• Stock NGKs

Votes: 86 36.8%
  • other

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put standards in mine every 20,000km as stated in the maintenance guide. The ones that came out at 20 were perfect so I can't see the poit in changing them more often or going with iridiums.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
I´ve installed NGK´s iridium. If you ask me I can feel the differens between "normal" plugs and this one. The engine is running much smoother and I think the accleration is much better with the iridium plugs.

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here, when I pulled my old ones out they looked like they were brand new too. So I see no reason to change.

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced mine with NGK standard. Not sure of the mileage on these as I bought the bike used. I am glad i dis change them though. Three of the spark plug were loose!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced my stockers with iridiums at 14,000 miles. Stock ones looked perfect and the bike runs exactly the same as far as I can tell. Results may vary...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Purely because the plugs are a bastard to change, I went with long-life Iridiums.

No obvious performance difference noted, but the Iridium says it's good for 100 000kms, so if I even get half of that, I'm happy. (and probably wont have to change my plugs ever again!)

I used to change my plugs every 5000kms on my Z750, CB750 etc!

Cheers,
Rick

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Purely because the plugs are a bastard to change, I went with long-life Iridiums.

No obvious performance difference noted, but the Iridium says it's good for 100 000kms, so if I even get half of that, I'm happy. (and probably wont have to change my plugs ever again!)

I used to change my plugs every 5000kms on my Z750, CB750 etc!

Cheers,
Rick

Yes, they are a bastard to change on the older bikes so I went for the longer lasting plugs. And no difference in the performance for me too.

Replaced my stock plugs at 20k miles and they were perfect. I've had the Iridiums in there ever since, that's almost 60k miles ago.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i also changed the stock plugs at around 25k Km, they looked good and still worked great . iridiums are in now although i dont feel the power its they are probably better for the bike in the long run
im using NGK

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, this talk of using iridiums for their long life has converted me. I always use standard plugs because there never seemed to be a difference in performance in my vehicles. However, it's a bit of pain changing them in the FZ6 and it's a complete knuckle busting nightmare to change them in my Pathfinder.

Iridium here I come.

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the NGK Iridiums and am very happy with them. About 46 MPG around town..(stock gearing, open Scorps)

There was a post not long ago about someone (forgot who, a regular), keeping track of his mileage, found the iridiums, over time, had his gas mileage go down (as I re-call it was quite awhile time wise/mileage).

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
As my bike is still under 5k, I haven't bothered with plugs yet. But I noticed that idle is kinda lousy. My cb750 idles smoother, even when warm.
This is my first FI bike so maybe it is normal.
Since others have gotten a better idle with iridiums, I think I might go that route. Maybe the idle will smooth out for me. I get decent mpg though. I would say I get about 45 or so.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
As my bike is still under 5k, I haven't bothered with plugs yet. But I noticed that idle is kinda lousy. My cb750 idles smoother, even when warm.
Since others have gotten a better idle with iridiums, I think I might go that route. Maybe the idle will smooth out for me. I get decent mpg though. I would say I get about 45 or so.
nothing beats the ngk iridiums plus great long life 10 years plus

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The rough idle is NOT normal. A throttle sync and running some Seafoam thru the fuel system can't hurt.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it is not super rough or lumpy. It just isn't as smooth as I think it should be, being FI and all.
I am sure a sync wouldn't hurt, the bike IS an 06. I got it this spring with just 2800 on. Haven't looked recently but should be getting close to 4500. Riding didn't really get into full swing here till about May though.
So it is 6 years old but low mileage.
I keep forgetting a good shot of seafoam. Used it for years on my other bikes.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
...There was a post not long ago about someone (forgot who, a regular), keeping track of his mileage, found the iridiums, over time, had his gas mileage go down (as I re-call it was quite awhile time wise/mileage).

That was me. In my particular case I found that performance and mileage decreased over a 10,000 mile interval to the point of having misfiring under load. After changing back to the standard NGK plug all of my problems have disappeared.

The thread in question: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/44482-poor-mpg-things-not-always-they-appear.html