Spark Plug Preference?

FZ Fan

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a proud new owner of a 2007 fz6 and wanted to do all routine maintenance right away.

I want the best plug I can buy for this bike.
What are my options? I'm guessing iridium?

Thank you in advance

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read things about people's mpg going down when using Iridium plugs of the FZ6.

Personally i don't think there is much to gain from iridium plugs and just used stock plugs when i changed mine.

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine out last year and replaced them with NGK (3521) CR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plugs. No problems so far... as to mileage or performance, I'd say more or less the same. I bought them for their supposed longevity.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of people install spark plugs without setting them to the specified gap for the engine they are being used in. So what ever plug you use, set the gap to the engine specification. Because it is a spark device the gap is relative to the voltage and environment it was designed for.

Marketing, sales and others will say just put the plugs in because if it's easier then so will be the sale. That's not how high performance products work.

Check this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=536034&postcount=46

There's a whole thread/pole on this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-plug-choice.html?highlight=spark+plug+choice

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine out last year and replaced them with NGK (3521) CR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plugs. No problems so far... as to mileage or performance, I'd say more or less the same. I bought them for their supposed longevity.

+1 ^^.

I didn't feel any change in performance/mileage. And yes the gap should be checked (WIRE GAUGE) and CAN be adjusted.

NGK Spark Plugs USA

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to look often and WANT to see whats going on inside vs never touching it again.

As such, in went the CR9E (NO "K") which is a single ground strap conventional carbon plug. Easy to adjust, it makes good power and the same or better mpg's as we just obtained 50.8 mpg using them.

PS the OEM plug is pretty much done at 12K miles due to waste spark system. The CR9E's have 7K on them and show no rounding of the corners. Still look like new.

If you pull the plugs be sure to confirm the high tension leads into the caps are snug. They are known to unscrew and degrade the wire over time. See this post: Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html