my garage vs. another garage

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Long(er) story short, last Sunday was an interesting day for me.

1) I bought a new winter project - a 1990 Yamaha FZR600. It is not running, and the condition is kinda' unknown. It was very cheap ($300), has 57k miles, and comes with a 2nd-engine and a bunch of unopened OEM/Yamaha parts (reportedly one of the engines was race-prepped - though I'm not certain what that means). It was a 1-owner bike - sadly the previous owner apparently has Alzheimer's, and is in a facility, so his wife is getting rid of his projects. It's not clear when this bike last run, but - something about the story appealed to me. It might take awhile, but I'll get this running again.

2) I also was given a chinese (Znen) 150cc scooter by a friend. It hasn't run since he got it for his wife, so... 6-7 years ago? All of 74 miles on the odometer. I have it running, it's not fast but it's quite fun, and my 17 year-old loves it. The challenge will be getting it titled and licensed (never was, and not sure my buddy has the manufacturer's certificate of origin).

3) I now have 5 bikes in my possession... a mini-bike, Suzuki DR100, Yamaha FZ6, Yamaha FZR100, Yamaha FZR600, and a chinese scooter.

All those things said, that was not the most interesting part of the day.

The guy I bought the FZR600 from - who is helping the old-guy's wife - had five beautiful bikes in his garage. Both he and his wife ride, and do track-days on a regular basis. His garage was inspiring. His wife has 2 track bikes, both red - an R3 and a CBR600RR. She also has a BWW G650 (adv). He has an Africa Twin, and his main bike is an F800ST. There was also a dirt-bike against the garage wall, but I didn't catch the model, it was kind of covered up. I even asked if I could take pictures, it was that beautiful to see. And they used those bikes, this wasn't just a collection that gathered dust.

I guess you never know what can lurk in someone's garage.