bike much harder. With the bike being much longer he can launch pretty close to wide open and it wouldn't wheelie if he can get traction (the burnout) plus with that horribly squared off tire I bet he had a much larger contact patch as well. Now, find someone who could launch the "Yamasuki" better it would have a better chance, throw a wheelie bar and drag tire on, and he's eating the Harley's lunch!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Say what you want but at $12k squidmobile just got beat by a $600 homemade piece-o-crap. I'm sure if you throw a bunch more money into the CBR it may beat the HD but whats the point.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Beat at what, accelerating in a straight line from 0 up to 40mph? Guess all those engineers designing these bikes know nothing after all eh, they should hire that old man do the work :)

The CBR doesn't need any money thrown in it already beats that HD in every riding related way imaginable except one shown in this video...

Say what you want but at $12k squidmobile just got beat by a $600 homemade piece-o-crap. I'm sure if you throw a bunch more money into the CBR it may beat the HD but whats the point.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with all of y'all lol IMHO the Harley won not because of tq but because of his ability to launch his bike much harder. With the bike being much longer he can launch pretty close to wide open and it wouldn't wheelie if he can get traction (the burnout) plus with that horribly squared off tire I bet he had a much larger contact patch as well. Now, find someone who could launch the "Yamasuki" better it would have a better chance, throw a wheelie bar and drag tire on, and he's eating the Harley's lunch!

I beat pre 09 R1's out of the hole every time I launch the SV. My bike makes 120 HP but the pre 09 make what, 160 HP Out of the hole.... Post 09 R1's are a different story because they are cross plane crank motors and have awesome low end torque compared to the pre 09 R1's.

Engine design does have something to do with this race.

True if you put a wheelie bar, a fat tire, and a coffee grinder on the Yamasuki it would beat the Rat. Truthfully the race is won in the first few feet of the launch and once the Rat is in front of the Yamsuki the Yamasuki can't safely accelerate any more and has to shut down.

I think the video is more in the realm of comedy and not anything about serious racing. Torque is torque. I don't care if you run 26 miles every day when a you arm wrestle with a weight lifter.....

Today, Hildo is my hero! LOL! :BLAA:

vlcsnap-2013-03-30-10h21m47s55.png

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That's all nothing but truth, tq does play a huge part but IMHO in that short of a race I'm still sticking with the ability to launch the bike. Most hardcore drag racers only care about 60ft times on vehicles that are similarly matched (although I'd say this is a far cry from anything similar)

yes I agree the video was purely for entertainment :BLAA:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The CBR shut down early. I'd like to see a real 1/8 or 1/4 mile race. That 'ole HD doesn't stand a chance.