Spencer Seat Modification

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok - I have been looking for a new seat, but couldnt fork out the money for a Corbin or Top Sellerie (Saddlery), so I opted to send my seat of to Spencer's in Florida Flash Intro Page

The guy was so prompt in his replies that I immediately felt comfortable with him and the reviews on the site have been good as well. I will let you know what comes of it, but the only down side has been UPS shipping charges (yuck). Pics and more to follow.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:The seat will look unchanged. I did the upgrade this spring before starting the season. It was nothing but pleasure - he's quick to reply, and turned my seat around in 1 week. as far as UPS charges, i followed his advice and opened a ups account - it ended up not costing that much.
The result is very comfortable seat - i can ride for hours w/o a problem, whereas on the stock seat i was getting uncomfortable after about 30 mins or so.
He'll definitely get more business from me with my next bike.:rockon:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
The result is very comfortable seat - i can ride for hours w/o a problem, whereas on the stock seat i was getting uncomfortable after about 30 mins or so.
He'll definitely get more business from me with my next bike.:rockon:[/QUOTE]

I have a ups account, what was the cost of the upgrade? I am very interested on sending my seat to him.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a ups account, what was the cost of the upgrade? I am very interested on sending my seat to him.

I paid $90 for entire seat with Supracor plus shipping. I can't look up the cost quickly, but i dont remember it being too expensive - I did pack the seat tightly though - i built a custom box out of a larger box to keep dimensions in check. On his site, in FAQ section he talks about the dimensions.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Spencers Mods - Best money I have spent on my FZ6. Way better than a stock seat or the Yamaha Gel seat.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to throw into this thread my experience as well. My info is 5'6" 29" inseam 195 lbs (hopefully not for long lol)

I just shipped my seat to spencer today as well. I use the same funky box i received my spare seat in from gopostarmy. He just folded over a box and used news paper. It shaped like the seat and protected great since his seat arrived to me with no damage. :thumbup:

This is part of the email he sent me:

"The typical requests for the single piece FZ6 seat are correction of the seats angle to provide a more neutral position with less of a forward slant to the tank, creation of an actual supportive seating pocket, and a softening of the frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch. These changes combine to better distribute the riders weight across the width of the seat rather than concentrating it in the crowned center.

Adding the Supracor material included in the LD mod is definitely recommended. It will allow a more form fitting shape, provide better weight distribution, reduce vibration in the seat, and dampen road shock. The Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the riders section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. The Supracor does not effect the seats final height and is highly recommended since the seat foam is thinned when lowered. You can find more information about the material HERE.

As mentioned the single section FZ6 rider seating area can be dropped about an inch, more would be nice but the seat pan shape prevents narrowing so any more and it starts to force the legs outward making it harder to reach the ground.

Pricing would be the standard minimum of $50 for the actual work to the rider area and a $25 material charge for the Supracor. I am currently not charging for lowering, hope you don't mind :) There is no reason to touch the passenger area if not needed but If you add the passenger area at the same time it only increases your modification cost by $15, but again only if needed, it doesn't effect the rider either way."

I am having him do all this to the seat including lowering it. I will post back in this thread to update my experience. The great thing about it is i have another seat to ride until this one comes back, and i can also compare apples to apples on if the mod actually made a huge difference by just putting the stock seat back on and going for a ride :rockon:

So my total was $75 + shipping there from san diego was $18 + $18 return shipping via UPS with NO ups account. So $111 for a more comfortable seat which will lower my riding height?? HELL YES, Cheaper then lowering springs and will be more comfortable :Flash:

We will see if it lives up to the hype when i get the seat back :D

Last edited:

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna check this out. 3 1/2 years ago the stock seat didn't bother me. Now it kills after 20 minutes. Definitely sounds like money well spent.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates on this seat? I've been thinking about doing something with mine as well.

Thanks!!
My update is its getting worked on lol. I will post up when i get it back on if its worth the money or not :thumbup:

This was his email this morning:

Wanted to let you know that I have taken delivery of your seat. Yours is on schedule to be completed and ship home before the end of business tomorrow (Th 8-18)

Break in miles are important but relatively quick, usually no more than a few tanks of gas for everything to start to relax, settle, and begin forming to your shape.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates on this seat? I've been thinking about doing something with mine as well.

Thanks!!

I am think about doing this too. Shipping from GA to FL shouldnt be much and approx. 100 bucks is well worth a better seat.

D

Deleted member 17211

I think I will do this too, but I need to touch base with him about one specific quality I'd like for my seat. ;)

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I am think about doing this too. Shipping from GA to FL shouldnt be much and approx. 100 bucks is well worth a better seat.

I just sent mine off today. Shipping was roughly $14 each way. Be careful with the box size, they wanted $35 each way with their oversized box, I made my own :)

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I just sent mine off today. Shipping was roughly $14 each way. Be careful with the box size, they wanted $35 each way with their oversized box, I made my own :)

Agreed. The box i used another member made it but its looks like a cheese wedge lol. I will take a pic if i get it back in the same box.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
So the seat is probably sitting at my UPS Store waiting for pick up - will go and grab early next week. From the email he sent me it looks like it will a little bit of time to conform to your sitting position (said 2 fill ups worth of riding). As others have said - it will look exactly the same on the outside, but the inside will be a totally different story. Looking forward to getting it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the one I got off a guy on here. It's tons firmer, but supportive so it feels like sitting in a chair instead of straddling a log.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I was going to wait to comment on mine in another thread, but I guess if no one minds I'll piggyback off of larcklorn's thread.

I sent mine off Thursday, and got it back the next Thursday. I only rode Friday and today (Monday) to and from work (23 miles each way) - but so far I like it. He said it will take a couple tanks of gas to get it to settle in, and I can feel a difference with just 2 days worth of riding (about 100 miles). It is firmer yet cushy if that makes any sense. Like DownrangeFuture said a couple posts up, it feels more like an actual chair cushion. Moving around on the seat is no different then the original, there is no padding shift at all. I was a bit concerned there may be some movement as he uses a few different kinds of material, but the seat padding feels like it's one piece. I was going to take some pictures, but it looks just like it did when I sent it out so there was no point.

At first I wasn't sure how much I was going to like it over the other option I had considered (Top Sellerie), but so far I'm happy with my decision. One week from this Sunday I'll be on the bike pretty much all day, so that will be the real test. I am taking an ERC course - it's a 10 hour course and I have to ride about an hour and a half to get there. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the seat performs, but I'm not too worried judging from what I've experienced so far. I would recommend doing this if you want a better ride but don't want to spend the $450 for another seat.

I'll post back after my ERC course, should have about 550-600 miles on it by then.

Last edited: