Speedometer Error

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
My speedo is off (on an SV) by more than 10%. From what I have gathered from other riding buddies, the SV is one of the worst offenders on the market, but also according to them they are all off a little bit, usually around or just under 10%. If it really bugs you to do the math (if the limit is 50, go 55.....if the limit is 70, go 77), get a speedo healer, otherwise, just keep it in mind and it isn't that big a deal. The difference in mileage can't be that huge....

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how a manufacturer has the technology to design and assemble a motorcycle, but can't build an accurate speedo. I don't think our bikes would be ride-able if the other parts were assembled to +5~7% spec.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how a manufacturer has the technology to design and assemble a motorcycle, but can't build an accurate speedo. I don't think our bikes would be ride-able if the other parts were assembled to +5~7% spec.

I agree. I have a speedo-healer on my bike, but only because it was there when I bought it because the guy put a 1 tooth smaller sprocket on the front.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
This is from healtech-electronics website:

What do you gain with SpeedoHealer?
- Accurate speedometer and/or odometer no matter what you change on your vehicle
- Your odometer won't show more miles/kms than you ride (RESALE VALUE!)
- Top Speed Memory (Ever wondered HOW FAST you were going?)
- Safety: your speedometer will always clearly indicate your actual speed, without lag
- Optimal performance (certain vehicles require accurate speed signal to deliver the most performance)

So if what you're saying is true, wouldn't that be false advertising?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
This is from healtech-electronics website:

What do you gain with SpeedoHealer?
- Accurate speedometer and/or odometer no matter what you change on your vehicle
- Your odometer won't show more miles/kms than you ride (RESALE VALUE!)
- Top Speed Memory (Ever wondered HOW FAST you were going?)
- Safety: your speedometer will always clearly indicate your actual speed, without lag
- Optimal performance (certain vehicles require accurate speed signal to deliver the most performance)

So if what you're saying is true, wouldn't that be false advertising?

Yes.

Unless people are doing something wrong.

The output signal from the motor is run through the speedohealer where it is "modified" and sent to the gage cluster so it can be interpreted by the computer, and the speed and distance are calculated and displayed. If you change the input signal, you will change the output.

The only way you can fix the speedometer without effecting the odometer is figure out where the signal is split and put the speedohealer there. Since it's all internal, it's practically impossible to do.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK I believe speedo can read +10% - 0% eg it is allowed to read over but not under.

Added to this manufacturers have to allow for tyres that may be fitted, a tyre with a slightly larger circumference will give a real speed that is slightly faster than a tyre with a smaller circumference.

As a tyre wears you will be going slightly slower than when the tyre was new at the same indicated speed.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site

Some of the error might be due to the sensor measuring the wheel rotation. I suppose they would have to balance cost and accuracy. There might also be some room for error in the analog to digital conversion that is occurring in the microprocessor. However, I agree that the factory should make the speedo more accurate if they are going to incorporate a digital gauge.

I spoke to the dealer here in town and they said they have experienced the same problem and suggested a new gauge cluster might solve the problem, but no guarantees. They also said Yamaha sends them out within a certain tolerance... Such is life I suppose.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
H'mmm so no real fix unless I wana throw down some cash =/

My Jeep and 4Runner speedo's are fine and so were my other vehicles.
The Speedo's are not righton the FZ6. It's not like they couldn't be made correctly. In today's day and age? Give us a break! They are not right and the dealers should have a fix for them. They're not reading correctly on purpose! My dad's 54 Chevy Belair speedo was correct so there shouldn't be a mystery. It's not like they don't understand the technology or they're trying to improve through R&D. C'mon!

Also this isn't a linear error. Doh!!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I find this a really annoying issue with the FZ6. I'm quite conscious of my speed, and think it's criminal negligence on the part of any vehicle manufacturer not to have an accurate spedometer. If you were to have an accident, and a cop asks "how fast were you going", could you say "I have no idea because the spedometer in my vehicle isn't accurate"??? Its like selling a car the goes left when you turn the wheel right...:eek:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I find this a really annoying issue with the FZ6. I'm quite conscious of my speed, and think it's criminal negligence on the part of any vehicle manufacturer not to have an accurate spedometer. If you were to have an accident, and a cop asks "how fast were you going", could you say "I have no idea because the spedometer in my vehicle isn't accurate"??? Its like selling a car the goes left when you turn the wheel right...:eek:

I would agree with that if the speedometer was inaccurate in the reverse of what it is. That is to say that if it said you were going SLOWER than you really are.

In reality they purposefully make it say you're going FASTER than you really are for a variety of reasons.
Speeding is one. Gearing changes is another. Any other reason you'll have to ask all the japanese motorcycle manufacturers.

The error is actually quite low when going street speeds(25-40MPH), and at most legal highway speeds it's only off by 6~MPH at most. It's most off when you're committing a felony.

If you're actually aware of this error and know roughly how fast you're actually going, it's not a problem at all.

I bought a speedohealer, but mainly because I plan on changing my gearing, and that will throw off the speedometer much worse than the factory error.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using my GPS since day one and it's 2-3 mph off between 20-30mph, then 5-6 mph off between 31-70, and 7-10 mph off above that.

Once I'm over 40 I just go with the flow of traffic or 5 mph indicated above the speed limit and figure I'm safe.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't aware that tire is spelled with a "y" in the UK...;)

Well the UK is the home of the English language so it would make sense that is spelled correctly there! We use "tyre" too.

On topic... I ran my Fazer on a dyno once, true top speed was 249km/h and the speedo was reading 276km/h. That's just over 10% out.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Another way to look at this is "I go 110 in the 100 zone because I know that my spedometer is 10% off".

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
to clarify i read on here earlier that the speedo reads fast but the odometer inst off, so the maufacturers purposefully did this. i hate it. as for the legallity of doing 100mph it isnt legal, but i think that if i am going 100mph im on a need to kno basis of what speed im going. So the only logical thing to do is gear it down and get a speedo healer.:rolleyes: but i really think this should be an accurate thing from factory.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
to clarify i read on here earlier that the speedo reads fast but the odometer inst off, so the maufacturers purposefully did this. i hate it. as for the legallity of doing 100mph it isnt legal, but i think that if i am going 100mph im on a need to kno basis of what speed im going. So the only logical thing to do is gear it down and get a speedo healer.:rolleyes: but i really think this should be an accurate thing from factory.

If you have that much of a problem with it, contact Yamaha.